Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jul 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #6,901 of 13,434
When I first read that I thought B&H don't sell Crack Amplifiers...
biggrin.gif

You going to carve some Celtic designs into the woodwork?

I'am  thinking about making a new case but with all these work i have at home(Just got back home  2 weeks ago and i have tonnes of work)that will be for later i will build it stock for now because i don't know if i will like it or not.If i do like it for sure it will have a newer box and a 1/8'' thick stainless plate(I have the plate cut to size) and if i don't like it it will be for sale this is the other reason i did not buy the HD650  i need to hear the CRACK first.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6,902 of 13,434
Its amazing when you read across other forums like Headfonia that devoid of our informative conversation about Little Dot and valves, everyone raves about the Beyerdynamic A20 being the match made in heaven for the Sennheiser HD650's - does anyone have any point of reference they can share?

And whats all this talk about crack?!

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6,903 of 13,434
  On the chance that someone other than myself would like to try 5687 and similar tubes in their LD, below is a connection table. This assumes the use of an external 9-pin socket, two 7-pin Vector test-sockets and an external heater PS.

For the following double triodes: 5687/CV2578/CV5188, 6900, 7044, 7119/E182CC/CV5766

6.3V mode (external PS required)

Connections between the 9-pin socket and two 7-pin Vector test-sockets installed into the LD driver sockets

9 Pin socket                                 Left LD socket                    Right LD socket

1 plate 2                                                                                         5
2 grid 2                                                                                          1
3 cathode 2                                                                                    2
4 heater -- external PS                                                                    
5 heater -- tied to 4                                   
6 cathode 1                                          2
7 grid 1                                                1
8 heater center tap -- external PS                               
9 plate 1                                               5

And the end result will look something like this. :)

Edit: My Little "Monster" Dot. :)

You are the mad professor...! I haven't got a clue whats going on... but I like it.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #6,904 of 13,434
  You are the mad professor...! I haven't got a clue whats going on... but I like it.

If you are interested in transforming your LD into a Little Monster Dot, the following post will help you get started:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10435226

Cheers

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #6,905 of 13,434
  Its amazing when you read across other forums like Headfonia that devoid of our informative conversation about Little Dot and valves, everyone raves about the Beyerdynamic A20 being the match made in heaven for the Sennheiser HD650's - does anyone have any point of reference they can share?

And whats all this talk about crack?!

Please ignore the CRACK it's nothing.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #6,907 of 13,434
I just got some stuff in the mail for my LDMKII.
Two of 6N6P-i  (just need to check this pair for output/voltages)
Five of 6J1P-EV (6ZH1P-EV) (need testing for 'matching' pairs)
There is a person near Reno NV that has the equipment to test/match the tubes.
I'll post how the sound is after some testing.  This thread was exactly what I needed for information.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #6,908 of 13,434
That would have been a cheaper option for my self, If I had a tube tester and knew how to use it.

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,909 of 13,434
I just got some stuff in the mail for my LDMKII.
Two of 6N6P-i  (just need to check this pair for output/voltages)

Five of 6J1P-EV (6ZH1P-EV) (need testing for 'matching' pairs)
There is a person near Reno NV that has the equipment to test/match the tubes.
I'll post how the sound is after some testing.  This thread was exactly what I needed for information.
Matched pairs are absolutely pointless on the Little Dot MK II, III & IV since the tubes are not run in parallel.

If you think that the tubes are suspect and possibly shorted then by all means get them tested. Paying someone to match them for you will not give you any benefit in the sound and will just make the guy who tests them an easy $20 or more...

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #6,910 of 13,434
Matched pairs are absolutely pointless on the Little Dot MK II, III & IV since the tubes are not run in parallel.

If you think that the tubes are suspect and possibly shorted then by all means get them tested. Paying someone to match them for you will not give you any benefit in the sound and will just make the guy who tests them an easy $20 or more...

I thought the power tube's suppose to be matched so it doesn't damaged the amp.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #6,911 of 13,434
I do not know if i have missed something here. It just have been too busy and no much time to "roll tubes". So happy with two of my latest DIY amps. One with TEN 6SL7GT and 6N6P-IR-s and another one with Russian reflector made 6N9S '86, 6N8S's '65 and 6N13S's from '74. All other tubes have been in one cardboard box. There is enough tubes for the rest of my life, i think.

Hi-fi hobby have took me deeper. Vinyl player with tube amp's is just so good.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #6,912 of 13,434

Okay then. I have no idea of the quality, so for peace of mind, I'll get them tested.  The power tubes are supposedly matched, but how would I know? So, I'll get them tested too.  (plus I'm a geeky type and would like to watch the testing process).
Thanks for the  info, as I didn't know about 'parallel' in the circuit design.
Dylan

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #6,913 of 13,434
I thought the power tube's suppose to be matched so it doesn't damaged the amp.
On power amps with multiple output tubes run in parallel it is best but not on the Little Dots... :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #6,914 of 13,434
Okay then. I have no idea of the quality, so for peace of mind, I'll get them tested.  The power tubes are supposedly matched, but how would I know? So, I'll get them tested too.  (plus I'm a geeky type and would like to watch the testing process).
Thanks for the  info, as I didn't know about 'parallel' in the circuit design.
Dylan
Enjoy the process then, all is good!

I was just letting you and any other new users to this thread that matched tubes are a way for the tube seller to get more money out of you...

Those new to the little dots see matched pairs of 5654's for $80 a and think wow that great, these must be really good! Then they plug in a pair of $7 6HM5's from Yugoslavia and are totally blown away by the sound of the cheap tubes!

That is what this thread is all about, cheap tubes that sound amazing!
:beerchug:

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #6,915 of 13,434
Unless you have a $3500+ Eddie Current or Cavalli Audio... Then the $400 each 6DJ8's are as much a bragging right as the $400 Power Cable and RCA interconnects are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back