Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6,331 of 13,432
Hi gravit!

After my long abstinence here, i have to say that i found my endgame tubes.
Many have now found that the Siemens c3gs as driver tube outrule most other tubes in areas like tansparacy and neutrality.
I also listen to much rock and i have to say, neutrality is not bad for rock at all! It might sound less "interesting" at first, but after a while you notice all the little details you didn't hear before.
Also the position of the instruments is much better defined.
So my advice is clear,try to get some c3gs!

As for power tubes, i tried the 6sn7 tubes, which seem to provide extra power and dynamics the amp was missing till then. In combination with the c3g, this is my endgame combo.
But i might try some 6f8g in the future... Who knows?

Btw, cheers guys, wasn't online a long time (yeah my profile says other, but everytime i open my smartphone browser, it logs into headfi, even if i don't surf there, so...)
Cool to see many others to try the c3g!
Did you try the 6f8g's eventually?
What where the results?
Haha i missed so much information! XD

Hi CR13.

Good to see you back again...HOWEVER...do you have the MKIV?...can't remember - one of the joys(?!) of getting old... Please don't give up on 'end-game' just yet...perhaps you've caught my (endless!) rantings re the 6AS7G as power tubes - endless because they really do take the IV especially to another level. And as I believe you have managed to make your own adapters in the past, the mod needed to provide these tubes with 2.5A each is a piece of cake...and it can be done using the 6SN7 adapter, lol! The pairing with the C3GS is just out of this world...it is almost criminal (!!) not to treat the MKIV in this way - not to mention yourself...so, perhaps a project to bear in mind? I guarantee you would not regret it...I'm still on cloud nine with every piece of music I throw at the combo...

Rant over (once again!)...

Happy rolling.

May 29, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #6,332 of 13,432
Hi CR13.

Good to see you back again...HOWEVER...do you have the MKIV?...can't remember - one of the joys(?!) of getting old... Please don't give up on 'end-game' just yet...perhaps you've caught my (endless!) rantings re the 6AS7G as power tubes - endless because they really do take the IV especially to another level. And as I believe you have managed to make your own adapters in the past, the mod needed to provide these tubes with 2.5A each is a piece of cake...and it can be done using the 6SN7 adapter, lol! The pairing with the C3GS is just out of this world...it is almost criminal (!!) not to treat the MKIV in this way - not to mention yourself...so, perhaps a project to bear in mind? I guarantee you would not regret it...I'm still on cloud nine with every piece of music I throw at the combo...

Rant over (once again!)...

Happy rolling.

Hi hypnos!
No, i have the mkiii.
I might try some 6as7g in the future, but for now, i seriously don't feel the need to upgrade any part of my system.
It sounds just perfect to me, i can get lost in the music for hours lol!
Btw, did i post some pictures of my adapter?
Don't remember, all before my exams haha lol...

May 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #6,333 of 13,432
Hi hypnos!
No, i have the mkiii.
I might try some 6as7g in the future, but for now, i seriously don't feel the need to upgrade any part of my system.
It sounds just perfect to me, i can get lost in the music for hours lol!
Btw, did i post some pictures of my adapter?
Don't remember, all before my exams haha lol...

Hi again CR13.

Am really glad you are so happy with your sound - that's all that counts in the end...as gibosi and mordy would espouse!

Things are still in the air re use of 6AS7G (6080) in the MKIII - ilm2 didn't seem to get the same magic as myself, but we await with eagerness (well I do anyway, lol!) mordy's findings when he finally gets all his bits 'n pieces...

