Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Feb 21, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #9,166 of 13,448
  .......Like my Westinghouse plates looks similar to your Philco

I believe this is a Raytheon.

$_57.JPG

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #9,167 of 13,448

.......Like my Westinghouse plates looks similar to your Philco

I believe this is a Raytheon.

$_57.JPG

This is a Raytheon i have will check for Raytheon's also to match my Westinghouse   .Thanks                                                                                                                              

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #9,168 of 13,448
I have the ALPS Blue Velvet in the MK IV, I am not sure what is in the MK III.
A solder sucker or some dry wick will work good, the boards traces are fairly decent.

Hi TD, the volume pod is certainly a good point of action to improve SQ. Question, is the Alps Velvet the default MKIV volume control? Have you looked for a stepped attenuator to fit?

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #9,169 of 13,448
Hi!
I've had the LD MKIV SE for about 3 years now but only recently (past 6 months or so) started tube rolling. I've read this thread from the beginning right to the end. It only took me a month or two
biggrin.gif
But it was a good read to say the least! So much information in here it's incredible! As most people (I assume) I read the first post and ordered a matched pair of waay overpriced 6ZH1P-EV. Great tubes overall but nothing compared to the 6HM5's I moved on to later as I kept reading this thread. They really took the LD to a new level.

I skipped the breadboard adapters and using double triodes as driver tubes. As I'm into PC modding, naturally I want things to look just as good as it performs. So no flying wires for me, lol. Instead I went straight to the C3G and 6SN7 combo with adapters after reading hypnos1's comments on those tubes. I've only tried 2 sets of powertube replacements yet. First I got the psvane UK-6SN7's. I've never heard such a dramatic change in sound as I did with the psvanes in the LD. Much more clear and detailed sound compared to the stock 6H30PI's. A couple days ago I got a pair of Sylvania 6F8G's with adapters. They are burning in as I type this but first impressions is that they are a tad warmer than the psvane's and not as much bass neither. But that could change as I put more hours on them. Here's some pics of my setup
PuHdM82.jpg

Psvane UK 6SN7 and Siemens C3GS with chinese adapters that I modified to look a little nicer:) I filed off the socket mounts and painted them matte black.

YZwQiL5.jpg

Here's the 6F8G's. They get quite tall with two adapters:) Just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread for all the usefull information! Oh, and I got a pair of 6N5S's on the way too and an external psu
L3000.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #9,170 of 13,448
Hi TD, the volume pod is certainly a good point of action to improve SQ. Question, is the Alps Velvet the default MKIV volume control? Have you looked for a stepped attenuator to fit?

The Alps is the default control for the MK IV series, it is cheap and has very good channel matching.

The Dact CT2 on the other hand is an excellent attenuator, but with most 21 step type units I find there is always a time where the current level you are listening to is too low and the next click is too loud. This doesn't happen with a 48 stepped unit like the Khozmo or a 41 step unit like the Acoustic Dimension, unfortunately they are too big to fin in our cases.

Goldpoint has 47 step units that will fit, but they are only available in 10K and 50K which will not work.

Then there is this clown, selling a 24 step unit quoted as  "probably the best attenuator on this planet". I really don't know about other planets and if there are better ones.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #9,171 of 13,448
The Alps is the default control for the MK IV series, it is cheap and has very good channel matching.

The Dact CT2 on the other hand is an excellent attenuator, but with most 21 step type units I find there is always a time where the current level you are listening to is too low and the next click is too loud. This doesn't happen with a 48 stepped unit like the Khozmo or a 41 step unit like the Acoustic Dimension, unfortunately they are too big to fin in our cases.

Goldpoint has 47 step units that will fit, but they are only available in 10K and 50K which will not work.

Then there is this clown, selling a 24 step unit quoted as  "probably the best attenuator on this planet". I really don't know about other planets and if there are better ones.

I suggest for him to try Alpha Centauri or Kepler 438b for this comparison, lol.
Gonna stick with the Alps Velvet in the MKIV then.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #9,172 of 13,448
  This is a Raytheon i have will check for Raytheon's also to match my Westinghouse   .Thanks                                                                                                                               

Interestingly, this Raytheon has Sylvania-style black T-plates and heat radiators. Very similar. However, 1940s Sylvanias typically have grey-smoked glass bottles, top micas with metal "umbrella spoke" spacers, steel rather than copper grid posts, and a different the way the copper wire connected to the top grid cap is bent.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #9,173 of 13,448
I suggest for him to try Alpha Centauri or Kepler 438b for this comparison, lol.
Gonna stick with the Alps Velvet in the MKIV then.

So many Class M planets and so little time to search them all... There would be some excellent attenuators on Cardassia Prime but you would get better deals on Ferenginar.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #9,176 of 13,448
  Which planet is closer?I would like to go there and pick up the best POT/ATTENUATOR......:)

The closest planet to me is planet Partsconnexion 30 minutes away.
biggrin.gif

Leaving earth on the Defiant would take you around 11 days to get to Terok Nor at a speed of 1816c since it is 52ly away.

Consulting with Stellar Cartography shows Cardassia Prime is 5.2ly away from Bajor and Ferenginar is 65ly away from Bajor. Since Cardassia Prime is only one more day away, it would be you closest location to pick it up in person.

You would have no faster way to get there than on the USS Defiant

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #9,177 of 13,448
  Hey guys...For those of you running 40's Ken Rad 6SN7s...Do you notice a vast difference (or any at all) between the angled and straight plate versions???

If "angled and straight" is your way of saying "staggered and parallel", I am not able to say... Based on comments and observations regarding these two Ken-Rad VT-231 versions in the 6SN7 Reference thread, I have purchased only staggered plate versions. And I can say that these are excellent tubes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #9,178 of 13,448

If "angled and straight" is your way of saying "staggered and parallel", I am not able to say... Based on comments and observations regarding these two Ken-Rad VT-231 versions in the 6SN7 Reference thread, I have purchased only staggered plate versions. And I can say that these are excellent tubes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

Yes and copy.

Thanx.
-Mark

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #9,179 of 13,448

Which planet is closer?I would like to go there and pick up the best POT/ATTENUATOR......:)

The closest planet to me is planet Partsconnexion 30 minutes away.
biggrin.gif

Leaving earth on the Defiant would take you around 11 days to get to Terok Nor at a speed of 1816c since it is 52ly away.

Consulting with Stellar Cartography shows Cardassia Prime is 5.2ly away from Bajor and Ferenginar is 65ly away from Bajor. Since Cardassia Prime is only one more day away, it would be you closest location to pick it up in person.

You would have no faster way to get there than on the USS Defiant

Hey TD would it be asking to much of you , could you drop me off at Risa lol my favorite M class planet a little further away though at 90 light years ill pay for the Dilithium cristal .Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back