Little Dot MKVII+ Jumper Settings.
Jul 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:

MK VII

On=Low Gain.

OFF=High Gain.

From The Manual.

The only phone that requires the High Gain Setting is the K1000,you can actually run it from the low gain on the VII but that is another story.

MKVII = 800Mw -> 300 ohms

MKVII+ = 300Mw -> 300 ohms

Believe me with the MKVII+... 300 ohm cans sound better on high gain (off position)

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #18 of 28
i just got the mkVii+ too

so should i set to  OFF???

when i am at ON

i have to turn the volume nob higher then my MKV

at off  pretty much the same

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
i just got the mkVii+ too

so should i set to  OFF???

when i am at ON

i have to turn the volume nob higher then my MKV

at off  pretty much the same

Are you running it balanced or single ended? I ask because in SE mode I need to turn the volume high as well (I have it set to off). I mentioned it on the LD forum and David said that it is optimally designed to run balanced.

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 28
It was  Single end.( can't test balanced out until next week, will receive balanced cable for hd600)

and I am just not too happy,
as i am having this Crackling noise issue from the right , but David said  All MKVII+ have the same issue
( even volume set to 0, with nothing else plug in, I can hear that noise from the right)

This is his reply

Yes, it is the same with all the Little Dot MK VII+s unless you want it with lower power, which would reduce the noise below hearing level.  For an amplifier as powerful as the Little Dot MK VII+, you may hear the noise floor (especially since the right amp gets power first).  One advantage of balanced usage however is that it cancels out any noise in the system which is why it'll only affect the single-ended output.  Generally though, it's soft enough to not be audible during musical playback.

Best Regards,
David

does everyone have the same issue on single end???

I have even recorded that noise using line in connect to the MKVII+ 's headphone out when it is set to O in volume...

anyone want to hear it????
send me a PM i will send it using Email ( just 1.4 mb)

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:

Yes, it is the same with all the Little Dot MK VII+s unless you want it with lower power, which would reduce the noise below hearing level.  For an amplifier as powerful as the Little Dot MK VII+, you may hear the noise floor (especially since the right amp gets power first).  One advantage of balanced usage however is that it cancels out any noise in the system which is why it'll only affect the single-ended output.  Generally though, it's soft enough to not be audible during musical playback.

Best Regards,
David

does everyone have the same issue on single end???

I have even recorded that noise using line in connect to the MKVII+ 's headphone out when it is set to O in volume...

anyone want to hear it????
send me a PM i will send it using Email ( just 1.4 mb)

I don't have the noise on mine (I use a cheater to eliminate hum) but do need to turn the volume quite high in SE mode. I also needed to use a cheater and turn the volume quite high on a Perreaux SXH2 ($800 SE amp)

When I first went to order the amp I thought it was going to be the original MKVII which (as I have noted before) was a more powerful amp at 800Mw -> 300 ohms.
I've got a message into David at Little Dot about all this so I'll see what he says. I find it odd that he said the buzz is normal so if you want to PM me the recording I'll listen. The hum on mine is a basic ground loop that plagues a lot of (most?) amps if you can't get the grounding right.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 28
I sent back two VII+, with the same problem.  Lower SN#'s though, 30's and 50's.  For me it was like RF noise.  Like an old poorly tune AM crystal radio.  The noise was on one channel, same loudness whether the volume knob was at 0 or max.  Not noise floor like David said.  I just got tired of telling him one thing and he would say another. 

First one had channel imbalance and the RF noise.  David said my ears have not adjusted to a balanced amp.  I said I am currently using a balanced amp for many months now.  So he sent me a snapshot of a scope showing two perfectly matched waves to prove I was wrong.  Second one had reversed L R channel output for the balance out and the RF noise.  He said he had to hire new workers to fill the large volume of orders.  They make mistakes. 

On my third unit now, sound wise good, finish poor.  Face plate poorly cut, bent volume pot shaft.  Really tired now but it sounds good so I've been enjoying music these past months.

I still believe in David and LD because the sound is good, the price is affordable and the service is good for a small company.  Bit of a hassle yes, but I always got a replacement.

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
I just bought a LCD-2 and i wonder if i should do low or high gain setting >>>>

Did you find out which to use? I just purchased an LCD-2 as well to go with my DAC_I and MKVII+ and am wondering about the gain setting and also whether the amp will prove powerful enough to drive the LCD-2's to their full potential.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #27 of 28
I am currently using the MKVII+ with the LCD2 on minimal gain.  My normal listening is @ 9:00 which I measured peaked at about 87db.  This amp has power to spare for the LCD2.  It could even drive the HE6 to very loud levels.  On low gain and measurements of 87db peaks the LCD2 is at 9:00 and the HE6 is at 12:00.  Both on balance out.  Also on low gain and the HE6 plugged in the balance out and the LCD2 plugged in the SE out, sound levels are almost equal.  And yes the MKVII+ can easily drive both of these headphones at the same time this way.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
I am currently using the MKVII+ with the LCD2 on minimal gain.  My normal listening is @ 9:00 which I measured peaked at about 87db.  This amp has power to spare for the LCD2.  It could even drive the HE6 to very loud levels.  On low gain and measurements of 87db peaks the LCD2 is at 9:00 and the HE6 is at 12:00.  Both on balance out.  Also on low gain and the HE6 plugged in the balance out and the LCD2 plugged in the SE out, sound levels are almost equal.  And yes the MKVII+ can easily drive both of these headphones at the same time this way.

Very helpful info, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back