Can't remember if I saw your photos either...and BTW I hope all went well with your exams
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #6,334 of 13,432
Slightly off topic - but not really, as we're all trying to wring the last ounce out of our LDs, no?...  I have had confirmation of something I commented on some good while back, and which was endorsed by Audiofanboy - one of our star contributors, before he got 'lost' somewhere in Japan! - regarding mains conditioners. Basically, until I received my new power supply and higher-rated voltage regulator for the 6AS7Gs (the bench DC power supply didn't materialise in the end), the originals were plugged directly into the mains...with no untoward mains nasties.
But the new power supply (a 12V 6A laptop-like unit, marketed as an led string light supply) I plugged into my 6-outlet mains conditioner, and either my hearing has suddenly taken a turn for the better (highly unlikely!) or the already amazing sound went up yet another notch - to a degree I really wasn't expecting, even though I am a big fan of a decent conditioner, not just for audio but video also...
There was a noticeable enhancement of 'smoothness' to the overall sound -  without any loss of 'sparkle' - and a greater crispness to notes, from initial attack thru decay, plus even clearer detail separation/positioning...and everything through an even 'blacker' background than before.
And so now I'm an even bigger fan of 'cleaning' the mains supply, lol!

addendum...When you see the size of those heaters in these tubes, perhaps it's no surprise that a 'clean' supply is going to reap benefits!
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #6,335 of 13,432
Hmmm... starting to sound a little too much like the Sound Science "Fiction" threads...

If you tell us the the fuse in the LD or the Power Cord needs to be changed to "Audiograde" next, then I'm outta here... :rolleyes:

May 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6,336 of 13,432
Hmmm... starting to sound a little too much like the Sound Science "Fiction" threads...

If you tell us the the fuse in the LD or the Power Cord needs to be changed to "Audiograde" next, then I'm outta here... :rolleyes:

I tried fuses myself, they make subtile difference, but increase transparancy a bit. But i got them for free, i would never pay so much for such a subtile change, maybe it was only autosuggestion?
So i am definitely not a "fuse-believer" lol

And re power cables, the only power cable that made a difference was changing my main amplifiers power cable to thick solid core cable which improved dynamics quite a bit. Tried other cables for my cd transport and the little dot, but they didn't differ so much from stock, that it justifies the price tag. Maybe i diy some in the future, but for now..... No!

May 31, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #6,337 of 13,432
 Regarding power supply i tried a few my self(recycled not willing to pay for them)and what i found out is some of them(AC to DC adapters not include desktop PS)it have a very slight hum and it is hard to hear/notice unless you put the adapter against your ear and at that time i was blaming my tubes for a slight hum only to find out it was the adapter causing the hum not the tubes until i found a nice quiet Desktop PS that i don't even know i have it installed in my old PC long time ago and these one is very quiet i was surprised how quiet the fan is.Those tubes that was slightly humming i reused them with these new desktop PS i found and  they are quiet  these is the deference i found about PS.Regarding sound i did not hear any deference.So if your tube is humming check your PS for any slight noise it may help,maybe in these case those Power conditioner will help.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #6,338 of 13,432
Hey guys will ld mk ii work well with hd650 + dt880 ?
I just want to get the feel of a warm tube amp.
How much of a difference is there between mk ii vs mk iii ?

Also I have the following tubes :-
6hm5 + 6n6p.
Will they work with ld mk ii ?

Let me know.
Thanks.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #6,339 of 13,432
mk iii works well with the 650's (though isnt the warmest sound ever with stock tubes)

On a side note ive just used my 6sn7 tubes for the first time and am getting a lot of distortion when playing my headphones at high volumes. is anyone else getting this problem? and what would you expect the solution to the problem to be? thanks

edit: normal listening levels distortion is not as much a problem except the base is flappy still though mids and highs aren't distorted unlike at the high volumes

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #6,340 of 13,432

If you tell us the the fuse in the LD or the Power Cord needs to be changed to "Audiograde" next, then I'm outta here...
rolleyes.gif

Hmmm...when my other half even notices improvements in sound and vision from the TV, let alone proper audio equipment (and she, bless her, doesn't even know what 'frequency response' means), then I think there must be some element of truth in it, lol!...probably depending on what is happening within one's own particular mains supply?

