Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #4,771 of 13,432
  Hi Gary,

Have you heard the Tesla's Yet?
I have been using Mullard 8100's and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV and I find the 1953 Tesla's I now have burned in have a smoother top end. A more subterranean bottom with faster transients, better (but not wider! Maybe more height information) and a more liquid sound. I am using 6H30-PI as power tubes.
My background is Many years of high end Audio, but not so much headphones. Just getting into it heavy now I am in a Condo.
Hope this helps. 

Steve.

Steve,
If it is me you are asking then yes I have heard the Tesla’s see pg 60 of this thread. There appear to be a couple of versions of the Tesla 6f32’s tubes the ones I have are factory matched with stab written on the side, tesla 6F32 is in grey paint, and they also have white paint on the top of the tube making it look like the tube is wearing a elf hat. There are other tesla 6f32 tubes with yellow writing and no paint that I understand sound quite different (not that great) which ones did you have? My memory of them is that I felt that they where a better smoother version of the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV and they were A++ tubes, which is saying allot as the Voshkod once they are burned in are held in very high regard.
What type of headphones are you using?
Gary

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #4,772 of 13,432
These are my TESLA 6F32V  ,and if you want to see what year yours are  heres a link  .                                                                                                                                                                                                          http://tubes-store.com/article_info.php?articles_id=5&osCsid=jtsu6codduvs3fua4v1ddilj10                                                                               

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #4,773 of 13,432
  Why don't you look over my post about building a solderless adapter? It really isn't that hard, and the benefits are immense.

will do! I have a lot of reading to do, its been a few months
dt880smile.png

page number?

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #4,774 of 13,432
  will do! I have a lot of reading to do, its been a few months
dt880smile.png

page number?

As Mordy mentioned, you can do this without any soldering whatsoever. All you need is a 9-pin breadboard socket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-pin-breadboard-prototype-tube-socket-for-DIY-experimenting-/151176364267?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2332d040eb

Two 7-pin Vector test sockets:

http://www.radiodaze.com/product/15450.aspx

And if you wish to roll tubes which require more than 500ma of heater current and/or 12 volt tubes, a 24 volt AC adapter and a step down voltage regulator:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-5-5mm-2-5mm-24V-1A-AC-DC-Adapter-Black-With-Latest-Technology-/350983324845?pt=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item51b83c84ad

(You might already have a suitable AC adapter. I am using one from an old cordless drill/driver)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-Digit-Display-4-40V-DC-DC-Converter-Module-Step-Down-Regulator-Voltmeter-/360685295663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fa84d82f

Crude and ugly, but it works. Moreover, since no soldering is required, you can easily reconfigure it if necessary.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #4,775 of 13,432
Recently received a Raytheon VT-231/6SN7GT manufactured in the 1940s. It has black ladder plates and two free-standing support posts. From what I have read, this version is superior to the earlier version with T-plates and no support posts. I haven't had a chance to really listen to this tube and am curious to how it compares with the US-made Ratheon 6CG6, that a number of us have, which apparently has the same ladder plates squeezed into a 9-pin miniature bottle.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,776 of 13,432
Hi Gary,

Yes, I have the "Yellow" Tesla tubes and was not impressed.
However I got a pair of the white Lettered/Tipped ones and those are the ones that blow away all others I have listened to!
I have taken photos of both side by side to show the guys but I can not post them?
Nor can I update my profile? Really???
I have been an avid Audiophile since the eighties and I am not allowed to share  on here.
I also took some photos of the original boxes if anyone is interested. I bought8 more of the white tipped ones for the future and to trade.
I have ordered the Yugo 6HM5's you told me about and some Phillips 6AK5 "Low Noise" microphone tubes. Will have them hopefully before the end of January.
I had Russian 6H6N power tubes and right now I am using Sovtek 6H30-EB, I found them to be better overall. Would love to get some feedback/advice.

A little bit about myself, I have been selling Mercedes-Benz, Porsche etc. for over 25 years.
Hobbies...Sailing, Photography, Cars, (raced a Caterham 7 in the 80's)
I enjoy ANY Music that is recorded/mixed well.
My tendencies are to Progressive Rock, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Marillion, Supertamp etc.
My house/Basement is now gone and I am into a Condo. New Lady, New Life.
Just to let you know where my head is sound wise. Here is what I have trained my ears on.
I have had a Mark Levinson Amp and Preamp, A fully optioned Linn LP-12/Lingo and loads of Very Good Cables/Interconnects,Speakers etc. for the last 20 years. 
I've been using modified Proac Response 2's and Sand/Lead filled Target stands with 2 Vandersteen Subs. So you know I love Imaging, Depth and Quick Transients.
My ears have been Very Spoiled...Having friends/Clients that work in the industry has it's rewards.
I am now down to one sub and the Proacs. Have had two noise warnings from the Condo Board Gestapo, So Head-fi it is.  :)
I have had many Headphones since the Seventies and never really spent much time with them until I got the warnings and then a Little Dot III (ver. IV).
I have settled on an older pair of HD-650's. Heard newer ones and they sounded different...have no idea why?
I put a Zu Audio, Mobius II cable on the phones and a custom made 3 foot power cable on the amp and I would put this present combo I have assembled up against anything.
Subjectively it is Amazing!! Differences in tubes are readily discernible.
It is real nice to have met a bunch of guys to talk to who have a collective knowledge that I can tap into.
We can all save each other time and money by collaborating.
I hope I can contribute to the group. And have some fun along the way. If anyone would like to PM me with a blurb about themselves...Mail away.
I have already spoken to "Mikelap" on the phone..this site is going to be Fun!
Maybe one day the moderator will take off the handcuffs and let me do some meaningful stuff on here.

