Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jun 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #661 of 2,724
Quote:
Look's like a contender against the WA3 and some of the mid level DV/La Figarro range. Would be interested on what the enclosure would look like, hopefully David uses some decent sized enclosure with plenty of ventilation and no opt for fans like the MK VI+.

He used the old Mk 4SE enclosure, of course the top will be drilled with 3 big holes instead of 4 small hole 
tongue_smile.gif

The Chinese does make some fascinating stuff. There's also a transformer coupled amp (not little dot) with 1 6sn7 + 1 6BQ5/ 2.5W @ 32 and 300Z, with its own outboard PSU, the demo rig is shown with the Simaudio Eclipse CDP

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #662 of 2,724
Doesn't sound promising with the MK 4SE enclosure. I just had a look on erji, looks like a good candidate for tube rolling but judging from the schematics the amp looks very similar to another amp kit while back on ebay from a Ukranian seller. Given the potential of the LD amp's, I would love to see him go p2p design, which runs cooler, easy to mod/measure/troubleshoot, neater as well and importantly sounds better.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #663 of 2,724
Not crazy with the MK 4SE enclosure unless he adds more ventilation on top otherwise it is a oven. The LD MKVI+ has holes around the tube sockets for some of the hot air to escape. Even with the Schiit Lyr I am trying has ventilation on top as well on both sides and still gets warm.  The issue with the P2P design is the DC servo circuit has to be added. Otherwise large output coupling caps will be needed at the output and will be a very tight squeeze in the MK 4SE enclosure. P2P does not always improve the sound and depends on the circuit design you are using.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #664 of 2,724
Well in most cases for OTL or SE tubes p2p is massive benefit and keeps things well ventilated not to mention very good with ease for troubleshooting should something stuff up. Using a PCB is fine but it also leaves hot spots in the amplifier itself if used in a small enclosure, this is what I was referring to with p2p in my previous post as with the VI + amp I have. But given at the price LD amp's are at, there is almost always a sacriface somewhere to prevent high prices. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #665 of 2,724
Tomorrow I plan (not feeling the best though) to go to a local audio store and compare some headphones (want to try out LCD-2 again) which will help me determine what kind of future headphone purchases I could make which would of course have a big impact on what kind of headphone amp to purchase. Unfortunately they don't stock any Little Dot products, but not to worry. If I really like the LCD-2 or some other low impedance cans, MKVI+ for sure over the MKVIII SE (there may be other amps I could look at as well, but there aren't many balanced tube amps for under $1000). Also, if I decide on the MKVI+, are there any worthwhile upgrades such as upgraded coupling caps or silver wire as mentioned here that I should ask for to be applied to the amp while it's being made?  

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #666 of 2,724
Quote:
Tomorrow I plan (not feeling the best though) to go to a local audio store and compare some headphones (want to try out LCD-2 again) which will help me determine what kind of future headphone purchases I could make which would of course have a big impact on what kind of headphone amp to purchase. Unfortunately they don't stock any Little Dot products, but not to worry. If I really like the LCD-2 or some other low impedance cans, MKVI+ for sure over the MKVIII SE (there may be other amps I could look at as well, but there aren't many balanced tube amps for under $1000). Also, if I decide on the MKVI+, are there any worthwhile upgrades such as upgraded coupling caps or silver wire as mentioned here that I should ask for to be applied to the amp while it's being made?  

Hey we are both from Melbourne too 
size]

Coupling caps and silver wiring is the given upgrades for the amp. I modded mine myself along with other upgrades, you should head over to Addicted to Audio in Kew and ask George to audition the LCD2's/HD800's (or any other headphones of your interest) on the WA22 amp. To me and some here who have owned both or heard them, the MK VI+ is a step higher over the WA22. Trust me the VI+ is a killer, John will agree with me on this one, the amp may be cheap but once you start tube rolling, the $$$ will be going out easily.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #667 of 2,724
Quote:
Hey we are both from Melbourne too 
size]

Coupling caps and silver wiring is the given upgrades for the amp. I modded mine myself along with other upgrades, you should head over to Addicted to Audio in Kew and ask George to audition the LCD2's/HD800's (or any other headphones of your interest) on the WA22 amp. To me and some here who have owned both or heard them, the MK VI+ is a step higher over the WA22. Trust me the VI+ is a killer, John will agree with me on this one, the amp may be cheap but once you start tube rolling, the $$$ will be going out easily.

