Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2,611 of 13,448
Here is the little I found about Haltron vacuum tubes. Seems very clear that it was a British re-brand company and that the tubes could come from anywhere.

1. Haltron ( = Hall Electric Ltd ) imported crummy valves from
    Western Europe, mainly West Germany, an re-badged them.
Haltron was a tube marketer rather than a manufacturer,
similar to Xaerix, National (OK, National did make
SOME things) , IEC, Calvert Electronics ("Gold Monarch"), Pinnacle
and Realistic.

Haltron sold tubes from all over. As with other marketers,
if you're smart and observant enough to be able to determine
who actually made the tube, you may find some hidden
treasures amongst Haltron tubes. 30 years ago, Haltron
didn't give a flying hoot who made what tube so long as
the price was right, and back then, not too many cared
so long as it wasn't WE or Eimac. Of course the reverse
applies, too, they might be Eastern European or Japanese,
but if the price is right, they might still be a good deal.

"Haltron"-branded tubes could be almost anything, but are usually of European origin.

Now u know more than most about Haltron tubes LOL........

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,613 of 13,448
I need a pair of those Detox tubes, just to pull myself away from those evil heptodes for a few minutes...

I was trying to *not* give early impressions of comparing the Mazda M.B.L.E. and Mullard Blackburn EH90, but I just can't wait that long or for an x0h burn-in. So, yeah, here are a few impressions of these two pairs compared to each other and to the "Haltmens" Haltron 6BE6 that are like the Siemens EK90 -I never got to the point of actually looking for Siemens EH90, going on vacation kind of dropped me from being one of the cool kids around here lol!

- M.B.L.E. EH90 unstrapped: excellent overall, clearly on the UK side of the Euro-Tubiness Continuum (R), ETC for short; very natural with vocals and mid-centric music, almost euphonic at times. Soundstage is appreciably large but not weirdly so, treble and mids have a pleasant tubey warm ring to them, and are very detailed, could use a drier or slightly speedier attack; bass, which I recalled to be thumpy and deep, just doesn't seem to hit that hard listening with my refreshed ears, excellent and just a tad warm. Shortfall of these tubes: not good for anything hard or electronic. Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac or Fiona Apple will sound gorgeous and true-to-life, but any kind of Hot Chip, Daft Punk or whatever hard candy floats your boat just doesn't sit well with these.

- M.B.L.E. EH90 1-7 strapped: excellent overall, very similar to above, noticeably louder, bass possibly lighter (may explain my different impressions from before actually), as good or better than unstrapped; but seems even worse with any non-acoustic music for a strange reason. I would use either setting without worry, so probably unstrapped by safety and laziness.

- "Haltmens" 6BE6 (Siemens EK90, should sound similar to prized Siemens EH90 when unstrapped, as same exact tube essentially) unstrapped: excellent overall, dry and detailed like good tubes should be, excellent treble and micro-detail, very good but not huge soundstage. Bass is very nice but could be a bit more emphasized, dry and thumpy anyway, which is good. Treble is probably what these tubes do best and where the "quality" and toe-tapiness lie; these render upper end detail on well-recorded tracks in an excellent way. Mids are excellent imo, but are, indeed, way over on the sterile side. Now, I don't mind that, because the tubes sound balanced that way, but that does throw them way on the other end, the German end, of the ETC (R) -not as much as, say, Telefunkens, but pretty far imho. These tubes are excellent and a riot to listen to on hard electronic tracks, but become less and less enjoyable the softer your music gets. I remembered these as being more versatile and immediately pleasing than they sound to me now. Note that I did not enjoy these tubes strapped in any way.

- Pope EH90 "Made in Holland" (a lie, they are B coded, so made by Mullard in Blackburn, Mullards basically) unstrapped: excellent, period...? OK, now I have less than 2 hours on these so bear with me; I just don't have the time for marathon burn-in session like everybody else is doing lol. These should have sounded the same as the M.B.L.E EH90 (Philips group, same design with minor differences), but they don't -actually they sound closer to how I remember the M.B.L.E. sounding- and they sound great. Being Mullards, these should have been pinned to the wall on the UK side of the UTC (R), but they aren't, they're actually somewhere in the middle, closer to Holland standards -which is interesting since they're "Made in Holland" and since "Pope" tubes are supposed to be Philips Heerlen overproduction, but nevermind that. These tubes have the same large and realistic soundstage as the Belgians but just sound less "soft and tubey". Treble is and mids are excellent and detailed but never any kind of sibilant and also very natural sounding. Bass is hard-hitting and deep, but it's always a tough call before burn-in; it *seems* like it will be excellent. Anyway, I'll wait the usual 30h to make a call, but these might be the best of three pairs, at least in some regards. They just do all genres well, and that's kind of a necessity for me -I just can't change tubes twice a day everyday, that's just just not how things work.

