Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Nov 16, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 2,724
Reiser, do you have a good source for tubes? I looked up the VT-229 you mentioned on eBay.. the cheapest pair on there is $190...... I'll keep looking at alternatives I suppose.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #17 of 2,724
Thank you for the great link to that tube comparison thread...

I read in Glitche's posting on another thread that he liked the RCA black plate 6AS7G’s (power) and Raytheon VT-231 (driver) combination with the Mk VI.

I was wondering about how tubes can be substituted. Eg instead of the Raytheon VT 231 can I use the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT 'Round Plate' instead?

I am basing on the fact that they were both on the 6SN7 thread and so are similar? Is this true that you can substitute them as they are similar?

Thanks!

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #18 of 2,724
Shuguang  6SN7 don't seem to work, only hum and they don't entirely fit into the socket due to their base size. I dremel'd the golden rings to make room so that they fit, didn't fix the problem though. Some wasted money there..

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #19 of 2,724

Hello Guys , I would like to join the club, even after having to send my brand new MKVI back to China for repairs. It is an amazing amp and it is worth the hassle and wait. Will post again when I get it back.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 2,724
The package was perfect as the amp , so I do not think it was the shipping , but When I powered it the meters were on 40 volt instead of 60 and there was no sound coming out of the XLR or Single ended outputs. Tried new tubes, power cords , 3 CD players, checked the fuse, gain switches and nothing happened , so Davis said to ship it back for repair.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #22 of 2,724
That's pretty strange. The only time I've seen my meters not at 60 was when I first installed the new power tubes. It was slightly low until it automatically biased up to 60.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #24 of 2,724
When I installed new power tubes one pair was at around 90, I left it playing for about 3 hours and it automatically biased down to 60 on both pairs. Really unfortunate that you need to send yours back to China, but it's well worth the wait.

Quote:
AThat's pretty strange. The only time I've seen my meters not at 60 was when I first installed the new power tubes. It was slightly low until it automatically biased up to 60.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #25 of 2,724
I just received my dampers for the 6AS7G power tubes and the microphonics are now entirely gone. The lower end also tightened up, really recommending some dampers for these since they tend to be a bit microphonic.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #26 of 2,724
Thank for your advice on the differences between the VI+ and VIII SE and on tube rolling advice.  I'm keen to buy a VI+ after having a LD II++.  The LD II++ after I tubed rolled some Mullards in, it was excellent, however I sold it because it just did not have the outright power to drive my HD650s they way I wanted them and that it was not balanced.  As far as I am concerned this balanced amp is a bargain.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #27 of 2,724
As the LD VI can drive the K1000s and Ortho's just fine, you'll have more than enough power for your HD650s.

Quote:
Thank for your advice on the differences between the VI+ and VIII SE and on tube rolling advice.  I'm keen to buy a VI+ after having a LD II++.  The LD II++ after I tubed rolled some Mullards in, it was excellent, however I sold it because it just did not have the outright power to drive my HD650s they way I wanted them and that it was not balanced.  As far as I am concerned this balanced amp is a bargain.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 2,724

I just received my dampers for the 6AS7G power tubes and the microphonics are now entirely gone. The lower end also tightened up, really recommending some dampers for these since they tend to be a bit microphonic.

Which Dampeners did you get, would you mind sending me the link.

Thanks

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #30 of 2,724
Just got in a matched quad of RCA 6AS7G black plates and to my luck they're bad, huming like crazy even after deoxiting the pins. My grey plates are working and are dead silent. On the bright side, I've manged to score a quad of Tung-Sol 5998 which are identical to the overpriced WE421A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back