Anyway, TD, all I can say is there was a definite improvement in sound when the plug went into the conditioner...perhaps I have more than average gremlins living in my mains! (Now I think about it, I could always install a dedicated mains supply to the hi-fi system, complete with ground out to a spike in the garden...even a 'balanced' mains unit ($$$$?)...
wink_face.gif
...then again...!!

ps...Funny you should mention hi-grade fuses
deadhorse.gif

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #6,341 of 13,432
  Hey guys will ld mk ii work well with hd650 + dt880 ?
I just want to get the feel of a warm tube amp.
How much of a difference is there between mk ii vs mk iii ?

Also I have the following tubes :-
6hm5 + 6n6p.
Will they work with ld mk ii ?

Both the mk ii and mk iii are tube OTL amps and either can easily drive both of these headphones.

As far as the differences between the two amps, I believe the quality of components in the mk iii is superior, but I suspect that any sonic differences are likely very small. That is, I am unaware of anyone reporting that the iii sounds better. As I have no experience with either of these amps, perhaps others who do will chime in.

And yes, the current versions of these amps use the same tubes.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #6,342 of 13,432
Little quiet on the blog - probably everybody has found their end game tubes and are basking in sonic bliss...LOL

Anyhow, here is an update on the mighty subminiature 6832 tube. It continues to amaze as a driver tube. I did a lot of listening using my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 head phones and after an extended burn in it turned out to be an excellent match.

After switching to listening through speakers there was a certain brightness that bothered me. I could turn down the treble but then I lost some of the detail in the treble. Decided to switch out the RCA 6SN7GTB power tubes for a near pair of Sylvania 6SL7WGT. The 6SL7 tubes impart a certain fleetness and quickness that is very pleasing, but the ultimate heft and slam was missing. The brightness was less pronounced, though.

What's next to try? All my octals have served duty as driver tubes, and I take notes on little pieces of paper that I stick on the tubes with rubber bands. IMHO a good sounding driver tube makes a good sounding power tube, and it is easier to hear the differences when using the tubes as drivers.

Seems to me that you can mix tubes that sound similar without having to worry about a strange sound field. I picked two tubes that only match in size - both are quite tall: A Channel Master 6SN7GTB from a Famous Japanese Maker (ToTenHiMa) and a Newark, NJ, US made Tung Sol tube of the same designation. Not even a near pair, but a collaboration of the best talents of two continents, or whatever...

The brightness is tamed, and the bass has the appropriate heft. Sounds great! Sweet....

Happy tube rolling!

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #6,343 of 13,432
My first American made 6AS7G  and My end game for me are these...
IMO these tubes are far better than my 6H13C and the 6080 tubes have more bass than these Coke Bottle tubes.The vendor sent me a RCA instead of RAYTHEON.
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #6,344 of 13,432
  Little quiet on the blog - probably everybody has found their end game tubes and are basking in sonic bliss...LOL

Anyhow, here is an update on the mighty subminiature 6832 tube. It continues to amaze as a driver tube. I did a lot of listening using my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 head phones and after an extended burn in it turned out to be an excellent match.

After switching to listening through speakers there was a certain brightness that bothered me. I could turn down the treble but then I lost some of the detail in the treble. Decided to switch out the RCA 6SN7GTB power tubes for a near pair of Sylvania 6SL7WGT. The 6SL7 tubes impart a certain fleetness and quickness that is very pleasing, but the ultimate heft and slam was missing. The brightness was less pronounced, though.

What's next to try? All my octals have served duty as driver tubes, and I take notes on little pieces of paper that I stick on the tubes with rubber bands. IMHO a good sounding driver tube makes a good sounding power tube, and it is easier to hear the differences when using the tubes as drivers.

Seems to me that you can mix tubes that sound similar without having to worry about a strange sound field. I picked two tubes that only match in size - both are quite tall: A Channel Master 6SN7GTB from a Famous Japanese Maker (ToTenHiMa) and a Newark, NJ, US made Tung Sol tube of the same designation. Not even a near pair, but a collaboration of the best talents of two continents, or whatever...

The brightness is tamed, and the bass has the appropriate heft. Sounds great! Sweet....

Happy tube rolling!

IMO the 6832 is bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back