Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jun 7, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #6,436 of 13,432
The gold anodized plate with the tube guards comes off the MK IV from the top.
smily_headphones1.gif

Crack with Speedball, will be a sweet amplifier.

That easy to removed i guess and yes BH Crack is going to have the speedball.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #6,437 of 13,432
I got my Little Dot MK III about a week ago and yesterday a pair of Mullard M8100s arrived which I'd pre-ordered in anticipation. They came a bit faster than expected! Anyway, I had to try them out, just to see if they were working...

It's too early to say as the original tubes are still burning-in, the Mullards are still burning-in, and so are my headphones (arrived just after the Little Dot), but I would tentatively agree with Dept_of_Alchemy's first post regarding the Mullards. I'm very much enjoying the bass, but I'm going to try and find something with a bit more detail (though I expect the burn-in will take care of that, anyway). I've got a couple of Voskhod 6ZH1P-EVs on the way which I'm going to try next.

I'm keeping it simple ATM - just trying drop-in replacements so I haven't had to fiddle with any jumpers yet. Does anyone think it is worth me doing any power tube rolling (with recommendatons, if so) or should I just stick with the drivers for now? Actually, I should probably get at least one set of drivers burnt-in first...

It's going to be interesting re-trying the tubes once they are all burnt-in...
So, thank you all for the advice in this thread. I was very pleasantly surprised how easy the first tube rolling steps are. 
beerchug.gif

And an extra thank you to TrollDragon for pointing me at the DIY headphone stands thread. I should have said something earlier but I'd already derailed the thread enough by that point!

And finally, apologies in advance if I ever write valve - I'm English and I can just about remember valve driven computers...so I can't help it.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #6,438 of 13,432
  I got my Little Dot MK III about a week ago and yesterday a pair of Mullard M8100s arrived which I'd pre-ordered in anticipation. They came a bit faster than expected! Anyway, I had to try them out, just to see if they were working...

It's too early to say as the original tubes are still burning-in, the Mullards are still burning-in, and so are my headphones (arrived just after the Little Dot), but I would tentatively agree with Dept_of_Alchemy's first post regarding the Mullards. I'm very much enjoying the bass, but I'm going to try and find something with a bit more detail (though I expect the burn-in will take care of that, anyway). I've got a couple of Voskhod 6ZH1P-EVs on the way which I'm going to try next.

I'm keeping it simple ATM - just trying drop-in replacements so I haven't had to fiddle with any jumpers yet. Does anyone think it is worth me doing any power tube rolling (with recommendatons, if so) or should I just stick with the drivers for now? Actually, I should probably get at least one set of drivers burnt-in first...

It's going to be interesting re-trying the tubes once they are all burnt-in...
So, thank you all for the advice in this thread. I was very pleasantly surprised how easy the first tube rolling steps are. 
beerchug.gif

And an extra thank you to TrollDragon for pointing me at the DIY headphone stands thread. I should have said something earlier but I'd already derailed the thread enough by that point!

And finally, apologies in advance if I ever write valve - I'm English and I can just about remember valve driven computers...so I can't help it.

Hey there,

I took the exact same steps of gear acquisition as you :)

As my signature states, my source is the DX90.

The Mullards will indeed become better and better as they burn in further.
Personally I found the Voskhods to not be as fully "bodied" as the Mullards, and the detail can be just a tad too much for my personal taste at times (can become fatiguing IMO).
The Mullards have been sitting in my Driver slots the most since their arrival and I think that suggests something.

I rolled 6H30Pi-EHs for my power tube and I think there is not a dramatic difference in sound when compared to the stock tubes.. but I am using the 6h30pi for now and keeping the stock power tubes as backups.

Enjoy the journey of tube rolling.. before the upgraditis bug hits again.. which has already done so for me... haha!

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #6,439 of 13,432

Hey there,

I took the exact same steps of gear acquisition as you :)

As my signature states, my source is the DX90.

The Mullards will indeed become better and better as they burn in further.
Personally I found the Voskhods to not be as fully "bodied" as the Mullards, and the detail can be just a tad too much for my personal taste at times (can become fatiguing IMO).
The Mullards have been sitting in my Driver slots the most since their arrival and I think that suggests something.

