Little Dot MKVIII SE is coming!!
Dec 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

pekingduck

Headphoneus Supremus
Just noticed LD has finished the design of their latest flagship tube amp..(from erji.net w/pics)

Basic info:
- Specifically designed for cans of 300-600 ohm, not suitable for current-hungry ones
- No cooling fan!
- Balanced, just like the MKVI
- Tubes: 12AT7, 6H30PI
- Price: USD $799

Just thought some of you might be interested in this
icon10.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 66
Thanks pekingduck! This sounds really interesting!
I've tried to translate the page.. it seems it doesn't require cooling fan because is designed for high impedance cans, which does not require high power output. Am I correct?

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 66
Its Looks like this amp is design to drive high impedance headphones (300-600ohms), power output is reduce from MK6 in order to run the amp without cooling fans.

IMHO running 4 X 6AS7G or 6080 on MK6 without cooling fan is just too much for the chassis to disapate heat efficiently. But damm, does it output some power... I love my MK6...

So, in summary its lite version of MK6 design to run cool without using the cooling fans and drive high impedance headphones.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks pekingduck! This sounds really interesting!
I've tried to translate the page.. it seems it doesn't require cooling fan because is designed for high impedance cans, which does not require high power output. Am I correct?

100% correct
normal_smile .gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So this is the rumor Little Dot HD800SE amp a few months back. Nice coincidence btw, Little Dot MK "8" SE and Senn HD "8"00 lol....

Yep I bet the VIII SE was based on that HD800SE...
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 66
From the price tag, it supposed to be better than MK6+.
But I am thinking about a HE-5 which need a lot of current, So maybe I have to keep my eyes on MK6+ still.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by martinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does MKVI+ suitable for HE-5?

Very good question
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 66
Anyone know where to order this coming MKVIII shipped to US? I know it is Chinese New Year but it seems they have starting producing it and ready to ship after festival.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good question
wink.gif

I kinda doubt it..

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kinda doubt it..

Yea me too on 2nd thought
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hifiman has said many times that the HE-5 needs LOTS of current. Points to SS territory IMO.

I'd have to differ on that one since the matched HiFiMAN amp, the EF5, is a compact single-tube job that has a high-quality outboard power supply that's bigger than the amp itself. It dives the HE-5s quite well with a hot (wall-powered) source, but really works if you use a USB-powered one. I am speaking of DACs, of course
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back