head-fi 6SN7 reference thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread
head-fi 6SN7 identification thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/209782/the-6sn7-identification-guide

Alright, I'll get reading. Thanks!

Originally Posted by CITIZENLIN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Gravit8
I recently purchased 6n6p-IR from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N6P-IR-ECC99-E182CC-Matched-Pair-High-DurableDoubleTriode-Gold-Grid-NOS-OTK-/171310973012?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27e2ee0054

Thanks for the link! I must have missed this somehow.
---
Sorry for noobing up this thread, thanks for all the info and direction everyone! It's easy to get lost in here haha :p

May 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6,317 of 13,432
  Do you have suggestion on c3g, c3gs ? source and reasonable prices?? buy a set or buy 4 to save few bucks?

Again $70 for a pair seems to be the going price these days. So if you can find them for less, that might be a good deal.

As best I can tell, all C3g's were made by Siemens, so it doesn't matter which brand you get, Siemens, Telefunken, Valvo or Lorenz. Further, these tubes are rated for 10,000 hours, so a pair will probably last longer than your amp. If you can afford 4, you would be set for life. :)

May 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #6,318 of 13,432
Hi Gravit 8,

IMHO tubes that sound good or great, sound good with any kind of music; it doesn't matter classical or rock, so go for the best sounding ones.

If the objective is to get the biggest bang for the buck, go with the subminiature Raytheon 6832 and a pair of Sylvania or RCA 6SN7 tubes. These tubes you should be able to get for around $20 total. Then you need adapters and possibly extenders. I am waiting for someone to compare the 6832 to the C3g - wouldn't be surprised if they come close.

Read the later posts on the blog and you will find all the info that you will need. Good Luck!

May 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #6,319 of 13,432

Again $70 for a pair seems to be the going price these days. So if you can find them for less, that might be a good deal.

As best I can tell, all C3g's were made by Siemens, so it doesn't matter which brand you get, Siemens, Telefunken, Valvo or Lorenz. Further, these tubes are rated for 10,000 hours, so a pair will probably last longer than your amp. If you can afford 4, you would be set for life. :)

Thanks gibosi. Do you think I can use C3g on my Fisher  500c? I think Fisher use 12AX7 for preamp. You got me all excited about Fisher 500c again which been collecting dust for few years.

May 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #6,320 of 13,432
  Hi Gravit 8,

IMHO tubes that sound good or great, sound good with any kind of music; it doesn't matter classical or rock, so go for the best sounding ones.

If the objective is to get the biggest bang for the buck, go with the subminiature Raytheon 6832 and a pair of Sylvania or RCA 6SN7 tubes. These tubes you should be able to get for around $20 total. Then you need adapters and possibly extenders. I am waiting for someone to compare the 6832 to the C3g - wouldn't be surprised if they come close.

Read the later posts on the blog and you will find all the info that you will need. Good Luck!

OH .. NO  6832???? more reading for " the biggest gang for the buck" hahahaha I am on it.

May 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #6,321 of 13,432
  Thanks gibosi. Do you think I can use C3g on my Fisher  500c? I think Fisher use 12AX7 for preamp. You got me all excited about Fisher 500c again which been collecting dust for few years. 

The 12AX7 has a gain of about 100, while the C3g has a gain of about 40, so I doubt it would work without serious modification...

May 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #6,322 of 13,432
I only have 3 hours using these 6080(driver) and they are getting better each passing time.the soundstage opens up  the treble it gets smoother and that bass is deep.My DT880 is loving that deep bass and the smooth treble.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #6,323 of 13,432
  Hi Gravit 8,

Good to know on the tube sound, wasn't sure if different tubes worked with different genres better, but this clears it up.
So it seems like as far as stock tube sizes go, everyone seems to really like the 6HM5 correct?  Then after that for end game sort of stuff Raytheon 6832 on the cheap, and C3g for best overall? Thanks!

