Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Nov 10, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #12,331 of 13,434
thank you :)

... changing a little the argument but not the product... I noticed, unfortunaltely only after I placed my order and payed, that the tube on the left has a small damage in the housing, top border close to number "7"... what do you think about? the dealer declared tested tubes with 16mA and 17mA... I've read somewere (don't remember where and about which tube) that a small fall down could cause problems in transconductance but not in the other parameters normally mesured/declared? are those b.s. or there is a truth?

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #12,332 of 13,434
I now have the 6N26P and I've been listening to them for a few days. I think that they are well worth trying as power tubes. To me they sound better than the 6H30Pi and the 6N6P-IR.

IMG_6543.png

Their construction seems to be closer to the 6H30Pi than the 6N6P-IR. They have a flat round double braced getter and the spacing of the anodes is further apart.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #12,333 of 13,434
thank you :)

... changing a little the argument but not the product... I noticed, unfortunaltely only after I placed my order and payed, that the tube on the left has a small damage in the housing, top border close to number "7"... what do you think about? the dealer declared tested tubes with 16mA and 17mA... I've read somewere (don't remember where and about which tube) that a small fall down could cause problems in transconductance but not in the other parameters normally mesured/declared? are those b.s. or there is a truth?

In my experience, vacuum tubes are not nearly as fragile and delicate as people often think, and a few scratches and dents in the black metal cans of a C3g should not be a problem. When you finally get them, your ears will be able to tell you if they are good or not. :)

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #12,335 of 13,434
OK so I rolled the Tung-Sol 6AK5 into my LD MKIII and have been listening for a while now...absolutely amazing! It's a Maverick Audio D2 DAC & Beyer DT990 600ohm system and the LD never sounded this good.
So clean and detailed, it's amazing to me that swapping out the driver tubes makes this much difference. My gain is set at 5 and the volume is right at 9:00 with the 990's.
Acoustic Alchemy is drifting into my mind like smoke in an old jazz club. Good Lord this is good! This is what this hobby is all about...

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #12,336 of 13,434
I'm still thinking about how freakin' good Acoustic Alchemy sounded last night on the LD with those Tung-Sol's...
I'll have to try some different material and see\hear if everything sounds that good...

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #12,338 of 13,434
I'm still thinking about how freakin' good Acoustic Alchemy sounded last night on the LD with those Tung-Sol's...
I'll have to try some different material and see\hear if everything sounds that good...

I often find that different tubes suits different music or different recordings better. Let us know of your findings. I haven't tried T-S 6AK5.

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #12,339 of 13,434
C3o vs. C3g ... is there any difference in sound?
specs of C3o declare is like a C3m but at 6,3V... and C3m should be the older version of C3g... so... ?

The C3o and C3g have different pinouts, so it would be necessary to obtain yet another different adapter. My thinking was that it was likely not worth the extra money and hassle, so I have no experience with the C3o and can't say how it compares to the C3g.

I suggest that you get a pair and let us know? :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #12,341 of 13,434
I was thinking about other potential tubes that could be used for the Little Dot and I wondered if anyone had considered octal pentodes as driver tubes?
The 6SJ7, 6SG7 and 6SH7 all have a heater current of 0.3 and adaptors exist for them to be used in place of a 6AK5.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #12,342 of 13,434
I was thinking about other potential tubes that could be used for the Little Dot and I wondered if anyone had considered octal pentodes as driver tubes?
The 6SJ7, 6SG7 and 6SH7 all have a heater current of 0.3 and adaptors exist for them to be used in place of a 6AK5.
I don't think we ever tried them since they are metal can tubes and you don't get to see that awesome glow. :wink:

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #12,344 of 13,434
Sorry for late reply, here some pics to the point I stopped. The little screw inside the pot is removed but still the metal pot does not come out. What to do now?
little dot 1.jpg
You have to remove the volume knob and unscrew the pot from the front plate.
The pot will also unplug from the board via the white connector on the end of the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back