Steve..

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #4,780 of 13,432
They are similar...the ones I have are from 1956 (date code LG) 

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4,781 of 13,432
  They are similar...the ones I have are from 1956 (date code LG) 

And mine: TG = Oct 1957. So very close.

Chiman:  If you look at the plates, the mica and the getter splash, the tubes you are looking at on eBay are the same vintage, and odds are they will sound the same.  It is often best to ignore the silk screening and paint, as it was applied after the tube was built, and often as not, customized for the end user.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #4,782 of 13,432
  Hi Gary,

Yes, I have the "Yellow" Tesla tubes and was not impressed.
However I got a pair of the white Lettered/Tipped ones and those are the ones that blow away all others I have listened to!
I have taken photos of both side by side to show the guys but I can not post them?
Nor can I update my profile? Really???
I have been an avid Audiophile since the eighties and I am not allowed to share  on here.
I also took some photos of the original boxes if anyone is interested. I bought8 more of the white tipped ones for the future and to trade.
I have ordered the Yugo 6HM5's you told me about and some Phillips 6AK5 "Low Noise" microphone tubes. Will have them hopefully before the end of January.
I had Russian 6H6N power tubes and right now I am using Sovtek 6H30-EB, I found them to be better overall. Would love to get some feedback/advice.

A little bit about myself, I have been selling Mercedes-Benz, Porsche etc. for over 25 years.
Hobbies...Sailing, Photography, Cars, (raced a Caterham 7 in the 80's)
I enjoy ANY Music that is recorded/mixed well.
My tendencies are to Progressive Rock, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Marillion, Supertamp etc.
My house/Basement is now gone and I am into a Condo. New Lady, New Life.
Just to let you know where my head is sound wise. Here is what I have trained my ears on.
I have had a Mark Levinson Amp and Preamp, A fully optioned Linn LP-12/Lingo and loads of Very Good Cables/Interconnects,Speakers etc. for the last 20 years. 
I've been using modified Proac Response 2's and Sand/Lead filled Target stands with 2 Vandersteen Subs. So you know I love Imaging, Depth and Quick Transients.
My ears have been Very Spoiled...Having friends/Clients that work in the industry has it's rewards.
I am now down to one sub and the Proacs. Have had two noise warnings from the Condo Board Gestapo, So Head-fi it is.  :)
I have had many Headphones since the Seventies and never really spent much time with them until I got the warnings and then a Little Dot III (ver. IV).
I have settled on an older pair of HD-650's. Heard newer ones and they sounded different...have no idea why?
I put a Zu Audio, Mobius II cable on the phones and a custom made 3 foot power cable on the amp and I would put this present combo I have assembled up against anything.
Subjectively it is Amazing!! Differences in tubes are readily discernible.
It is real nice to have met a bunch of guys to talk to who have a collective knowledge that I can tap into.
We can all save each other time and money by collaborating.
I hope I can contribute to the group. And have some fun along the way. If anyone would like to PM me with a blurb about themselves...Mail away.
I have already spoken to "Mikelap" on the phone..this site is going to be Fun!
Maybe one day the moderator will take off the handcuffs and let me do some meaningful stuff on here.

Steve..

Condo Board Gestapo funny man lol i know what you mean went thru that as well.sometimes i feel like going crazy but i to have to take it easy thats what i miss the most about having a basement and cranking it out oh well. Usually i have my 6N6PIR power tubes on the amp with Tung Sol octal black glass so i decide to install the Electro Harmonix 6H30PI to see how they are with octals since usually they are not as warm sounding as the IR finally  i like it cleans thing up just enought in my opinion will leave them on for a bit. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,783 of 13,432
I saw these on eBay last night.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221354389799

These look different to the above examples.

Tesla date codes:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070824161210/http://www.radiojournal.cz/tab4.htm

If I am seeing this correctly.... these tubes: CL = November, 1955

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #4,784 of 13,432
Hi Chiman, Hi Gibosi,

These are the photos I took.  The Yellow Printed ones came with the original boxes and sound OK but not stellar. Thnk Radio Shack Stuff.
The Ones labeled in White sound Incredible! Better than my Mullard 8100's or my Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV's
Need more feedback from the crew on here . Which tubes do you like that DO NOT require any mods to the amp.
If I have to mod this amp to get better sound I will just move upmarket but I really

I am at the point of diminishing terms already.
This Little Dot Rocks!!!  You all know that already.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #4,785 of 13,432
So i bought this old LittleDot II+ amplifier second hand on flebay for pocket money which unfortunatly arrived in a sad state with one channel completely dead, headphone socket all wobbly, and power tubes flashing and arcing during warm up. Considering all i paid for it i wasn't that bothered, but figured it was worth trying to fix up for some fun.

On tear down i came to the conclusion it had taken a fall at some stage, volume pot was all banged up with a split PCB which explained the dead left channel, and the headphone socket was showing signs of physical abuse too causing the wobbly and cracking connection. Back on flebay i ordered up a new pot and headphone socket for $10, and a pair of Russian 4P1L tubes for $5 to replace the 4P1S items that were arcing and quite frankly freaking me out
blink.gif

After a bit of iron waving surgery i got all the new bits installed and have been listening to it all night long with a pair of Grado 225is plugged in.  Honestly i was expecting this to be either a bit meh, or an utter piece of crap but instead i am genuinely shocked at how good this thing sounds. Ok its a bit overly tubey and warm but its not lacking in detail or high end response at all, i am really surprised with this little thing and finding it very hard to fault. 10/10 for fun factor.

I do have one question though, is it normal for the case to get so hot you cant hold your hand on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back