May 28, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #6,324 of 13,432
  Good to know on the tube sound, wasn't sure if different tubes worked with different genres better, but this clears it up.
So it seems like as far as stock tube sizes go, everyone seems to really like the 6HM5 correct?  Then after that for end game sort of stuff Raytheon 6832 on the cheap, and C3g for best overall? Thanks!

IMHO, C3g's are not alone at the top as the best overall. If someone does not want to mess with double triodes, which typically require an external socket, 7-pin Vector socket-savers and an external power supply, then in my opinion, a pair of C3G's is clearly "end-game". But in order to use the Raytheon 6832, which is after all, a double triode, an external socket and Vectors are required. And if you have gone that far, you may as well set up an external power supply. Once everything is properly setup, there are a number of 6SN7's, E80CC's, E88CC's, and some of the other sub-miniatures, such as the Sylvania 7963, which rival the C3g's.

So, if someone wants a simple and relatively clean and neat "end-game" rig, C3g's are the only game in town. If someone is willing to deal with the messiness of external sockets, power supplies and such, the universe of "end-game" tubes is much larger.

May 29, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #6,325 of 13,432

IMHO, C3g's are not alone at the top as the best overall. If someone does not want to mess with double triodes, which typically require an external socket, 7-pin Vector socket-savers and an external power supply, then in my opinion, a pair of C3G's is clearly "end-game". But in order to use the Raytheon 6832, which is after all, a double triode, an external socket and Vectors are required. And if you have gone that far, you may as well set up an external power supply. Once everything is properly setup, there are a number of 6SN7's, E80CC's, E88CC's, and some of the other sub-miniatures, such as the Sylvania 7963, which rival the C3g's.

So, if someone wants a simple and relatively clean and neat "end-game" rig, C3g's are the only game in town. If someone is willing to deal with the messiness of external sockets, power supplies and such, the universe of "end-game" tubes is much larger.

Thank you very much for your explanation. How do I go about setting up the external power supply.  Is there a step by step explanation on that on this thread?

May 29, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #6,326 of 13,432

Thank you very much for your explanation. How do I go about setting up the external power supply.  Is there a step by step explanation on that on this thread?

These postings will get you started. And if you have any questions, just let us know.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10435226

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10432434

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/4410#post_10076232

May 29, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #6,327 of 13,432

These postings will get you started. And if you have any questions, just let us know.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10435226

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/5760#post_10432434

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/4410#post_10076232

Thank you. More reading. I feel like I am back in school. Thanks again ... I am off to study (reading).

May 29, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #6,328 of 13,432

6HM5 is very good for the money you pay for them. The Voshkods are also good but then it depends on your set up and the music you listen to. For me, i love my metal tunes and bass so any tube which gives me good bass, i will love them. Thus far, I've had several pairs of generic 6AK5 tubes and RTCs which all sound relatively good. The Voshkods and 6HM5s have very good bass but if you want to move a notch up, the 6SN7 as power tubes will help a lot. After listening with 6SN7s, i cannot return to the stock power tubes as I feel everything seems to have tuned down a notch in terms of dynamics, clarity, bass, etc. And it's a plug and play affair without the need for an external power supply (just need a pair of adaptors). 6SN7s can be had relatively cheap all over eBay so there you go - have fun !

May 29, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #6,329 of 13,432

6HM5 is very good for the money you pay for them. The Voshkods are also good but then it depends on your set up and the music you listen to. For me, i love my metal tunes and bass so any tube which gives me good bass, i will love them. Thus far, I've had several pairs of generic 6AK5 tubes and RTCs which all sound relatively good. The Voshkods and 6HM5s have very good bass but if you want to move a notch up, the 6SN7 as power tubes will help a lot. After listening with 6SN7s, i cannot return to the stock power tubes as I feel everything seems to have tuned down a notch in terms of dynamics, clarity, bass, etc. And it's a plug and play affair without the need for an external power supply (just need a pair of adaptors). 6SN7s can be had relatively cheap all over eBay so there you go - have fun !

Hi gibosi and Rossliew.

Nicely summed up for the majority of LD lovers...
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back