Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #4,741 of 13,432
Hi,

Here is the final impression of testing the GE 6CG7/6FQ7 tube after burning it in for close to 40 hours. Basically it accords with what I wrote before:

Compared to it's Japanese Raytheon cousin it is darker sounding and not as quick, but the bass is fuller and more hefty, but could sound boomy. The mid range is good with a lot of detail. Timbre excellent and no sibilance in the treble. Sound stage is impressive. Both the bass and treble are more recessed in the background compared to the Raytheon that is more forward and open sounding.

This tube is quite good and reminds me of an upgraded Ei 6HM5 "fireworks" tube in how it sounds. There are two peculiar u-shaped attachments on top of the top mica. (I have three other GE 6CG7 tubes that don't have those attachments - we'll see how they sound at a later time.)

Conclusion: A nice tube (and far superior to ANY 6AK5 tube) but does not get top honors.

Next: A RCA 6CG7/6CQ7 side getter tube from July 1972 (Code DX). Judging from the somewhat bent pins it probably is a used pullout. Used is sometimes better - does not require grueling burn-in.

First impression: It sounds different and lower gain. Let's leave it at that for now until my listening brain is adjusted.

The blotch on the left inside the tube is the side getter flash.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #4,742 of 13,432
Thanks Gary,

I ordered 4 Matched pairs of the Yugo 6HM5 and 2 Matched pairs of  Philips 6AK5 that I found.

I like to have spares and extras so I can trade.  :)

I have extra  N.O.S.Tesla 6F32's marked LG & STAB  witch I believe is 1952 Military.

Anyone have anything to trade?

They sound incredible!

Steve.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,743 of 13,432
  Thanks Gary,

I ordered 4 Matched pairs of the Yugo 6HM5 and 2 Matched pairs of  Philips 6AK5 that I found.

I like to have spares and extras so I can trade.  :)

I have extra  N.O.S.Tesla 6F32's marked LG & STAB  witch I believe is 1952 Military.

Anyone have anything to trade?

They sound incredible!

Steve.

Here's free advice dont spend extra on matched pairs not worth it . I might add that as long as they are the same type and from same company its good enough for me .

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #4,744 of 13,432
Just an FYI....
I never spend extra. So why not? sure can't hurt.
My tube guy Dragan in Serbia does it for free when I order two or more.
He has a very large supply of NOS tubes in 100 lots...all kinds of stuff.
He tests all his tubes and grades them.So he will match as close as he can, but you do not get a fancy box.
Now I understand some people like the old boxes too, but I am into sound and I rarely spend more than $6 per tube.
So having tube parameters closely matched for no charge I feel is a good thing and I have never had any issues with stuff from him.
If any one wants his email. PM me.

Steve.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,745 of 13,432
  Just an FYI....
He tests all his tubes and grades them.So he will match as close as he can, but you do not get a fancy box.
Now I understand some people like the old boxes too, but I am into sound and I rarely spend more than $6 per tube.
So having tube parameters closely matched for no charge I feel is a good thing and I have never had any issues with stuff from him.

Steve.

Free is good : )

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,746 of 13,432
Mike (lap)

Just read your profile...We could be twins our intrests are so alike.
And you live in Montreal, I grew up in Laval and Ste. Agathe!
Here is a question, I have one tube that flares up at the bottom ever time I power up my amp.
I have no issues with the tube(sound) but it is the only one that does it.
Whats up with that?

Steve.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #4,747 of 13,432
  Mike (lap)

Just read your profile...We could be twins our intrests are so alike.
And you live in Montreal, I grew up in Laval and Ste. Agathe!
Here is a question, I have one tube that flares up at the bottom ever time I power up my amp.
I have no issues with the tube(sound) but it is the only one that does it.
Whats up with that?

Steve.

Are you still in Province! about tube flaring up i have a pair like that, i know its normal so nothing to worry about beyond that i dont remember why it does that exactly but if you use the SEARCH FUNCTION atop the page you will probably find the answer in this thread.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4,748 of 13,432
You see on post 3544 a picture of the flareup of tubes it seem that was a feature for military tubes to get to temperature faster. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #4,749 of 13,432
Very Cool.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,750 of 13,432
  Just an FYI....

Steve.

Dragan is the man highly recommended i did bussiness with him few times.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #4,751 of 13,432
Yup,

Dragan is a short wave radio technician and has a job with the National Weather Service.
He keeps the Satellite Receivers and up-links etc. in working order.
He dabbles selling tubes and stuff on eBay and is a Stand Up Guy..

Steve.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4,754 of 13,432
Pm'd You

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #4,755 of 13,432
Guess I better Post.

His email is astronomy@verat.net

His name is Dragan and his eBay id is:

Top-rated seller

tachonz (2094 )

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back