Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #8,446 of 13,434

Yes, I believe the GE, EL and Sylvania 6HM5 to be quite similar. Personally, I have not heard the Sylvania and EL, but others report that these and the GE are quite similar. So my general advice is go for the cheapest ones. :)

I end up buying the EI's just gotta wait for the seller to ships them. Since they came out cheaper, glad I did as as soon after i bought them, he raised the price by 4 dollars. so I paid $12 Right in time.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #8,447 of 13,434
So there I was, trying to install the Voshkod and Phillips tubes with my Philips screwdriver when I was interrupted by a tube roller using a vacuum tube....

test1.jpg

vacuum-tube.jpg

And to round out the wacky images - a trio of lady tubes:

il_340x270.687060100_8zwz.jpg

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #8,449 of 13,434
Received a pair of Sylvania brown base 6SN7WGT tubes. Besides, the HE-500 problem still exists, when using them as power tubes, they sound really nice with the HD800s (+ C3GS). The cosmetic disadvantage is that with the large chrome cap of the Sylvanias, I hardly see any tube glow, lol. More after some more listening...
L3000.gif

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #8,450 of 13,434
Hi,

Still trying to do something about the hum from my PC sound card. I have a little USB DAC, but when I plug it in there is no sound coming out from the audio jack. Should I disable the Realtek Audio that the PC comes with?

Something else I can do to activate the USB DAC?

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #8,451 of 13,434
  Hi,

Still trying to do something about the hum from my PC sound card. I have a little USB DAC, but when I plug it in there is no sound coming out from the audio jack. Should I disable the Realtek Audio that the PC comes with?

Something else I can do to activate the USB DAC?

I had some initial issues with my topping d20 DAC and connecting it with my laptop. If I remember correctly I believe I went into audio devices and found the DAC and set it as the main device/default and that allowed it to work. Hope this helps.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #8,452 of 13,434
USB DAC set as main device but nothing happens. To the left of the box is a bar graph that shows sound output - it only works for Speakers and not for DAC. I am not able to click on the Apply button - maybe that's the problem.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #8,453 of 13,434
I have no idea then =/ maybe go on devices and printers and see if your device is there and maybe try changing some settings update drivers etc. Have u tried it out of other USB ports? just in case that port is dodgy.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #8,454 of 13,434
  USB DAC set as main device but nothing happens. To the left of the box is a bar graph that shows sound output - it only works for Speakers and not for DAC. I am not able to click on the Apply button - maybe that's the problem.

Your using vista right what player are you using ,ill try and explain i have a bose desktop setup and my dac setup for my amps both are activated .When i point to speaker icon i see the bose setup but when i open Musicbee it might show the bose setup or it might show the dac setup depending if i listened to utube or something else .So in order to listen to my amps via dac i need to activate the dac in PREFERENCE >PLAYER  in my case its burson conductors dac and my usb interface works with wasapi once thats changed i APPLY changes and all is well . If you had photo capture of the screens it would be simpler.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #8,455 of 13,434
Problem solved.

Found a site that said that some Windows OS cannot switch to a DAC from the Win audio output while a music browser is running. I shut off the Musicbee, and then turned it on again. It worked! The output goes through my DAC now.

I think Gibosi told me about this little DAC a couple of years ago.

$T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgI7DBQq+E%21rDsg%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Anyhow, this is what I have on hand. My objective was to find out if I could decrease the hum from my PC by using an external DAC.

So how did my experiment go? The answer is that the hum is somewhat lower with this device but it is still noticeably there. My laptop, chromebook and CD player make much less hum, down to a tolerable level.

In conclusion only a slight improvement and not meeting my objectives. Now I just have to figure out if the sound from the DAC is better than the built in Win sound card....And I better not trip on that wire connecting the DAC across the floor in my room!

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #8,456 of 13,434
Hi Mikelap,

I am using Musicbee, but all those abbreviations and screens leave me confused. I can access a manual for Musicbee and maybe try to figure it out, but I am totally unfamiliar with all the different stuff with the strange names.

ASIO, ASIO4ALL, WASAPI, AIMP3 and Foobar - don't know what these mean. Hey, if I can learn what the difference is between a C3m and a C3o I could pick this up too! (If you can tell what the difference is you get a honorable mention LOL.)

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #8,457 of 13,434
  Hi Mikelap,

I am using Musicbee, but all those abbreviations and screens leave me confused. I can access a manual for Musicbee and maybe try to figure it out, but I am totally unfamiliar with all the different stuff with the strange names.

ASIO, ASIO4ALL, WASAPI, AIMP3 and Foobar - don't know what these mean. Hey, if I can learn what the difference is between a C3m and a C3o I could pick this up too! (If you can tell what the difference is you get a honorable mention LOL.)

OK, I am not addressed, but I may still help I guess. ASIO is a direct software interface from your player to your dac. It circumvents besides others the windows equalizer. THe proper ASIO only works if your hardware manufacturer delivers a specific driver for ASIO. If that is not the case, you can download ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com/), which works well for me. It is not as ideal as perfect hardware ASIO, but still good. WASAPI is the Windows (since Vista) own audiophile software interface. It comes just after manufacturer's ASIO in priority.

You can find the settings for Musicbee in Edit -> Preferences -> Player.

AIMP3 and Foobar are alternative players to Musicbee.

Enjoy!

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #8,458 of 13,434
  Hi Mikelap,

All you need to know his here            http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #8,460 of 13,434

Congrats!
Very nice, it should perform Toe to Toe with MIKELAP's Woo collection.

The point to point build on those looks great.

The inside is really nice alot nicer than the Woo  very clean .  But there's one thing TD what you cant see cant hurt you .Damm i just saw it lol .But there's an upside to everything .Ahhhhh!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Both inner guts make me drool I'am a sucker for P2P wiring i really like them they are pretty to look at and easy to mod depending on chassis/case size.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back