Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Feb 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,516 of 2,724
  They put supreme silver gold oil 1000VDC in. Be careful though, apparently the circuit board is a real bitch to take out. I didnt plan on changing the caps for a year or two, but I sent the amp back to get a small issue looked at & asked for the upgrade while it was there.

Poladise,

how many mundorfs did they install?
i have the newer board with 4 blue caps and I was planning to leave those alone and just change the two caps in front of them.  But i have seen some picture where all 6 caps were upgraded with mundorf silver gold oil.  Did you get all 6 caps upgraded?

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,517 of 2,724
correction on my question.
i meant to say 8caps instead of 6caps.  there are two caps in front of the blue ones on both sides on my board. 
I am leaning toward changing out all caps at once since it is not easy to take the board out.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,521 of 2,724
Hi. Sorry to veer off topic from your discussion on those awesome cap upgrades but I have a question to ask
bigsmile_face.gif

I listen to a mix of EDM/acoustic/vocal music usually all in one song and since high end hybrid amps seem to not exist I am wondering if this amp will do well with such a combination of music. I have never owned or heard a tube amp before and I am told they do not handle fast music well.
Have any of you tried this amp with electronic/dance music?
My main objective with this amp is to give soul to my hd800s with female vocals/EDM music.

Appreciate any help.
beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #1,522 of 2,724
  Wow!  Thank you so much for answer.  "Picture is worth a thousand words".

I am wondering if changing those blue ones would make any difference.  

The blue caps are for the power tubes and they are not in the signal path. The LD VI+ does not use caps at the output and it is OCL (output capacitor-less) circuit topology. If you look closely at the blue caps it is two caps in one in a blue shrink warp in parallel electrical connection. It is the other caps that was upgraded that is from the driver tubes and the audio signal does pass thru those new caps.   Those new caps blocks the DC from the driver tubes and allows the audio signal to pass to the power tubes.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,523 of 2,724
  The blue caps are for the power tubes and they are not in the signal path. The LD VI+ does not use caps at the output and it is OCL (output capacitor-less) circuit topology. If you look closely at the blue caps it is two caps in one in a blue shrink warp in parallel electrical connection. It is the other caps that was upgraded that is from the driver tubes and the audio signal does pass thru those new caps.   Those new caps blocks the DC from the driver tubes and allows the audio signal to pass to the power tubes.

John57,

Thank you so much for the clarification.  I can now focus on just getting four caps upgraded.

Can someone recommend a good place to buy Mundorf silver/gold/oil caps?  I've seen them on ebay but not sure if I should buy them from ebay.  I was looking for some more reputable sellers.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,524 of 2,724
  Hi. Sorry to veer off topic from your discussion on those awesome cap upgrades but I have a question to ask
bigsmile_face.gif

I listen to a mix of EDM/acoustic/vocal music usually all in one song and since high end hybrid amps seem to not exist I am wondering if this amp will do well with such a combination of music. I have never owned or heard a tube amp before and I am told they do not handle fast music well.
My main objective with this amp is to give soul to my hd800s with female vocals/EDM music.

Appreciate any help.
beerchug.gif

This amp does not lack in speed at all, not like old style tube amps from the 1950's. I like all the same music genres as you and use it for EDM too, for example Hotel Costes and suffice it to say it sounds pretty awesome to me. The only thing might be the bass punch which is not quite the same as SS amps but you gain in overall tone which really shows in vocals especially female which have a really fantastic lifelike sound to them. This is the strength of tube amps. I really think that this amp would do well with HD800's as it is but you could further improve the sound by changing the tubes to tame the treble a tad if you wanted, this would be simple to do. Maybe HD800 owners on this thread would agree with me?

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,525 of 2,724
bigsmile_face.gif

Appreciate any help.
beerchug.gif

John tell to this guy why LD MK VI+ is a thousand time a better choice than WA22 of woo audio, i told him that get buy a LD MK VI+ instead the WA22, so you might tell better why MK VI+ is better than WA22. By the way i told him that buy MK VI+ with upgraded cables, mundorf capacitors, etc etc ...

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,526 of 2,724
  John tell to this guy why LD MK VI+ is a thousand time a better choice than WA22 of woo audio, i told him that get buy a LD MK VI+ instead the WA22, so you might tell better why MK VI+ is better than WA22. By the way i told him that buy MK VI+ with upgraded cables, mundorf capacitors, etc etc ...

Yes
tongue_smile.gif
Tell me!
Also just fyi, I contacted David from Little Amps and he said the difference between stock caps and Mundorf supreme gold/silver/oil caps are barely noticeable. He also said that it's "easy" to install upgrade caps if I decide to buy some. Not that I know anything about installing capacitors into amplifiers. If all that is true I will probably save the upgrades for later except maybe the cable upgrades. Still looking into that.

Edit: I've just been told by **** quote
"Forget about that amp, it's quite good for the money assuming you don't get a lemon - which is a rick with Little Dot stuff. Same deal with DarkVoice/La Figaro as well. Get a good one though, and it sounds very nice indeed."
confused_face_2.gif
  Lemons make me sad

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,527 of 2,724

Yes
tongue_smile.gif
Tell me!
Also just fyi, I contacted David from Little Amps and he said the difference between stock caps and Mundorf supreme gold/silver/oil caps are barely noticeable. He also said that it's "easy" to install upgrade caps if I decide to buy some. Not that I know anything about installing capacitors into amplifiers. If all that is true I will probably save the upgrades for later except maybe the cable upgrades. Still looking into that.

Edit: I've just been told by **** quote
"Forget about that amp, it's quite good for the money assuming you don't get a lemon - which is a rick with Little Dot stuff. Same deal with DarkVoice/La Figaro as well. Get a good one though, and it sounds very nice indeed."
confused_face_2.gif
  Lemons make me sad

i would want know who told to you dat?

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,528 of 2,724
Project86 told me. He's been helping me find the right DAC for my system.
He also said quote
"Just bad QA process, where they ship out a finished product that never should have been released from the factory. From little flaws in the finish that you'd never see on a Schiit, Violectric, etc amp, to major problems in functionality, to complete failures. This is not something you can predict though..... just buy from someone you trust who allows returns or supports the sale once it ships, just in case".

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,529 of 2,724
He also said quote
"Just bad QA process, where they ship out a finished product that never should have been released from the factory. From little flaws in the finish that you'd never see on a Schiit, Violectric, etc amp, to major problems in functionality, to complete failures. This is not something you can predict though..... just buy from someone you trust who allows returns or supports the sale once it ships, just in case".

Well maybe i can give you opinion, when i get the DNA Stratus, he recommended me dat amp, by the way he is a more solid state guy.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #1,530 of 2,724
He also said quote

The only thing that Project86 publicly stated here on Head-Fi Is this statement that I can find at this moment:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/615218/review-yulong-sabre-a18-reference-headphone-amp/75#post_9562559

Users who are viewing this thread

Back