Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Dec 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4,367 of 13,438
Wohaa waaaaay to expensive These tung sol XD
Didn't artsi use them as Power tubes on his mkii?

I'm using them happily as powertubes. Also they work excellent as drivers. And i mean to use only one tube as driver to drive both channels. And it uses 0.6A heater current, so at your own risk! I have most liked two 6SN7's as power.
Tung-sol 6SN7GTB's

And Russian 6N8S from 60's. Newer Russians work very good too as power's. (do not mind made in holland stamp, it is still russian)

As a driver i have favored sylvania 6SN7GTA.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #4,368 of 13,438
Dec 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #4,369 of 13,438
Received my voltage regulator today and am now using 6.3 volts DC to supply the heaters. And yes, it sounds fine. And I am hoping it is quieter, but will need more time....

Rummaging around the basement I found a 24 volt/400ma wall wart from an old cordless drill/driver which should be able to provide about 1.5 amps at 6.3 volts. (If I understand this correctly, we use the formula: Watts = Volts X Amps. So 24 x .4 = 9.6 watts. And then, Amps = Watts / Volts, so 9.6 / 6.3 = 1.5 amps). Much more than is necessary for the 6NS7.....

I anticipate that having a built-in voltmeter will be very useful if I want to roll 12.6 and 20 volt tubes in the future. And yes, that is a roll of electrical tape under the socket. The top of the transformer is quite slippery and the socket moves around too much for my comfort. The tape is somewhat sticky and figure it might isolate the socket somewhat from the transformer.  And then a purple rubber band to hold the voltage regulator to the side of the transformer is just a nice design element, I think. lol

Anyway, now I am ready to roll 6NS7s! :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4,371 of 13,438

I am about to dive into the 6DJ8 pool due to an extremely kind offer from MIKELAP and is I go back and read through the thread when people started to use these I have a few questions.
With the Russian tubes 6N23P is it important to get the “P” version or will a 6N2P work as well, better? Worse?

I do not think there are enough Amprex 6DJ8 tubes to choose from LOL. Man I got lost! Is there a consensus on what “The” tube is? I am looking to not break the Bank so no I will not be spending a 1000$ a set.

To start I am looking for 1 individual to try under 50. Recommendation with link

Thank you
Gary

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,372 of 13,438

I am about to dive into the 6DJ8 pool due to an extremely kind offer from MIKELAP and is I go back and read through the thread when people started to use these I have a few questions.
With the Russian tubes 6N23P is it important to get the “P” version or will a 6N2P work as well, better? Worse?

I do not think there are enough Amprex 6DJ8 tubes to choose from LOL. Man I got lost! Is there a consensus on what “The” tube is? I am looking to not break the Bank so no I will not be spending a 1000$ a set.

To start I am looking for 1 individual to try under 50. Recommendation with link

Thank you
Gary

The usual fail-safe recommendation for a 6DJ8 is the Amperex "Orange Globe" made in Holland between '67 and '69 with a large halo getter - yes, it is that precise lol.

There are better Amperex & Philips offerings, but they tend to be both much harder to find, and usually more expensive. Finding NOS premium Amperex types is virtually impossible for example.

I actually have an "Orange Globe" 6DJ8 that I don't think I'll be using again, tests 20% over NOS range for each triode and perfect silk writing; it's basically NOS and I used it like 20h. PM me if you're interested, I'll make you a deal
wink.gif

Otherwise, the US Amperex 6922 tubes made in the early 60s are extremely good, and so are the E88CC and E188CC made in Holland, the earlier the better. These can be Philips, Miniwatt, Dario, Amperex, RTC, RT... branded, they're all the same tube provided they were made in the Heerlen factory in Holland.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #4,373 of 13,438
  Received my voltage regulator today and am now using 6.3 volts DC to supply the heaters. And yes, it sounds fine. And I am hoping it is quieter, but will need more time....

Rummaging around the basement I found a 24 volt/400ma wall wart from an old cordless drill/driver which should be able to provide about 1.5 amps at 6.3 volts. (If I understand this correctly, we use the formula: Watts = Volts X Amps. So 24 x .4 = 9.6 watts. And then, Amps = Watts / Volts, so 9.6 / 6.3 = 1.5 amps). Much more than is necessary for the 6NS7.....

I anticipate that having a built-in voltmeter will be very useful if I want to roll 12.6 and 20 volt tubes in the future. And yes, that is a roll of electrical tape under the socket. The top of the transformer is quite slippery and the socket moves around too much for my comfort. The tape is somewhat sticky and figure it might isolate the socket somewhat from the transformer.  And then a purple rubber band to hold the voltage regulator to the side of the transformer is just a nice design element, I think. lol

Anyway, now I am ready to roll 6NS7s! :)

Very curious to know whether or not there's an audible difference with the external power supply and regulator!

At any rate, that's a pretty rigged MKI+ lol... Looks more like something on the dashboard of the Delorean in "Back to the Future" than like a tube amp!

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4,375 of 13,438

IWith the Russian tubes 6N23P is it important to get the “P” version or will a 6N2P work as well, better? Worse?

Oskari answered your question about "P". But on the chance that you actually asking about a 6N2P.....

The 6N23P is a version of the 6DJ8. The 6N2P is a 6 volt version of the 12AX7, which has no western equivalent. Interestingly, you can use the 6N2P in a socket configured for a 6DJ8. But just so you know, 6N23P and 6N2P are completely different tubes.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #4,376 of 13,438
  Hi CollectoR13,

Buy these tubes from Yugoslavia; offer $4 or $5 each - free shipping. Asking price is $6.95. Look up on Ebay:

6HM5 /6HA5 / EC900 export quality audio triode tube / NOS / FREE SHIPPING /

As a bonus you will get a 1 second fireworks display when you turn on the tubes. (Don't worry, they are designed to flare up for quicker start, and it will not damage anything)

$T2eC16J,%21%29kE9s4Z-532BRN3+Cb4Nw%7E%7E60_57.JPG

is these tube plug and play?THANKS..

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #4,379 of 13,438
  The 6HM5 is plug and play using the EF95 setting.

Yes sir! Reference this for some tubes that work in the stock LD

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1140#post_9392055

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back