Little Dot MKVIII SE is coming!!
Nov 7, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #61 of 66

Quote:
Did you have a chance to listen to them side by side or are you basing your post on David's opinions?

I was just saying yes to both questions, that for $550 DjAmTraX will benefit from better sound as well as the pre-amp feature. Whether or not the improvements in sound alone will be worth the $550 is subjective, but IMO DjAmTraX would definitely benefit from more power and balanced operation with the HD800. Whether or not the preamp feature is useful to him depends on what he wants to do with his setup. Whenever you move up in models within the same product line you generally get what you pay for, especially with a value-based line like Little Dot.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #63 of 66
Pretty sure the Vi is more powerful than the Viii so it depends on the demands of your headphones as to whether you need that power or not.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #64 of 66
The VI is more powerful than the VIII, but the VIII is more 'refined'.  That's all I've found in a comparison of the two. The VIII is supposed to have a newer version coming out soon as well.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #65 of 66
FYI, I have the MKVI (not the +).  I corresponded with David about the fans when I purchased the amp, he told me that the fans are just there as an extra precaution.  As long as the ambient temperature in the room is below 85 degrees Fahrenheit, he told me I can just disconnect the fans.  I disconnected them as soon as he told me that, and have been running this amp for two years fanless, with no problems.

So would I buy a less powerful amp, just because it runs without fans.  Ummmmm...  No....

I just love the MKVI.  I mainly use it as a balanced pre for a Krell amp and Polk speakers.  When not listening through speakers, I'm using it for Senn 650's with a balanced cable that Signal Cable made for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back