I rolled 6H30Pi-EHs for my power tube and I think there is not a dramatic difference in sound when compared to the stock tubes.. but I am using the 6h30pi for now and keeping the stock power tubes as backups.

Enjoy the journey of tube rolling.. before the upgraditis bug hits again.. which has already done so for me... haha!

That's interesting. I already had a couple of 6H30Pi-EHs in my "basket" and was dithering a bit about whether to buy them "just in case". I'll probably go ahead and buy them now, as I don't really want to have to wait too many days if I need replacements at any time.
I'm using an Arcam irDAC into the Little Dot with either a Mac, or an X3 as source. I haven't used the X3 directly into the Little Dot (yet).
My headphones are either HD600s, or AKG K702s (I bought them in local stock clearances, unauditioned, at a too good to be missed price, and ending up liking both, despite/because of their differences), so I expect I'll be swapping tubes to match my 'phones - or vice versa...
I've only tried the HD600s with the Mullards, so far. I think the AKGs might well be a better match. So many things to try, so little time....

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #6,440 of 13,432
You are most welcome!

Have no worries I derail this thread all the time, it always finds its way back to the straight and narrow. If you build a stand please post a picture or two here as I don't subscribe to the Stand thread anymore. Too many stick a pair of headphones on anything around the house and call it a stand. Those are the furthest thing from DIY and is disrespectful to the people who actually build a stand... But that is my pet peeve... :wink:

Welcome to the Club (Little Dot & Tube Rolling) you should pick up a pair of Yugoslavian 6HM5's from eBay as well to have in your stable, they are one of the best tubes for plug and play the members here have found.

Call them Valves, Tubes or FireBottles it all good!

Edit: The Line Out of the X3 works perfectly as a source for the LD! :wink:
:beerchug:

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #6,441 of 13,432
I have been noticing a tremendous improvement in the sound of my little dot IV se without tube rolling, but if I start listening to it after high have it on with the volume control in the 10 o'clock position after four hours. I am wondering if anyone here has ever observed this or would be willing to test this assertion cause I could assure you it is true. Both male and female voices become more realistic and so does the sound of the orchestra.

I am wondering how one would test if it is OK to use your little dot IV se amplifier beyond the stated eight hour limit before cooldown. What do you think?

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #6,442 of 13,432
I am wondering how one would test if it is OK to use your little dot IV se amplifier beyond the stated eight hour limit before cooldown. What do you think?
The biggest contributor to shortening the life of electronic components is heat. When you run the amplifier and place a hand on the case, the heat you feel is not generated by the tubes, the heat comes from current flowing through the resistors on the board, these are Chinese resistors, so finding an operational parameter sheet on them would be next to impossible.

I personally would not run the amplifier past its recommend time but the choice is yours.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #6,443 of 13,432
You are most welcome!

Have no worries I derail this thread all the time, it always finds its way back to the straight and narrow. If you build a stand please post a picture or two here as I don't subscribe to the Stand thread anymore. Too many stick a pair of headphones on anything around the house and call it a stand. Those are the furthest thing from DIY and is disrespectful to the people who actually build a stand... But that is my pet peeve...
wink.gif

Welcome to the Club (Little Dot & Tube Rolling) you should pick up a pair of Yugoslavian 6HM5's from eBay as well to have in your stable, they are one of the best tubes for plug and play the members here have found.

Call them Valves, Tubes or FireBottles it all good!

Edit: The Line Out of the X3 works perfectly as a source for the LD!
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Unfortunately my skills are more mental than physical. I have the manual dexterity of an elephant wearing mittens - hence my tube rolling being limited to the jumper-free variety...so far. I have been somewhat inspired, and will give it a go, though - and if the result is passable, I'll post pictures. I have a couple of ideas....

I managed to locate some Yugoslavian 6HM5's so I'll soon have even more unburnt-in tubes. Thanks for the tip. 
beerchug.gif

The listening session with the AKGs and the Mullards did not go well. What I love about the AKGs is the detail they pick up but, right now, some of that detail is in the rough region which I think burn-in will smooth out. The same thing happened for the first couple of days with the stock tubes. I don't normally do this, but I think it may be time to dig out "pink-noise.wav"...

