Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #7,276 of 13,448

Given lemonjelly's description of the "melted" resisters in his amp, I think you should still be concerned:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/7170#post_10808730

On the other hand, no one else has reported a similar failure and you may well be able to run 6AS7/6080 in your LD indefinitely. The fact that you, hypnos1 and ilm2 have yet to have a failure of any kind due to these output tubes is one more example of the value and quality inherent in LD products. These cheap little amps are simply amazing!

Nonetheless, I think everyone here understands the risks very well so I will be quiet now.... (says the guy with an LD1+ which doesn't even have output tubes! lol :)

Cheers

I know I should be concerned/careful, g, BUT...after the absence (that really DOES make the heart grow fonder, lol - had almost forgotten just how wonderful the sound is now from my "Little Beauty"), I'm of a mind to postpone the (sensible) mods until lemonjelly can confirm they don't have ANY detrimental effect on the sound WHATSOEVER...if there's the slightest hint they do, I shall continue to play Russian roulette until (possibly!) the worst happens
rolleyes.gif
. Very often, the best info re a problem is when something FAILS (as I have found on many occasions
wink.gif
). Now I have to be prepared for (yet more) chuckles from my repair man! - he couldn't believe what we've been up to, without modifying this, and that...Yes, our LDs certainly are amazing creatures!

ps...Hope you can forgive a foolish old b**ger
L3000.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #7,279 of 13,448
Look at this handsome little thing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111315291396&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Kinda want one just for the look lol

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #7,280 of 13,448
Pretty, eh?

832-3.jpg

image.php

U could get one as a kit for less than $300 shipped (or is it a finished amp - don't quite understand the Chinglish in the Ebay offering). Tubes are not that expensive. Look for FU-32 or 832 tubes.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #7,281 of 13,448
The engrish in the listing suggests that it's a finished amp.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #7,282 of 13,448
There is a thread here discussing that specific amp, and I guess the FU-32 tubes are absolute junk... So if your thinking of picking one up grab some 832's for when the stock tubes let go in a week or are DOA... :D

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #7,283 of 13,448
  Look at this handsome little thing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111315291396&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Kinda want one just for the look lol

I have this exact amp at home. Not bad sounding and works great with headphones as well, both low n high impedance. I think it is a kit that you would need to assemble yourself or did i read that correctly...

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #7,284 of 13,448
Ha good to know... I'm not buying another amp... See my signature... Lol

I will be selling a few though!

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #7,285 of 13,448
Hi,

Back to the serious business of evaluating tubes. The Sylvania 7963 is changing, but only for the better. The bass is getting stronger and better - hard to believe. This is a superb tube. Not much eye appeal with it's spindly wires and tiny size, but the sound is absolutely amazing. Great soundstage, excellent imaging, super presentation and clarity in the lows, mids and highs - WOW!

Highly recommended!

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #7,286 of 13,448
1578s....

Pretty, and sound amazing!! Very nice trebles, with persistence on cymbals plus great defined bass, great energy (attack) on snares and other high energy transients plus beautiful mids (brass, woodwinds and voice). Highly recommended from first hand enjoyment.

Ps - make sure yours have holes in the plates.... Not just metal base!

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #7,288 of 13,448
Well guys, although I'm really loving my MKIV SE once again, like many others I'm always looking for something that might just topple it - but without spending a fortune lol!

I thought I might have found a good contender in the Feliks-Audio Espressivo-E (reviewed in a thread on this forum). However, although VERY nicely made, it only has mediocre Sovtek tubes in situ. and therefore not up to OUR standards!

Anyway, I thought I would just point out to them they would find a much bigger market (especially in the US and Canada) if they used 6SN7s as drivers and 6AS7G/6080s as powers...and they seemed quite interested. They were a little concerned about tube cost, but I pointed out that most enthusiasts already have these tubes, or are prepared to seek out good used old stock, if not NOS.

If this sounds interesting to anyone here, why not email them with your thoughts...could be a worthwhile option, perhaps?...feliks-audio.pl

BTW...the Little Bear P8 arrived today and looks very well made. But with only one driver! So I can't even have a proper preliminary listen
redface.gif
. But with just one channel in my ears, the volume knob is having to go fairly high. Perhaps ilm2's slight disappointment with the Crack could well be down to ONE 6AS7/6080 not really being enough to give the necessary power/dynamics for best performance?
Of course, it's much too early for me to get a proper idea yet!
wink.gif

ps. Forgot the pics of the Feliks-Audio, lol...

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7,289 of 13,448
My MK III will never see a $100+ tube not even $30/Tube............
biggrin.gif

The most i spend for my CHATHAM 6AS7G's are $20/tube and some that i got from auctions it works out to $10.50/tube i've got seven tubes from that auction.
Not even the CRACK or the S.E.X. will see that amount for a tube.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #7,290 of 13,448
  Well guys, although I'm really loving my MKIV SE once again, like many others I'm always looking for something that might just topple it - but without spending a fortune lol!

I thought I might have found a good contender in the Feliks-Audio Espressivo-E (reviewed in a thread on this forum). However, although VERY nicely made, it only has mediocre Sovtek tubes in situ. and therefore not up to OUR standards!

Anyway, I thought I would just point out to them they would find a much bigger market (especially in the US and Canada) if they used 6SN7s as drivers and 6AS7G/6080s as powers...and they seemed quite interested. They were a little concerned about tube cost, but I pointed out that most enthusiasts already have these tubes, or are prepared to seek out good used old stock, if not NOS.

If this sounds interesting to anyone here, why not email them with your thoughts...could be a worthwhile option, perhaps?...feliks-audio.pl

BTW...the Little Bear P8 arrived today and looks very well made. But with only one driver! So I can't even have a proper preliminary listen
redface.gif
. But with just one channel in my ears, the volume knob is having to go fairly high. Perhaps ilm2's slight disappointment with the Crack could well be down to ONE 6AS7/6080 not really being enough to give the necessary power/dynamics for best performance?
Of course, it's much too early for me to get a proper idea yet!
wink.gif

ps. Forgot the pics of the Feliks-Audio, lol...

Actually the 6SN7's on the CRACK is not that bad but compared to 12AU7's(which is i prefer)sound like the 12AU7's have more gain.Or maybe it depends on the tube because all my tubes are used none of them are NOS but you know what i wan't some 6DN7 for the S.E.X. i will asked my vendor if he can sell me a NOS 6SN7's. I would like to try a newer 6SN7 for the CRACK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back