Little Dot MK VII+ vs Purity Audio KICAS
Feb 11, 2010 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Eagle Eye

500+ Head-Fier
Presently using the KICAS with the DACMAGIC and HD 650's. What benefit if any would I get from using the LD MK VII+? I am pretty happy with the sound of the KICAS but may want to go balanced at some point and with the other amp I could do that. Do you think there would be any benefit to SQ between these two amps?

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Presently using the KICAS with the DACMAGIC and HD 650's. What benefit if any would I get from using the LD MK VII+? I am pretty happy with the sound of the KICAS but may want to go balanced at some point and with the other amp I could do that. Do you think there would be any benefit to SQ between these two amps?

I've never heard the KICAS so I don't know how it compares to the LD MKVII+.

But in my experience with the MKVII+ and HeadRoom Desktop balanced amp (Home modules and built-in DAC and stepped attenuator), the HD650's SQ is significantly enhanced. The 650 literally opens up, removing all traces of a veil, and the result is clarity and dynamics throughout the frequency spectrum. Bass is crisp, tight, punchy, deep. Mids, dynamic.

I believe the DACMAGIC has balanced XLR outs so it should probably work fine with the MKVII+. But I've had no experience with this DAC so I can't say how it synergizes with the MKVII+. Currently, I'm running the MKVII+ with the LD DAC_1.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks, good input. Keep the info coming.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 19
I'm getting very close to going for the LD MkVII+. How was the ordering process? How long did it take to actually get the amp after it was ordered?

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 19
I just got an email from Little Dot that they are on Chinese New Year vacation through the 23rd. They said the amps were available and the shipping takes about 4 to 5 days. I guess that gives me some time to make up my mind. This is a little hard as the KICAS has a very good sound in itself and I think the only difference for me will be the option to go balanced with the HD 650 which I have heard makes a big difference. Decisions decisions, LOL.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 19
I knew they where away so I had some time to think this over. Just wanted some feedback from those who'd actually got this as to the how the process went.

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodoath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting very close to going for the LD MkVII+. How was the ordering process? How long did it take to actually get the amp after it was ordered?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodoath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew they where away so I had some time to think this over. Just wanted some feedback from those who'd actually got this as to the how the process went.

David's communication (and LD's response to customers) is probably the best in the business. Quick response, professional, courteous, intelligent, fair. His word is good. He keeps you posted on every phase of the order. Once ordered, as Eagle Eye says, you'll get it in about 4 days.

Disclaimer: My only association with LD and David is as a customer.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 19
Hey fefian I have a question. What sound differences did you hear with balancing the HD 650? I am just wondering how the combination of the DACMAGIC and LD MK VIII would hold up. I am assuming the DACMAGIC is good enough of a DAC to feed a pretty good source as I have had no problems using it with the KICAS and the sound is pretty good. Have never tried balanced so don't even know what to expect except I keep hearing it makes the HD 650 come alive what ever that means, LOL.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the KICAS so I don't know how it compares to the LD MKVII+.

But in my experience with the MKVII+ and HeadRoom Desktop balanced amp (Home modules and built-in DAC and stepped attenuator), the HD650's SQ is significantly enhanced. The 650 literally opens up, removing all traces of a veil, and the result is clarity and dynamics throughout the frequency spectrum. Bass is crisp, tight, punchy, deep. Mids, dynamic.

I believe the DACMAGIC has balanced XLR outs so it should probably work fine with the MKVII+. But I've had no experience with this DAC so I can't say how it synergizes with the MKVII+. Currently, I'm running the MKVII+ with the LD DAC_1.

I can confirm that the synergy between DacMagic and LD IV SE is fantastic.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks .Sup. I am so tempted to try the MK IV SE but am not sure how the amp would drive or sound with the HD 650. I am so lost between SS and Tubes.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey fefian I have a question. What sound differences did you hear with balancing the HD 650? I am just wondering how the combination of the DACMAGIC and LD MK VIII would hold up. I am assuming the DACMAGIC is good enough of a DAC to feed a pretty good source as I have had no problems using it with the KICAS and the sound is pretty good. Have never tried balanced so don't even know what to expect except I keep hearing it makes the HD 650 come alive what ever that means, LOL.

I can only speak for the gear I've used with the HD650 balanced -- HRDB and MKVII+.

The sound difference is dramatic. The HD650 sounds like a completely different can when balanced. I've used this description in another discussion before, and it still fits: Switching between the 650 SE and balanced is like having your sinuses clear up. In comparison, the SE sounds stuffy and congested.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David's communication (and LD's response to customers) is probably the best in the business. Quick response, professional, courteous, intelligent, fair. His word is good. He keeps you posted on every phase of the order. Once ordered, as Eagle Eye says, you'll get it in about 4 days.

Disclaimer: My only association with LD and David is as a customer.

There are a lot of Western companies that could learn a lot about customer service from LD.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 19
Hehe, very tempted to whack the mk vii+ myself..
but the thought of me itchy to whack a balanced tube amp made my sight shifted towards the mk vi+..
we(read: I) need more balanced amp with k701 inputs
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot of Western companies that could learn a lot about customer service from LD.

There are also a lot of Western companies, which could teach them a lot about customer service! Especially about marketing and international standards for technical descriptions.
popcorn.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are also a lot of Western companies, which could teach them a lot about customer service! Especially about marketing and international standards for technical descriptions.
popcorn.gif

Your hatred of LD is burning you up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back