Little Dot MKVII+ Available Now!
Jan 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 164
I got an email from David saying that with the original Mk VII that people were using low to medium impedance headphones and "thus had noise floor issues with the MK VII" and the Mk VII+ is thus better for headphones with impedances 32 to 300...

I was just wondering if anyone has had noise issues with the Mk VII?

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by musico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got an email from David saying that with the original Mk VII that people were using low to medium impedance headphones and "thus had noise floor issues with the MK VII" and the Mk VII+ is thus better for headphones with impedances 32 to 300...

No noise and black backround with my MKVII. Ultrasones, Grados, Denon...Quiet...

Quote:

Because at 7 o'clock you are listening quite loud,sometimes I take it up to 8 o'clock and over if it is one of my older CD's that was produced before the loudness wars.

This however, is not my findings, though. With my Senns (balanced or SE) and Beyers my dial is at 10-11 o'clock. Listening with low impedance cans my dial is at 9 o'clock. The amp scales very nice and brings out the best of your cans. This is with the LD DAC_I on balanced and a CDP on the RCAs...

This amp does not just make the volume louder on low impedance 'phones. It grabs your cans by the b@lls and makes them shine...The bass slam on my Ultrasones goes deeeeeep and very tight...

beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by musico /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine is dead silent now but did have to go back because of slight noise in one channel,that is using phones that will test the noise floor of any amp CD3000's.

I must add that LD live up to there warranty,it was carried out in a very professional manner with no loss to me.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #19 of 164
Hmm I think I may still get the MKVII+ because of it's gain. But who knows, maybe there is a difference in sound quality and the more powerful MKVII is better
smily_headphones1.gif
Just trying to find out where and when the MKVII+ can be bought...

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #20 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No noise and black backround with my MKVII. Ultrasones, Grados, Denon...Quiet...

This however, is not my findings, though. With my Senns (balanced or SE) and Beyers my dial is at 10-11 o'clock. Listening with low impedance cans my dial is at 9 o'clock. The amp scales very nice and brings out the best of your cans. This is with the LD DAC_I on balanced and a CDP on the RCAs...

This amp does not just make the volume louder on low impedance 'phones. It grabs your cans by the b@lls and makes them shine...The bass slam on my Ultrasones goes deeeeeep and very tight...

beerchug.gif

At the 9 o'clock position with CD3000's you would have no hearing left,I am listening now at halfway between 7 and 8 and it is as loud as I want to go.
Then again every amp I have had with these phones has never gone past 9.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I think I may still get the MKVII+ because of it's gain. But who knows, maybe there is a difference in sound quality and the more powerful MKVII is better
smily_headphones1.gif
Just trying to find out where and when the MKVII+ can be bought...

I believe you can buy the MK Vll+ now,it is the MK Vll that is unavailable at the present time.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #22 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is dead silent now but did have to go back because of slight noise in one channel,that is using phones that will test the noise floor of any amp CD3000's.

I must add that LD live up to there warranty,it was carried out in a very professional manner with no loss to me.

The CD3000's are a 32 ohm headphone right? And good to hear that it can be silent with these amps! I see what you mean by using the lower ohm ones is good to test the noise floor

I'm thinking of using the AKG 701 with them

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #23 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the 9 o'clock position with CD3000's you would have no hearing left,I am listening now at halfway between 7 and 8 and it is as loud as I want to go.
Then again every amp I have had with these phones has never gone past 9.

Hello ford2,

Thanks for the input. When I emailed David before purchasing, he even advised that it would be overkill for low impedance cans, so I was surprised when I was able to control the volume knob very smoothly and it scales nicely with full sound.

This amp I purchased over three years ago (Xenos 3HA) is basically unlistenable with Grados. Great with Senns and Beyers but the volume can't go past 7 o' clock with Grados and they sound "hollow". It was truly tailored for high impedance cans only. That's why I was surprised that the MKVII does not have this problem with low impedance cans. Really a great amp and silent the MKVII....I find myself listening to my Ultrasones with it a lot (30-75ohm)...

turbo8inneongreenaf0.jpg

beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #25 of 164
I am placing my order today and am interested in how this new amp will perform balanced with my AKG K701's.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #26 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am placing my order today and am interested in how this new amp will perform balanced with my AKG K701's.

I cannot wait for your results!

LD has always impressed me, and the fact that they are still constantly updating their product line speaks gallons!

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #27 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello ford2,

Thanks for the input. When I emailed David before purchasing, he even advised that it would be overkill for low impedance cans, so I was surprised when I was able to control the volume knob very smoothly and it scales nicely with full sound.

This amp I purchased over three years ago (Xenos 3HA) is basically unlistenable with Grados. Great with Senns and Beyers but the volume can't go past 7 o' clock with Grados and they sound "hollow". It was truly tailored for high impedance cans only. That's why I was surprised that the MKVII does not have this problem with low impedance cans. Really a great amp and silent the MKVII....I find myself listening to my Ultrasones with it a lot (30-75ohm)...

turbo8inneongreenaf0.jpg

beerchug.gif

It does indeed control the low impedance phones very well,the main reason I got mine was to go balanced and have been more than happy with this amp.
What would have been nice was a gain switch of 8/2 instead of 8/4 or even better 8/4/2.
This amp is a nice bit of gear as I am sure the MKVll+ is.Teamed up with the Dac_1 it is a very hard to beat combination.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #28 of 164
Mine arrived safely this afternoon!

The package includes a power cord, a cheap RCA-to-RCA cable and a manual. The amp is well protected.

pajapaacl.jpg

(didn't bother to fix the white balance, sorry
wink.gif
)

My setup: Macbook > Airport Express > LD DAC_I > LD MKVII+ > Balanced HD600

I listened to various classical and pop music for 2 hours before writing this brief review. From time to time I switched between SE and balanced for comparison.

Fired up The Dark Knight OST..the bass now had more presence and slam, and, went deeper. No contest here, balanced operation totally crushes SE.

Another big change is the dynamic. The music is more lively and toe-tapping (or air-conducting in the case of classical
normal_smile .gif
). The clarity is
also greatly improved. I never understood PRaT before, but now I think I do
biggrin.gif

Listened to Beethoven's "Emperor" and I was thoroughly impressed. The piano has never sounded this good. The tone is crisp and clear. String instruments are also nicely reproduced. Where's the Sennheiser veil??

Regarding soundstage and imaging, well, the HD600's are not that great to begin with so I'll reserve my judgement for now..

I plugged in my ESW10JPN (42 ohm, the lowest I have) for a quick listen and did not notice any hiss.

Thanks
happy_face1.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #29 of 164
WOW!
ksc75smile.gif

Looks like you are the first HeadFier to get this new amp.
Congratulations and Enjoy! I got an Email from David saying that these amps are in low supply and are essentially being hand made one by one. He said he would email me when one is ready to ship so I can purchase. In the mean time enjoy and any further impressions are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back