That's actually where I'm heading to tomorrow (hopefully) 
size]
 I emailed George and he said I can compare the T1 and LCD-2 (the two I requested) and bring in my own DT880 to compare and also use my own laptop with my music on it. If they WA22 is out on display I will surely try and give it a go and I suppose that will give me some kind of reference of what quality sound to expect from the MKVI+. I'm assuming almost all of the headphones are single ended, so not a 100% accurate test, but close enough. Hopefully the store isn't too busy so that I can sit down for a little while and properly compare some gear. And yes, I realise tubes can get quite expensive 
size]
 I'm very good at saving and buying little things all the time though 
size]
 (as in up to $200 items, I'm terrible at saving much more than $500, I always end up spending it), so I know I will definitely have a few tubes by the end of the year if I end up going with a tube amp. I'm grateful my MAD Ear+ HD came with a number of tubes for me to play with. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #668 of 2,724
George will be able to assist with providing some of the ALO (last time I went) balanced cables if he gives the go with you listening through the WA22 for the LCD2's but not sure about the T1's unless he has an adaptor for 6.3mm to 4 pin xlr or so. Remember running a balanced headphone out of a balanced amp doesn't mean you are running it balanced, your source/dac has provide the balanced input and then via balanced out to the headphones. But yeah have fun, I know I do when I do end up going there.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #669 of 2,724
Quote:
George will be able to assist with providing some of the ALO (last time I went) balanced cables if he gives the go with you listening through the WA22 for the LCD2's but not sure about the T1's unless he has an adaptor for 6.3mm to 4 pin xlr or so. Remember running a balanced headphone out of a balanced amp doesn't mean you are running it balanced, your source/dac has provide the balanced input and then via balanced out to the headphones. But yeah have fun, I know I do when I do end up going there.

I actually have a balanced DAC on the way to me (Buffalo II). But yeah, in store, if I am allowed to try out balanced, I will make sure to connect the amp to a balanced DAC.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #670 of 2,724
[size=11pt]The WA22 does have SE headphone output which has the same power output as the balanced outs. You could get better sound from balanced headphones because of the better quality of cable but not power-wise from the WA22. The WA22 requires a balanced source in order to reach full power for the outputs. There has been a long discussion on the Woo forum about the WA22 balanced topology. The LD MK6+ on the other hand does have stronger balanced outs.  I wanted to apology if this information is already known to some.[/size]

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #671 of 2,724
What tubes you rocking in your VI+ now John?

Also to add on my experience with the WA22 I did not sense any sound improvements changing from SE to Balanced out via balanced DAC.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #672 of 2,724
Still using the Bendix graphite tubes and I switch over from the NU 6SL7GT to the heavy gettered Sylvania/Philco 7F7 tube which are more quiet and have better detail and of course with adapters. I brought a whole box cheap with NOS 7N7,7AF7 and the 7F7 tubes. I also have good luck with the 6C8G tubes and they are easier to match than the 6F8G tubes. I tend to look for good value in tubes without comprising sound quality.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #674 of 2,724
Finally got my Mk6+ sorted out ,one of the power tubes had cracked so I've had to wait for a replacement to come from China,now that I can use the amp properly I wondered if any body could give some advice on where to start with tube rolling on a very limited budget,is it best to start with the driver tubes or power tubes,is matching necessary,what are the drop in replacements for both ? Don't really want to get into adapters or other adjustments just yet.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back