Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Dec 25, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #8,776 of 13,432
Just found an interesting sniplet of information in the beginning of the 'Schiit happens' story:
"...you may have heard of Mike Moffat. He was the founder of Theta (the first one, the analog one), in the late 1970s. You can blame him, at least in part, for resurrecting tube audio. He was the first person to use 6DJ8s in audio."
Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard founded Schiit.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #8,777 of 13,432
LOL, not to take anything away from Mike M whom I have the greatest respect but Fisher used the 6DJ8 in 1957 in the FM 90x tuner as a development tube before it even had a proper designtion! Fisher called it a 'Gold Cascode', it then got it's RETMA code as all wanted it. The tube was used in all sorts of audio stuff regularly ever since like the Marantz 9 power amp just as an example in 1960s, Audio research SP 6c? in 70s.....but it is great Mike is still using this stuff.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #8,778 of 13,432
Hi, just got the HD650s and I'm interested in beginning my journey into tube amps; Little Dot seems like a good place to start. What are your thoughts on the Little Dot MK2? Are there any cheaper options that sound just as good?

I really want to experience the "warm" tube sound and experiment with tube rolling, so any advice is appreciated.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #8,780 of 13,432
  Hi, just got the HD650s and I'm interested in beginning my journey into tube amps; Little Dot seems like a good place to start. What are your thoughts on the Little Dot MK2? Are there any cheaper options that sound just as good?

I really want to experience the "warm" tube sound and experiment with tube rolling, so any advice is appreciated.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #8,781 of 13,432

Purchased directly from Little Dot (which is highly recommended as amps purchased from unauthorized vendors are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty) for $136 USD, I am not aware of any other amp costing less that can compare.

On the other hand, based on the experience of a number of posters in this thread, the LD MKIII seems to be a better value, for around $50 more ($189 USD). But for sure, if you can't afford the III, the LD MKII should be fine.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #8,782 of 13,432

If you want warm I would go for La Figaro (LF) / DarkVoice (DV) range over the little dot range. The little dot's (LD) are awesome but are nowhere near as warm as DV and LF. Although I don't own the DV 336se which is in the same price range as the LD MK III, I own its big brother the la figaro 339 and its lovely and warm and is a perfect match with the 650's. There are plenty of threads and reviews out there on the DV 336se which describe it as being quite warm sounding so I would go check them out before making the decision on what entry level tube amp to get.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #8,783 of 13,432
Of course, the DV and LF are wonderful amps. However, in my opinion, warmth is more a function of the tubes, than the amp itself. With warm tubes, and RCAs are some of the warmest, a Little Dot can be quite warm. For example, RCA 5687WA as powers (pin adapters required) and a pair of RCA 6DT6s as drivers. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #8,784 of 13,432
  Of course, the DV and LF are wonderful amps. However, in my opinion, warmth is more a function of the tubes, than the amp itself. With warm tubes, and RCAs are some of the warmest, a Little Dot can be quite warm. For example, RCA 5687WA as powers (pin adapters required) and a pair of RCA 6DT6s as drivers. 

True, I agree with this however with the DV 336se you can run the RCA 6AS7 which is very warm sounding without the hassle of adapters or external heaters which also may be cheaper in the long run due to the price of adapters etc. However if it is diverse tube rolling options that Shrew is looking for then the LD would be better in that respect.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #8,785 of 13,432
Where do I get Socket savers for my Little Dot MK III?  I just want something short that prevents me from screwing up my unit if I swap tubes.  I want to get some EF91 Tubes, so I'll be switching back and forth depending on headphones

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #8,786 of 13,432
  Where do I get Socket savers for my Little Dot MK III?  I just want something short that prevents me from screwing up my unit if I swap tubes.  I want to get some EF91 Tubes, so I'll be switching back and forth depending on headphones

Leeds Radio carries "Test socket 7 pin miniature" for $8.00 which might work for you.

http://leedsradio.com/parts-sockets.html#savers

That said, I have rolled hundreds of tubes through my LD with no apparent damage to the sockets, so I strongly doubt that this is something you have to worry about.

Cheers 

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #8,787 of 13,432

I was going to say this before but i deleted it because i don't want anybody to bite my head off.The LD MK III will not do any justice for your HD 650 even using a C3g tubes.If you can DIY get the CRACK.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #8,789 of 13,432
The HD650 is a very scaleable headphone. The Crack would hardly be endgame. However, at one point you will get a better total by purchasing a higher end headphone.

I refuse to CRACK and purchase a new amp. Those moneys are for Closed Back around ears haha.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #8,790 of 13,432
  True, I agree with this however with the DV 336se you can run the RCA 6AS7 which is very warm sounding without the hassle of adapters or external heaters which also may be cheaper in the long run due to the price of adapters etc. However if it is diverse tube rolling options that Shrew is looking for then the LD would be better in that respect.

Warmth is a personal preference or a signature matching criteria. If you'd asked me whether I favour a very warm amp over a rather neutral amp, I would always decide for the neutral amp. However, warmth does not reflect sound quality, as for example imaging or dynamics and this is important to consider also. If you have both amps at hand, I would be very curious about an A/B comparison with the LD using some nice drivers and - say 5687 power tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back