Little Dot MKIII used as preamp with GREAT results!
Apr 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CQ DX

New Head-Fier
I am beyond ecstatic at how my system sounds! To think I spent as little as I did (plus an extra 50 bucks for CBS Hytron JHY-6AK5 drivers) for the MKIII, used primarily as a line preamp, and secondarily as a head amp, is unbelievable. I cannot believe how detailed and 'liquid' my Magnepans now sound! The MKIII, to me, is an audiophile bargain worthy of note.

YouTube - McIntosh system using tubed preamp

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 14
how deep does the bass reach with those maggies?

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 14
Bass is there, but of course with smaller planars, there is not much impact or 'slam' compared to 'monkey coffins' (conventional box speakers). Which is why I have a Velodyne sub in-line that really helps in that regard. I'm the type that switches speakers around from time to time, and I have a pair of vintage Polk Monitor 10's and a pair of Epos M16i's lying around that I hook up once in a while. Those go down lower than the Maggies.

Anyone else using your head amp as a line preamp?

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 14
Now you've got me curious. I'm going to try my MKIII in my maggie speaker system too!

I would also be curious to find out how you hooked up your sub using the MKIII.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 14
I used a pair of Audioquest 'hard Y' connectors at the MKIII's preamp out jacks, then simply connected my amp and my powered sub this way.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=AQM22FHRD

I have heard that not all amplifiers work with the MKIII, so exercise caution. I think I remember hearing (please don't quote me on this, as my memory is vague) that 'direct coupled' amps will not work with the MKIII. David Zhe Zhe at Little Dot would know more info.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 14
One more thing... I was told that you shouldn't really hook up more than 2 components at the MKIII's RCA outs. The impedance drop might be a bit too much for the MKIII. In this case, hooking up just an amplifier and a subwoofer with the 'hard Y' connectors should be OK.

I am still in awe at the synergy/sound of this MKIII used as a preamp. Just yesterday, we hooked up my brother's 'Vincent audio' tubed preamp to my system, and we honestly could not tell the difference between it and the much more inexpensive MKIII!

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 14
I got some y connectors and tried it out in my speaker system. I feel my speaker system already has great sound. But when I took out my Rotel 1072 preamp and replaced it with the MKIII, I noticed I still got the same great sound but with a touch of added liquidity and warmth. Not bad at all considering the MKIII costs less than half what the Rotel cost. I'm glad to have given this a try. Unfortunately I have to put the Rotel back in because in my speaker system, a remote is a must. But this may just give me the motivation to find a replacement tube preamp with remote for my Rotel.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 14
Resurrecting this because I was about to post the same thing. Then I decided to search and see if anyone else had already said it. Sure enough, here we are.

I have the Little Dot running out to my 2.1 setup (modest, but it's what I can afford!), which is out from the preamp outs on the MKIII to a Dayton Sub-100, and from there to a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors. The BX5a's already sounded pretty great to my ears, but adding the Little Dot into the mix has really improved the whole thing.

It's also really nice to finally get away from using software volume control.

Loving the amp so far. The only thing I wish it had was a second input.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Nice, I need to do something like this.  However, I always assumed i would use an amp, but having active monitors would be much more convenient for a small room.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Nice, I need to do something like this.  However, I always assumed i would use an amp, but having active monitors would be much more convenient for a small room.

Yeah, I originally wanted to just buy a nice quality stereo receiver and do some passive bookshelf speakers, but I just don't have the space for it. My computer desk is crammed into this tiny little walk in closet type space and there's just no room left in here.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 14
I am just trying the next set:
iMac-Dac Magic 100-Little Dot MK III-Onkyo receiver- Monitor Audio BX2.
It sounds great, but I wonder if it is the right way to do it or not. Any suggestion?

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 14
I am running a similar setup Ibasso DX90 --> LD MK III --> M Audio BX5 D2

the sound is great the sabre days provide the high resolution clear sound and the LD adds some warmth to it. the sound compliments my HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back