Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #12,993 of 13,434
year is okay for the price ,can‘t say wrong.Have fun with it.
By the way,you know the price for the HP 3?
The prices are specified at the bottom of the product pages.

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #12,994 of 13,434
Dec 17, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #12,995 of 13,434
That looks very cool! What is the time frame for delivery? Love to hear your thoughts on the sound.

I checked out the link but I need to check a currency converter. :ksc75smile:
Two weeks, but mine will probably be ready on Monday.

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #12,997 of 13,434
Hi guys, I have a problem.

I've recently upgraded to Hifiman Edition XS cans which are planar 18ohm.

My amp is a Little Dot MK2. Due the way it works I have to keep it on the 300ohm highest gain setting for good sound.

Is there a chance of damaging the cans or the amp because of this?

Some impressions on the cans:
I've come from the HD600 paired with Mullard 8161. These sound better with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. The difference from Sennheisers to these is immense. Way bigger soundstage, better bass, more detail, way faster cans.
These can run just fine out of the DAC, no sound problems like little bass etc but they don't sound nearly as sweet as on the amp.

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #12,998 of 13,434
Hi guys, I have a problem.

I've recently upgraded to Hifiman Edition XS cans which are planar 18ohm.

My amp is a Little Dot MK2. Due the way it works I have to keep it on the 300ohm highest gain setting for good sound.

Is there a chance of damaging the cans or the amp because of this?

Some impressions on the cans:
I've come from the HD600 paired with Mullard 8161. These sound better with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. The difference from Sennheisers to these is immense. Way bigger soundstage, better bass, more detail, way faster cans.
These can run just fine out of the DAC, no sound problems like little bass etc but they don't sound nearly as sweet as on the amp.
Little Dot OTL amps don't have the current output that planar headphones require, you are doing yourself a real disservice by not powering the headphones properly. OTL amplifiers are designed for high impedance headphones and sound their best with them.

The XS are 18 ohms which is well below the output resistance of Little Dot OTL amps so these headphones won't sound their best no matter what jumpers or switches you change. The best thing would be to use the MK 2 as a preamp for a solid state amp properly driving the XS.

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #12,999 of 13,434
Hi all,

Sometimes you buy a tube that does not have the manufacturers name on it, but some letters are visible. I just found a little guide that identifies US manufacturers that made tubes for the military - JAN (or Joint Army and Navy tubes). May come in handy:

"Most tubes found today are ex-military, and carry Joint Army-Navy (JAN) designations in either a long form or an abbreviated version ahead of the tube type number. The known makers are: GE (JAN-CG or JG); Hytron (JAN-CHY or JHY); Raytheon (JAN-CRP or JRP); RCA (JAN-CRC or JRC); Sonotone (JAN-COZ or JOZ); Tung-Sol (JAN-CTL or JTL); Westinghouse (JAN-CWL or JWL)."

So, if you find a 6AK5 tube where you only can read the letters CG, you know it is a GE tube; a JTL tube means it is made by Tung-Sol etc..

Hope this is helpful in identifying tubes.

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #13,000 of 13,434
This is an old thread, but you say you found a little guide for the JAN tubes. Is that something that was just put together as a simple reference, or was it published somewhere? If so, could you provide a title, or where it could be found online? I am trying to find out what authority made those designations. The only military authority I know is the MIL-E-1 series of documents, but I could not find it there. Thanks.

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #13,003 of 13,434
Jan 24, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #13,004 of 13,434
More than 800 pages in this thread. It seems that I came late to the party. :slight_smile:

Finally got my hands on a Little Dot and, as they say, better late than never.

I'm stockpilling Op-Amps (yes, I have a LD1+) and tubes and started to do some comparing with them. I think I will have fun for many years :L3000:

I was intrigued by the number of tube families that can be used and really liked the DIY projects that can be made with breadboards. I still have a couple questions about them:
  • What jumper settings should be used? 91?
  • @MIKELAP put together a nice list of tube types that can be used in page 326. Does the wiring is the same for each tube in each of the 3 families? I mean, all 6Vs can use 6DJ8 wiring, all 12Vs can use 12AX7 and all driver octals can use 6SL7 wirings?
Thanks

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #13,005 of 13,434
Hi everyone,
I'm new to tubes and really enjoying listening to my Little Dot mkII.
Have ordered a few different flavours of tubes to try and find the best combo (thanks to the
tireless research conducted on these pages)
Has anyone compared their pimped LD to a more luxury tube headphone amp?
Would love to know how far this little thing can go, with the right tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back