All three pairs are excellent though, it's just that that last one is showing more promise than other two; It may still not end up being ideal in the end.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2,614 of 13,448
Quote:
my wife is the same age and she thoroughly dislikes my musical taste (20's classic jazz)

Actually my wife has no issues with my love of 20's through 50's jazz . She likes Gennet label recordings , Artis Shaw , Adrain Rollini Charlie Christian, but not much interested when I veer into the Buddy Miles Express , hendrix or Family classic rock type territory.

Thanks for the tip on your preferred tube . I'll look for some of those

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,615 of 13,448
Quote:
I need a pair of those Detox tubes, just to pull myself away from those evil heptodes for a few minutes...

I was trying to *not* give early impressions of comparing the Mazda M.B.L.E. and Mullard Blackburn EH90, but I just can't wait that long or for an x0h burn-in. So, yeah, here are a few impressions of these two pairs compared to each other and to the "Haltmens" Haltron 6BE6 that are like the Siemens EK90 -I never got to the point of actually looking for Siemens EH90, going on vacation kind of dropped me from being one of the cool kids around here lol!

- M.B.L.E. EH90 unstrapped: excellent overall, clearly on the UK side of the Euro-Tubiness Continuum (R), ETC for short; very natural with vocals and mid-centric music, almost euphonic at times. Soundstage is appreciably large but not weirdly so, treble and mids have a pleasant tubey warm ring to them, and are very detailed, could use a drier or slightly speedier attack; bass, which I recalled to be thumpy and deep, just doesn't seem to hit that hard listening with my refreshed ears, excellent and just a tad warm. Shortfall of these tubes: not good for anything hard or electronic. Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac or Fiona Apple will sound gorgeous and true-to-life, but any kind of Hot Chip, Daft Punk or whatever hard candy floats your boat just doesn't sit well with these.

- M.B.L.E. EH90 1-7 strapped: excellent overall, very similar to above, noticeably louder, bass possibly lighter (may explain my different impressions from before actually), as good or better than unstrapped; but seems even worse with any non-acoustic music for a strange reason. I would use either setting without worry, so probably unstrapped by safety and laziness.

- "Haltmens" 6BE6 (Siemens EK90, should sound similar to prized Siemens EH90 when unstrapped, as same exact tube essentially) unstrapped: excellent overall, dry and detailed like good tubes should be, excellent treble and micro-detail, very good but not huge soundstage. Bass is very nice but could be a bit more emphasized, dry and thumpy anyway, which is good. Treble is probably what these tubes do best and where the "quality" and toe-tapiness lie; these render upper end detail on well-recorded tracks in an excellent way. Mids are excellent imo, but are, indeed, way over on the sterile side. Now, I don't mind that, because the tubes sound balanced that way, but that does throw them way on the other end, the German end, of the ETC (R) -not as much as, say, Telefunkens, but pretty far imho. These tubes are excellent and a riot to listen to on hard electronic tracks, but become less and less enjoyable the softer your music gets. I remembered these as being more versatile and immediately pleasing than they sound to me now. Note that I did not enjoy these tubes strapped in any way.

- Pope EH90 "Made in Holland" (a lie, they are B coded, so made by Mullard in Blackburn, Mullards basically) unstrapped: excellent, period...? OK, now I have less than 2 hours on these so bear with me; I just don't have the time for marathon burn-in session like everybody else is doing lol. These should have sounded the same as the M.B.L.E EH90 (Philips group, same design with minor differences), but they don't -actually they sound closer to how I remember the M.B.L.E. sounding- and they sound great. Being Mullards, these should have been pinned to the wall on the UK side of the UTC (R), but they aren't, they're actually somewhere in the middle, closer to Holland standards -which is interesting since they're "Made in Holland" and since "Pope" tubes are supposed to be Philips Heerlen overproduction, but nevermind that. These tubes have the same large and realistic soundstage as the Belgians but just sound less "soft and tubey". Treble is and mids are excellent and detailed but never any kind of sibilant and also very natural sounding. Bass is hard-hitting and deep, but it's always a tough call before burn-in; it *seems* like it will be excellent. Anyway, I'll wait the usual 30h to make a call, but these might be the best of three pairs, at least in some regards. They just do all genres well, and that's kind of a necessity for me -I just can't change tubes twice a day everyday, that's just just not how things work.

All three pairs are excellent though, it's just that that last one is showing more promise than other two; It may still not end up being ideal in the end.

Hi AFB. Full marks for getting back in the saddle while still 'recuperating' from the travel. Good luck with the catch-up!

Nice tube comparison - even though it is early stages (but you do seem to be able to get a fairly good flavour of a tube before most of us lesser mortals, lol). Am glad it looks as though there COULD be a discernible difference between the M.B.L.E.s and the Blackburns, and that I wasn't hallucinating!! Whatever, yes, both are wonderful. I think you will be even more impressed after 30-50 hrs...(just how many hours do you have in a day?!!!).