I'll give the line-out of the X3 a go sometime but it'll have to be something special to beat taking the X3 coax into the irDAC. (NB, I have used the line-out of the X3 elsewhere and I really wouldn't be surprised if it gives the irDAC a bit of stiff competition, but I have to at least pretend the irDAC was money well-spent - or isn't that the head-fi way?
wink.gif
).

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #6,445 of 13,432
  How did you removed yours?The BH Crack would be my next amp.

Hi ilm2.

As TD said, the tube rings and plate just screw off...nice and easy...

And have just had a horrible reply from vacuumtubes.net...they're out of stock of the Chatham 6AS7Gs! -  All the more galling as I only got 2 the first time...and that after advising (like TD) to always make sure to have more in reserve!..PHYSICIAN HEAL THYSELF, no?! So now I'm gonna have to do a mordy and keep on searching, searching, and more searching...so much to do, and so little time...

But search I must, as these Chathams are delivering more with every new piece of music I try...I am wondering what on earth the BH Crack (or similar) could bring to the table, especially as they - the Chathams - are making the C3GSs sing like no canary you have ever known, lol!
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #6,446 of 13,432

Hi ilm2.

As TD said, the tube rings and plate just screw off...nice and easy...

And have just had a horrible reply from vacuumtubes.net...they're out of stock of the Chatham 6AS7Gs! -  All the more galling as I only got 2 the first time...and that after advising (like TD) to always make sure to have more in reserve!..PHYSICIAN HEAL THYSELF, no?! So now I'm gonna have to do a mordy and keep on searching, searching, and more searching...so much to do, and so little time...

But search I must, as these Chathams are delivering more with every new piece of music I try...I am wondering what on earth the BH Crack (or similar) could bring to the table, especially as they - the Chathams - are making the C3GSs sing like no canary you have ever known, lol!
ksc75smile.gif

I manage to get a pair last month from vacuumtubes.net also ,and got a Chatham 6AS7G this morning from my tube guy at the flea market but even better than that i got a pair of Chatham's 2399 when i got the Woo and if you know the price these go for ,im very happy about that because i wouldnt pay that kind of money for those tubes to start with .So i should be  good for awhile but they always pop up somewhere And of course everybody knows   so there you go                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #6,447 of 13,432
Hi bbmiller,

I have found that using the Little Dot MKIII at as a high a volume as I can before clipping produces the best sound. In my case this translates to three o'clock on the volume dial, but I play through a ss amp. With my headphones on I can't turn up the volume more than 9-10 o'clock or I'll damage my hearing.

As is well known, heat is the biggest enemy of electronics, and this is probably the reason the manual advises against more than eight hours on at a time. Different tubes heat up the amp differently, some leave the amp cool, others warm and some burning hot. For hot running tubes I am using a discarded computer fan to direct away the hot air from the amp, with good results.

There have been times when I have left the amp on for several days burning in tubes without any untoward effects. Just check here and there with your hand if the amp is running cool. As far as I recall, other people did the same and nobody reported problems.

I once asked David Zhe Zhe what the anticipated life span is of the amp. He replied: The same as regular consumer electronics - around 20 years.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #6,448 of 13,432
Hi guys. Seen as the 7 pin extenders/socket savers were lost in transit I decided to remove the brass rings. After much deliberation I got them off and now the 6sn7's and c3g's fit and no extenders are needed. Now I'm just wondering how people have removed the metal casings on the c3g's? Thought I would ask in advance just in case I break the tubes removing them.

Thanks

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6,450 of 13,432
  Hi guys. Seen as the 7 pin extenders/socket savers were lost in transit I decided to remove the brass rings. After much deliberation I got them off and now the 6sn7's and c3g's fit and no extenders are needed. Now I'm just wondering how people have removed the metal casings on the c3g's? Thought I would ask in advance just in case I break the tubes removing them.

Thanks

Hi sgb.

I did in fact post a photo tutorial - #5683 - which should hopefully help you. You can either leave the base loose, or glue it back on - you'll need a thick glue, and be careful it doesn't run down into the pins. Either way, you will need to make ABSOLUTELY sure the 'church windows' match up to maintain proper pin placement...I found the base could almost fit convincingly onto the pins in any order!

Hope all goes well...it'll look SO much better, lol!

Any questions/problems just let us know...will be back on tomorrow...

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back