Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #13,006 of 13,434
Pulled out the old MK IV SE and this is still my favorite tube combo.
:)
20230204_230910.jpg

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #13,008 of 13,434
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #13,009 of 13,434
According to a Russian audio forum (https://forum.vegalab.ru/showthread.php?t=61505&page=257&p=2357037&viewfull=1#post2357037) the "T" might stand for "Titanium" and the tubes were used in aircraft radio equipment.

But even the author seems to be not completely sure about it: "If so, I got some information for you, I’ll make a reservation as to how objective or reliable it is, I don’t know. 6N6P-T-these lamps were once used on aircraft in radio equipment, a T-titanium anode, possibly in order to reduce weight, but I personally believe, because military acceptance means: the production time is longer, increased resistance to maximum permissible parameters, resistance to radiation is not excluded and the conclusions may be nickel-plated (shiny) to prevent oxidation over time." (Google translation of the post)

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #13,010 of 13,434
According to a Russian audio forum (https://forum.vegalab.ru/showthread.php?t=61505&page=257&p=2357037&viewfull=1#post2357037) the "T" might stand for "Titanium" and the tubes were used in aircraft radio equipment.

But even the author seems to be not completely sure about it: "If so, I got some information for you, I’ll make a reservation as to how objective or reliable it is, I don’t know. 6N6P-T-these lamps were once used on aircraft in radio equipment, a T-titanium anode, possibly in order to reduce weight, but I personally believe, because military acceptance means: the production time is longer, increased resistance to maximum permissible parameters, resistance to radiation is not excluded and the conclusions may be nickel-plated (shiny) to prevent oxidation over time." (Google translation of the post)
Maybe it's the variant designed to be used as logic gates in old computer systems. I know there is a 6n6p designed for this frequent "on/off" type operation, but I don't know the designation.

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #13,012 of 13,434

Thank you for finding that and translating it. It's another possibility that does not feel definitive such as the sources I saw thinking it might be a Transmission tube or Frequency Carrier tube. Because some tubes have thorium filaments and T represents thorium on the periodic table of elements, I wondered if it could be a thorium tube. Ti represents Titanium. While both metals begin with a T in Russian, the online translation for transmission that I saw did not but that does not rule out the possibility of a synonym beginning with T.

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #13,013 of 13,434
Might be 6n6p-i
You probably mean the 6N6P-IR tube which was made for intermittent operation. If I remember correctly the stated lifespan of this tube was only 500 hours, but I am sure that referred to military conditions. Such tubes (which i have) should last much longer when used in headphone amps.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #13,014 of 13,434
Thank you for finding that and translating it. It's another possibility that does not feel definitive such as the sources I saw thinking it might be a Transmission tube or Frequency Carrier tube. Because some tubes have thorium filaments and T represents thorium on the periodic table of elements, I wondered if it could be a thorium tube. Ti represents Titanium. While both metals begin with a T in Russian, the online translation for transmission that I saw did not but that does not rule out the possibility of a synonym beginning with T.
Well, it seems that both of us were completely wrong. Found this article (https://elektrouzel.ru/instrumentat...,91-samopisec-tipa-ds1-dsr1-ds1-t-dsr1-t.html) that finally explains the meaning of the "T". It stands for "Tropical" and it's apllied to tubes that can widstand ambient temperatures from 5 to 55°С and relative humidity up to 95%. :palm_tree::tropical_drink:

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #13,015 of 13,434
Well, it seems that both of us were completely wrong. Found this article (https://elektrouzel.ru/instrumentat...,91-samopisec-tipa-ds1-dsr1-ds1-t-dsr1-t.html) that finally explains the meaning of the "T". It stands for "Tropical" and it's apllied to tubes that can widstand ambient temperatures from 5 to 55°С and relative humidity up to 95%. :palm_tree::tropical_drink:
Seems to me that most any tube could withstand these conditions... After all, once the tube is turned on, it will heat up to anywhere between 35C to 120C or more, depending on the tube.
Don't know how the relative humidity affects the tube.

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #13,016 of 13,434
You probably mean the 6N6P-IR tube which was made for intermittent operation. If I remember correctly the stated lifespan of this tube was only 500 hours, but I am sure that referred to military conditions. Such tubes (which i have) should last much longer when used in headphone amps.
6N6P-I and 6N6P-IR are both on ebay. I believe I means impulse and R long durability with military applications rating for the 6N6P-I 500 hours and the 6N6P-IR for 5,000 hours.

Feb 9, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #13,017 of 13,434
Seems to me that most any tube could withstand these conditions... After all, once the tube is turned on, it will heat up to anywhere between 35C to 120C or more, depending on the tube.
Don't know how the relative humidity affects the tube.
Yes, that makes sense. I think those specs are related to the original device described in the page (some sort of temperature/humidity recorder device?). Nevertheless, later in the same page there's a table describing the schematics of a "electronic amplifier" and one of the components is a 6Н6П-Т tube. The column reads "Tropical performance".

Did some more digging about these "tropical" tubes and found an interesting discussion about it. There's a 1963 reference book called "Generator and modulator lamps" by Bondarenko V.I. that describes the "T" tubes as "with increased dielectric strength" (https://forum.datagor.ru/uploads/monthly_10_2011/post-2776-1319195029.jpg). This makes sense as tubes will have to work in conditions of overheating and humidity - up to condensation (and the breakdown voltage of the tubes will drop when overheated).

Take all this with a pinch of salt, as I cannot read Russian, and I'm relying on Google Translator and Lens.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #13,018 of 13,434
I contacted a Russian tube amp designer that I have been in contact with and asked what the T designation means.
Here is his answer:

The letter "T" stands for thermal stability. Such tubes are designed to work in high temperature conditions, for example in deep wells.
thumbnail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back