Little Dot LD II+ Review and comparison to LD II
Sep 21, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #121 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by m8o
That must be the LD II ... the LD II+ w/the Mullard drivers don't do that sadly...
frown.gif

yup thats right. oh i didnt know the LDII+ doesnt have the blue!

some of my friends find it cheesy, but i think its a nice touch, especially when i'm alone in the room at night, with the airconditioning on full blast, in total darkness except for that warm blue glow. ah...

Sep 21, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #122 of 426
The II+ does have a nice orange glow once everything gets heated up.

Sep 22, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #123 of 426
I just ordered a Little Dot II+ from davidzhezhe on Ebay. The total was $185, which includes shipping and insurance. I have two amps. I use a Total BitHead at work and have a Corda ARIA connected to my computer at home. The DAC feature is nice. But I needed another amp for my bedroom to connect to my CD Player and I wanted one with tubes. I was considering a HeadRoom Millet Hybrid, but the price ($649 stock) was holding me back. Also, a number of reviews indicated that the amp, to really perform and regardless of the module, required a DPS (another $400). The reviews/impressions for the LD II+ have been very positive and the tubes, if I want to replace them, are cheap ($3-$5). For under $200, the LD II+ seems like a good entry level tube amp. Very much looking forward to it. Should arrive in about 2 weeks.

Also, since I had budgeted a lot more for an amp, I am considering using the remainder to buy an AKG 701 possibly with a Black Dragon Cable from Moon Audio. I have to think about that while listening to my new amp.

Any thoughts there?

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #124 of 426
Hey guys, I recieved replacement power tubes, and now the problem seems to have gone away..YAY!!
lambda.gif

Now when I turn it on, there is only a slight pop on both channels, barely perceptable.
cool.gif

And look, a little gift from the little tube team!!!
tongue.gif

Little%20Dots.jpg

Sep 23, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #125 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Hey guys, I recieved replacement power tubes, and now the problem seems to have gone away..YAY!!
lambda.gif

Now when I turn it on, there is only a slight pop on both channels, barely perceptable.
cool.gif

And look, a little gift from the little tube team!!!
tongue.gif

That's a relief! And what I call some serious customer service.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #126 of 426
I know!
The new power tubes are the same type, but the new pair seems microphonic? which should be a good thing since the last pair were not at all. Are the power tubes on yours microphonic or only the driver tubes? Besides that I hear a major extension on the highs now, and much clearer too. Didnt realize the power tubes made that much of a diffrence..

Sep 25, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #127 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
I know!
The new power tubes are the same type, but the new pair seems microphonic? which should be a good thing since the last pair were not at all. Are the power tubes on yours microphonic or only the driver tubes? Besides that I hear a major extension on the highs now, and much clearer too. Didnt realize the power tubes made that much of a diffrence..

I 'think' it is only when I 1st turn it on. But what do I know? I might be real happy with those stupid expensive tube dampener [dampers?] on them. I am not sure which, but I 'think' it's the Mullard Drive tubes. The driver tube used on the LD II was super microphinc I understand. The LD II+ is said to be only a tad microphonic, so that's why I'm saying that (as the same power tube is still used between the two)

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #128 of 426
well i have ordered the LD2+ last friday, and i'm getting more anxious by the day, and to my knowledge it hasn't even been shipped yet! (the suspense is killing me!)
tongue.gif
i'm expecting an email from David telling me that it has been shipped.

wow, with all this talk about the lightning arcs and popping, i gotta play it real safe...when i get it, what's the first thing needed to be done? (maybe aside from burn-in)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang
We have recently acquired a much higher quality tube tester so all tubes that go out henceforth will have been tested very thoroughly. We are also slightly revising the design to include a transient voltage supressor so that no harm can come to the headphones.

if this involves my recent order, should i have any worries?

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #129 of 426
Camille I have had the ld2+ for almost a month now and I have not seen or heard any arcing or poping. My tubes have what I remember from years ago when I had tubes a nice orange light. It seems to be perfect in operation. I have not experienced any of the problems related here. I do leave the headset plugged in because you are not suppost to have tubes on without a load present. So when I turn it on there is a load there and I hear no popping. I hope you are as lucky as I have been with it.
600smile.gif
tongue.gif
Mine arrived before I even got the tracking number.

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #130 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by m8o
Is that the LD II ... the LD II+ w/the Mullard drivers don't do that sadly...
frown.gif
...or perhaps Little Tube was out of blue LEDs they day they made my amp. [?!?]
smily_headphones1.gif
My Butler hybrid amp uses blue LEDs. I wonder if the LD II does or it's the actual tube making that. Perhaps you know?

I was hoping the LD II+ would have the blue LEDs... can anyone with the LD II+ comment on that?

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #131 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy
I was hoping the LD II+ would have the blue LEDs... can anyone with the LD II+ comment on that?

It does NOT have blue LEDs below the tubes. The tubes glow slightly orange from normal operation but that's it.

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #133 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
No LEDs below the tubes, thank goodness, but for the power LED it still has the Blue Laser of Doom.
plainface.gif

Seriously! it so bright. Same ultrabright led on the ldm+, which I use as a flashlight!

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #134 of 426
for a while I had some tape over the LED to keep it from being so bright, however now with the angle its at it dosent blind me. However, I would love it if I could put a orange LED in there, with about 1/10 of the brightness.
-greg

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #135 of 426
...I guess you all need to get a LD III+ then.
wink.gif
one plain green LED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back