Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #3,481 of 13,434
Hi again Sony Slave,

"How do the Sylvania 6DK6  compare to the Sylvania  6AQ6?"

The Syl 6DK6 is a completely different family than the 6AQ6. The 6AQ6 should be much superior sounding. The 6AQ6 is an early version of the 6AV6 tube and should be very similar to it. I have the 6DK6 but I have not heard the 6AQ6.

IMHO the 6AQ6 are well worth trying.

Good luck!

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #3,482 of 13,434
  Hi again Sony Slave,

"How do the Sylvania 6DK6  compare to the Sylvania  6AQ6?"

The Syl 6DK6 is a completely different family than the 6AQ6. The 6AQ6 should be much superior sounding. The 6AQ6 is an early version of the 6AV6 tube and should be very similar to it. I have the 6DK6 but I have not heard the 6AQ6.

IMHO the 6AQ6 are well worth trying.

Good luck!

Good thing I bought the Sly 6AQ6!

I have question, is it normal to have each and every tubes to sound the same (Voskod, GE JAN 5654W, and Stock Chinese). The only ones to sound different were the Tung Sol's 6AK5.

I really wonder if the tubes that I bought, (Slyvania 6AQ6, 1680 IBM 6BE6, and RCA  6DT6/6DT6A) actually make a drastic difference in sound quality. Even when paired with the Schiit Bifrost Uber, it is still underwhelming.

Maybe I need to invest in those 12ax7 tube (TESLA 7DJ8/ 6N23P ). 
By the way, is their a difference in sound quality between the Russian 6N23P and the Tesla 7DJ8 tubes?

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #3,483 of 13,434
  Good thing I bought the Sly 6AQ6!

I have question, is it normal to have each and every tubes to sound the same (Voskod, GE JAN 5654W, and Stock Chinese). The only ones to sound different were the Tung Sol's 6AK5.

I really wonder if the tubes that I bought, (Slyvania 6AQ6, 1680 IBM 6BE6, and RCA  6DT6/6DT6A) actually make a drastic difference in sound quality. Even when paired with the Schiit Bifrost Uber, it is still underwhelming.

Maybe I need to invest in those 12ax7 tube (TESLA 7DJ8/ 6N23P ). 
By the way, is their a difference in sound quality between the Russian 6N23P and the Tesla 7DJ8 tubes?

I personally did not think that all these 6AK5s sounded the same. But then again, everyone has different ears and different gear....

And while the IBM 1680 (which was manufactured by RCA) and the RCA 6DT6 share a similar "house sound", the various 6A?6 tubes sound very different compared to these two RCA tubes.... to my ears....

The 7DJ8 and 6N23P are 6-volt triodes, while the 12A?7 are 12-volt. To my knowledge, at this point in time, the only person who has heard both of these in a Little Dot is Audiofanboy. Given that, we just don't have enough experience in this forum to be able to say anything meaningful about how these tubes might compare in our LDs.

I do have a pair of Tesla 7DJ8, but haven't had a chance to see if they will even light up. And the same goes for my Reflector 6N23P. Once I have had a chance to spend some time with these tubes, I will come back here to share my impressions. (And of course, if someone else gets around to listening to these tubes before I do, I hope they will let us know what they think! :)

For now, I am still trying to get a handle on the Amperex, Mullard and Siemens 6DJ8. My feeling so far is that the Siemens are a little too cool for my taste. I think I prefer a slightly warmer sound signature. (However, I am sure that there are those among us who would prefer the sound of the Siemens.) Anyway, I want to spend more time with the Amperex and Mullards before I add Tesla and Reflector to the mix.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #3,484 of 13,434
While not exactly a tube-related question, I would like to take advantage of the vast experience of the good people in this forum and ask for recommendations for a DAC costing around $200. (Or more, if I can find one used in the Head-fi for-sale / trade forum for around $200.) The optical-in on my no-name budget DAC is getting flaky and the USB-in is only 16 bit, so I would like to get something better.

Thanks! :)

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #3,485 of 13,434
  While not exactly a tube-related question, I would like to take advantage of the vast experience of the good people in this forum and ask for recommendations for a DAC costing around $200. (Or more, if I can find one used in the Head-fi for-sale / trade forum for around $200.) The optical-in on my no-name budget DAC is getting flaky and the USB-in is only 16 bit, so I would like to get something better.

Thanks! :)

Why not just opt for the ODAC?  I was surprised at how well it really performed.  I had the comb unit with the O2 amp, too.  I sold it because there wasn't a way to use just the ODAC and skip the O2 amp in that scenario.  I've used the Schiit Modi too, but with the Magni amp.  The circumstances at the time were not ultimate to do enough testing.  I'd like to hear the Modi again, though - especially with the Little Dot I+ amp.

Is there a reason for going for a 24Bit DAC?  Do you listen to higher resolution music above regular Redbook CD, which is 16-bit audio?

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #3,486 of 13,434
Edgard Varese said:
  One of my 6A2P heptodes was a little scratchy last night... (I have a lot of spares).  I swapped them out and put in the IBM 6BE6 pair I got, which I immediately discovered to be microphonic.  I will give them a proper listen though (I usually leave a new pair in for a week or so and then swap them).