Keep up the good work...

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,616 of 13,448
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, Haltron did not manufacture tubes. They merely purchased tubes, probably the cheapest deal they could find, and relabeled them for sale under their own brand. So it often takes a bit of sleuthing to figure out which company manufactured a particular Haltron tube. In the case of a Haltron 6CS6 made in Japan, I have no experience with this tube and don't recall anyone posting anything. Maybe one of our lurkers has this tube and would be willing to give us some feedback. :)

I have those tubes didnt touch them yet they are part of the backlog  but ill start burnin them in now                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2,618 of 13,448
Aug 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,619 of 13,448

Lookie what came today! (been a little over a month)

the BVA on the back appears to be a tube type? In very faint print on both tubes is a date code that reads "GE1 B8H3" (this doesn't jive with the Mullard coding scheme, or I'm just sleep deprived.. X is smudged looks like 4)

Builds looks identical to the Valvo I have on hand (same getter, internal wiring and components), except the glass edges aren't completely smooth and the glass feels thicker.

Burning them in now... I will report back when I've tested them strapped.

EDIT @1hr

At the start these sounded really congested... constipated really... they are opening up, bassy, mids are sweet and treble is detailed but lacks a little sparkle... they definitely sound like the Valvo EH90 I originally tested... looking back my notes even sound very similar at the 1 hr mark. I'll continue to burn these in for about 10 hours (that's how long it took the Valvo's to stabilize) and report back on my observations tomorrow. (tubes unstrapped EF95 setting for bass line tests) Also noteworthy is that this pair does not suffer from the microphonic issues that the Valvo's had.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2,620 of 13,448
Wow AFB, nice impressions galore. When you feel confident enough to rank them, please do.

Today, I received two Valvo EH90, most likely produced in the same factory (Production codes GE1 B4F3 on one GE1 B4XX on the other (XX is not readable). I have just blitzed through the straps. Please, you EH90 owners out there, do try 6/7 = EH91/92 if you can find the time, you might be surprised...

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,621 of 13,448
Quote:
the BVA on the back appears to be a tube type? In very faint print on both tubes is a date code that reads "GE1" (this doesn't jive with the Mullard coding scheme, or I'm just sleep deprived)

Builds looks identical to the Valvo I have on hand (same getter, internal wiring and components), except the glass edges aren't completely smooth and the glass feels thicker.

BVA = British Valve Association. 

GE = EH90
1 = change code.

Just below GE1, in a second line, you should find the date code, 3 or 4 characters. For example B4F3. I suggest you use a magnifying glass with very bright lighting. I have found that if I lay the tube on a white piece of paper. the etched characters stand out a bit better. 

Edit: Oh "GE1 R8X3"

R is probably B. As the most likely candidates for the Philips EH90 are B = Blackburn, D = Hamburg and L = Belgium.
8 = 1968. R = Mitcham and I have never seen an EH90 from that factory....

X = A letter between A - L for one of the 12 months

3 = the third week of that month.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,622 of 13,448
Quote:

BVA = British Valve Association. 

GE = EH90
1 = change code.

Just below GE1, in a second line, you should find the date code, 3 or 4 characters. For example B4F3. I suggest you use a magnifying glass with very bright lighting. I have found that if I lay the tube on a white piece of paper. the etched characters stand out a bit better. 

Edit: Oh "GE1 R8X3"

R is probably B. As the most likely candidates for the Philips EH90 are B = Blackburn, D = Hamburg and L = Belgium.
8 = 1968
X = A letter between A - L for one of the 12 months
3 = the third week of that month.

Thanks for the tip! Using a white background instead of my monitor helps... GE1 B8 lol I dunno OMG What 3 is what it looks like... probably a worn off H

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2,623 of 13,448
Been listening to Siemens 6cs6  and Haltron 6cs6 the Siemens have 30 hours on them and the Haltron 4hours so what i did i tested the 2 pairs on ef95 and ef 92 settings personnally i like better the EF92 setting they seem to be a bit cleaner sounding bass quality and quantity to me sounds similar and i swapped them several times its really not a day and night all the tubes tested recently to me have very subtile differences not being an expert and earing not being like it use to its not easy .next ill try the 1-7   strap with both                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2,624 of 13,448
Thanks MIKELAP, I think I'll grab a pair from the seller in Toronto... It won't be a 3 week wait...

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #2,625 of 13,448
Was thinking of using Littledot mk3 as preamp with my Pioneer SX750 and i was told against doing this because of possible dc current surge any body here knows if the caps are dc blocking caps 
 this is from the vintage thread  .Thanks                                                                                                                                                                   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back