Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #3,466 of 13,434
  In your or anyone else's experience, what is the best 6AV6 tubes out there in terms of soundstage, treble and detail? 

MIKELAP's posting that you quoted from is in regard to 6-volt double triodes, namely 6DJ8 and 6BQ7A / 6BZ7. These are very different than the 6AV6.....

Of all the 6AV6 I have heard, the GE, Toshiba, FIVRE and Tung-Sol 6AV6 (and sisters, 6AT6 / 6AQ6) with box getters have the best sound stage, treble and detail. And further, after reading Mordy's observations, I think I can safely say that any 6AV6 with box-getters should be excellent.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #3,469 of 13,434
Brimar 6AT6 with box are also better than westinghouse and NEC 6AV6's without box. There seems to be some other structural differences too between with and without the box and that causes different sound.

Here is short list of tubes that are better than my 6AV6's without box, imo.

Sylvania 6DK6 Made in USA. These seems to have little bass boost.

Fivre 6CB6 Made in Italy. They have made something right in Italy.

Lifetime 6EW6 Made in Japan. This pair looks little different inside, but sound is similar.

Raytheon 6AN5 Made in USA -65. These heart of oaks really beats the crap out of NEC 6AV6's. Easy to use with EF95 mode.

Telefunken 6AM6S. Big box on top must do something to music.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3,470 of 13,434
Hi Sony Slave,

I have listened carefully to three types of 6AV6 tubes with the box getter; RCA, Tung Sol and Sylvania.

It seems to me that the RCAs are excellent, but the Sylvania with a clear top, a little dish on top of the plate, side getter, and box top are even better. Here is a picture:

Now, burning in the amp itself, burning in headphones, speakers, and burning in tubes, require a signal. In the olden days you could buy CDs with a burn in signal that comprised all frequencies in a sweep. I would just leave the track on repeat, leave the volume on low, close the door and leave it overnight for a few nights.
Another suggestion is to use FM "white noise" which is what you hear between stations.

Here is a link to white noise, pink noise and something new to me: brown noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CiZxstvEA

My guess is that most mechanical and electronic things improve after a burn in/use period. Just think of a new car, or a new pair of shoes or a new chair - they all function better after being used!

The 6AV6 tubes come into full bloom first after some 50 hours of burn in, and the change is dramatic.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #3,471 of 13,434
Today's random tube thought:  It's too bad that tubes are not available locally for those who seek instant gratification.  The wait is killing me ... and, I still haven't ordered any new tubes yet.  
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,472 of 13,434
  Hi Sony Slave,

I have listened carefully to three types of 6AV6 tubes with the box getter; RCA, Tung Sol and Sylvania.

It seems to me that the RCAs are excellent, but the Sylvania with a clear top, a little dish on top of the plate, side getter, and box top are even better. Here is a picture:

Now, burning in the amp itself, burning in headphones, speakers, and burning in tubes, require a signal. In the olden days you could buy CDs with a burn in signal that comprised all frequencies in a sweep. I would just leave the track on repeat, leave the volume on low, close the door and leave it overnight for a few nights.
Another suggestion is to use FM "white noise" which is what you hear between stations.

Here is a link to white noise, pink noise and something new to me: brown noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CiZxstvEA

My guess is that most mechanical and electronic things improve after a burn in/use period. Just think of a new car, or a new pair of shoes or a new chair - they all function better after being used!

The 6AV6 tubes come into full bloom first after some 50 hours of burn in, and the change is dramatic.

I see. I am looking for the ones that you have posted above, but I can not find them.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #3,473 of 13,434
  Brimar 6AT6 with box are also better than westinghouse and NEC 6AV6's without box. There seems to be some other structural differences too between with and without the box and that causes different sound.

Here is short list of tubes that are better than my 6AV6's without box, imo.

Sylvania 6DK6 Made in USA. These seems to have little bass boost.

Fivre 6CB6 Made in Italy. They have made something right in Italy.

Lifetime 6EW6 Made in Japan. This pair looks little different inside, but sound is similar.

Raytheon 6AN5 Made in USA -65. These heart of oaks really beats the crap out of NEC 6AV6's. Easy to use with EF95 mode.

Telefunken 6AM6S. Big box on top must do something to music.

Thank you. I take it that the RAYTHEON  are the best of the bunch.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3,474 of 13,434
Today's random tube thought:  It's too bad that tubes are not available locally for those who seek instant gratification.  The wait is killing me ... and, I still haven't ordered any new tubes yet.  :cool:
No this is a good thing as the local tube merchant would be my crack dealer...

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #3,476 of 13,434
I got lucky. After searching through an entire list of ads on the 6AV6, 6ATQ, and finally the 6AQ6 family,  I found what mordy was telling me to look for!

I thought I would never find them and I was just about to settle for the Raytheon 6AN5.

The vendor was only selling two of them as well, are these any good?

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #3,477 of 13,434
  Thank you. I take it that the RAYTHEON  are the best of the bunch.

No, no. Best of those 5 tube models are Sylvania 6DK6, Fivre 6CB6 and Lifetime 6EW6. Old raytheons does not have a change against those, but they still win no-box 6AV6's.

Interestingly, the SFR PM07 markings are still visible. In this case, Telefunken apparently relabeled a French tube.

It is not surprise if i like french tubes, i like french cars too (or price of the used cars).

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3,478 of 13,434
How do the Sylvania 6DK6  compare to the Sylvania  6AQ6?

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #3,479 of 13,434
  No, no. Best of those 5 tube models are Sylvania 6DK6, Fivre 6CB6 and Lifetime 6EW6. Old raytheons does not have a chance against those, but they still win no-box 6AV6's.

It is not surprise if i like french tubes, i like french cars too (or price of the used cars).

I'm thinking that might be why the Ratheon tubes are only commanding about $1.50 each on Ebay at the moment.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #3,480 of 13,434
Hi Sony Slave,

I can't find them either right now. However, patience pays off. Keep on looking on Ebay, and they will show up.

The other thing is that many pictures are not clear, and some tubes only have pictures of the box. The answer is communication. Ask the seller which type it is, and send a picture to show what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back