After giving my issue some thought.  I took a small piece of emory cloth and cleaned up the conductors for the tubes.  I then ensured all the dust from cleaning up the tips had been removed as I didn't want to push that stuff down into the tube sockets.  Ironically, after 30 minutes of listening, I no longer hear the intermittent static on one of the channels.  Normally, it would come in every few minutes and last 3 or 4 seconds long.

I tried to search for my can of Deoxit, which I would have probably tried instead of sanding the conductors - but, what I did was fine.  Some day, though,  I'll unplug the amp, and spray to tube sockets with Deoxiti and let it dry for several hours.  I bought the LD I+ 2nd hand.  Also, noticed that the rear RCA connectors are tarnished a bit and not really the polished gold color of most RCA connectors.  I guess the amp might have been used in an area that wasn't so good for the various connections.

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #3,487 of 13,434

After giving my issue some thought.  I took a small piece of emory cloth and cleaned up the conductors for the tubes.  I then ensured all the dust from cleaning up the tips had been removed as I didn't want to push that stuff down into the tube sockets.  Ironically, after 30 minutes of listening, I no longer hear the intermittent static on one of the channels.  Normally, it would come in every few minutes and last 3 or 4 seconds long.

I tried to search for my can of Deoxit, which I would have probably tried instead of sanding the conductors - but, what I did was fine.  Some day, though,  I'll unplug the amp, and spray to tube sockets with Deoxiti and let it dry for several hours.  I bought the LD I+ 2nd hand.  Also, noticed that the rear RCA connectors are tarnished a bit and not really the polished gold color of most RCA connectors.  I guess the amp might have been used in an area that wasn't so good for the various connections.

I changed tubes last night and played the song that had been playing when I heard the static.  The static remained, suggesting to me the tube is fine, but the recording is not.  
redface.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #3,488 of 13,434

Why not just opt for the ODAC?  I was surprised at how well it really performed.  I had the comb unit with the O2 amp, too.  I sold it because there wasn't a way to use just the ODAC and skip the O2 amp in that scenario.  I've used the Schiit Modi too, but with the Magni amp.  The circumstances at the time were not ultimate to do enough testing.  I'd like to hear the Modi again, though - especially with the Little Dot I+ amp.

Is there a reason for going for a 24Bit DAC?  Do you listen to higher resolution music above regular Redbook CD, which is 16-bit audio?

I second the ODAC... so the stand alone... its awesome, especially for the price... the Modi is good, a lot of people like it, I find it a touch brighter then the ODAC though.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #3,490 of 13,434
Hi to all,I have just received my ld1+ with stock tubes 6J1 i have also ordered a matched pair of Philips 5654 E95F. my problem is i am totaly new to this tube rolling well to be honest i know nothing at all about tubes. So after ordering & paying for the tubes i noticed they are E95F not EF95 does this make a differance? Everything i have read has said that not only do the 5654 tubes suit my LD1+ i also don't need to change any jump settings from 6J1 ? please help a keen newbee... 

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #3,491 of 13,434
  Hi to all,I have just received my ld1+ with stock tubes 6J1 i have also ordered a matched pair of Philips 5654 E95F. my problem is i am totaly new to this tube rolling well to be honest i know nothing at all about tubes. So after ordering & paying for the tubes i noticed they are E95F not EF95 does this make a differance? Everything i have read has said that not only do the 5654 tubes suit my LD1+ i also don't need to change any jump settings from 6J1 ? please help a keen newbee... 

E95F tubes will be fine. They are equivalent to 5654 tubes, which are special quality EF95. Transposing "95" and "F' is the standard way of indicating higher quality in European tubes. For example, I am currently using ECC88 tubes. E88CC are the special quality versions.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #3,492 of 13,434
  I second the ODAC... so the stand alone... its awesome, especially for the price... the Modi is good, a lot of people like it, I find it a touch brighter then the ODAC though.

Why not just opt for the ODAC? 

Thanks for your recommendations. I had a chance to try the Modi and found that it was a bit bright and decided against getting one. And many people have said the the Modi and the ODAC sound the same, so I hadn't really considered it....

At this time I really don't need 24Bit, but I feel that optical on my DAC, which is 24Bit, sounded better than USB. But of course, there might be other reasons.....

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #3,493 of 13,434

E95F tubes will be fine. They are equivalent to 5654 tubes, which are special quality EF95. Transposing "95" and "F' is the standard way of indicating higher quality in European tubes. For example, I am currently using ECC88 tubes. E88CC are the special quality versions.

OK i saw these E88CC so they are in the same family as ECC88 so we can use those also. Thats good 

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #3,494 of 13,434

Thank you so much. You have eased my so much, This is my first dabble into tubes i have always been a ss man. but curiosity & illness has led me to the Little Dot1+ with stock 6J1 & i have fallen in love with my music again. Plus i am having spinal surgery i 2 days & i am going to be laid out for about a month so that's a good time to learn this tube rolling & hopefully have some fun in the process, thanks again gibosi
  thanks bundy  

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #3,495 of 13,434
  Thank you so much. You have eased my so much, This is my first dabble into tubes i have always been a ss man. but curiosity & illness has led me to the Little Dot1+ with stock 6J1 & i have fallen in love with my music again. Plus i am having spinal surgery i 2 days & i am going to be laid out for about a month so that's a good time to learn this tube rolling & hopefully have some fun in the process, thanks again gibosi
  thanks bundy  

I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery, and while you are on the mend, I believe that rolling tubes in your Little Dot will be a great project! :)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back