Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #4,909 of 13,438
Anyone have lengthy experience with GE JAN Blackplates for the LD1+?

Got a pair yesterday that I love for the soundstage and warmth but the bass is a bit muddy. Will this improve with burn in?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4,910 of 13,438
Hi,

If you need a pair of top quality small speakers for a real bargain price of $72 shipped, look at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117406&clickid=xu7W8i02X1eRXDXyMJwbPUm5UkTyAqX5z1jCQM0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=10577&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

I have these speakers, and they are very good - get 5 star reviews on Amazon and Newegg; well rated by Stereophile.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #4,913 of 13,438

It is 8am and my Amperex OG 6DJ8 with my beyerdynamic dt 1350’s have me rocking and causing my co workers to pause and smile.
WOW the 6DJ8 family is something else!

This morning’s muse turn it up and hang on:
Xavier Rudd Footprints

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,914 of 13,438
Yesterday I received a 1945 small-bottle Sylvania 6SN7W.

It has the same 2-hole plates and support rod as the metal-base, tall bottle 6SN7W. There is a small crack in the base, but it appears not to be a problem as the bottle is not loose.

I have not had a chance to compare it to the metal tall bottle or chrome dome, but I did have a chance to listen to it for about an hour last night, and feel it has strong detailed bass, smooth mid range and clean extended highs similar to the other two Sylvanias. Comparing these three tubes is on my very, very long to-do list, but for now, I am simply enjoying this tube. :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #4,915 of 13,438
I received my 1955 Sylvania 6SL7WGT tube today and notice some hum on this tube as well. It is most prominent around 12 o'clock on the volume pot for some strange reason.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #4,916 of 13,438
  I received my 1955 Sylvania 6SL7WGT tube today and notice some hum on this tube as well. It is most prominent around 12 o'clock on the volume pot for some strange reason.

I think i mentionned this before i to for some reason have a couple of the 6SL7 tubes that  have a slight hum and others nothing have you tried moving your amp around .The hum on mine is constant volume doesnt change anything but  at 9 oclock i dont ear it anymore when i pla y music its not loud. i made an adapter with a shielded usb cable grounded to adapter chassis and that didnt help hum is still the same with that tube so maybe its about the tubes who knows .

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,917 of 13,438
  I think i mentionned this before i to for some reason have a couple of the 6SL7 tubes that  have a slight hum and others nothing have you tried moving your amp around .The hum on mine is constant volume doesnt change anything but  at 9 oclock i dont ear it anymore when i pla y music its not loud. i made an adapter with a shielded usb cable grounded to adapter chassis and that didnt help hum is still the same with that tube so maybe its about the tubes who knows .

well so far two out of two have the buzz, its barely noticeable with music playing but on quiet parts its noticeable. What tubes do you have that have no buzz?

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #4,918 of 13,438

well so far two out of two have the buzz, its barely noticeable with music playing but on quiet parts its noticeable. What tubes do you have that have no buzz?

6H9C Russian tubes and Sylvanias and Tung Sol 6SL7 the one i have that hums is my best one the Tung-Sol 6SU7GT and a black glass i have to identical one hums and the other doesnt atleast i dont ear it when music plays because they sound very good

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #4,919 of 13,438
The Sylvania 6SL7WGT I have from 1955 hums less and does sound amazing, the sound stage and instrument separation are amazing compared to the 6AV6 and 6HM5 tubes i've been using. The new production TS 6SL7GT from '05 I have hums a bit more and sounds OK, but nothing mind blowing.

Its really troubling me what is causing the humming, as you tried grounding isn't the issue.

I don't know what im looking at but does the little dot reach these specs sufficiently or may over by too much?

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,920 of 13,438
  The Sylvania 6SL7WGT I have from 1955 hums less and does sound amazing, the sound stage and instrument separation are amazing compared to the 6AV6 and 6HM5 tubes i've been using. The new production TS 6SL7GT from '05 I have hums a bit more and sounds OK, but nothing mind blowing.

Its really troubling me what is causing the humming, as you tried grounding isn't the issue.

I don't know what im looking at but does the little dot reach these specs sufficiently or may over by too much?

As far as i know its safe to use those or else i wouldnt risk it. Heater current is .300 amp thats well within the max. 500 amp The thing is maybe and im speculating here those tubes arent really made for what we are using them for . also another thing i noticed usually when i touch the adapter i ear a radio station lol but when music is playing no problem . Maybe somebody could explain these things we notice with these tubes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back