Little Dot LD II+ Review and comparison to LD II
Sep 9, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #61 of 426
Ok here's my 2 cents. I got mine this last week and I just love the little sucker. Using my Sennheiser 650 headset and it sounds like my B&W cm1 speakers. I am more than suprised and pleased at the sound. I think the designer has done a wonderful job and it is worth every cent. My wife loves it and my daughter's reaction was wow. The best part is it didn't cost an arm and a leg.
600smile.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #62 of 426
Agreed. The Sennheiser 650 sounds awesome with this amp. Nice combo. Sounds damn good. Many people have commented that the HD 650 loves tube amps. The great thing about it is that it is amazingly affordable. For just a few hundred dollars you have an impressive serious butt kicking audio headphone system that can impress a lot of your friends.

I highly recommend this particular combo to anyone. Add one to the guest room or office for a touch of audio luxury. And especially to those who are new to high end headphones and want a great rig without investing a lot of money. They will be impressed especially for the value too.

EDIT: I would like add that I only paid $225 for the Sennheiser 650 too (used, mint) adding more value to this Little Dot 2 rig. :-D

Sep 11, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #63 of 426
Do you guys turn on the amp with phones plugged in? Every time I do, i see the left power tube flash blue and a loud pop on the left side of my cans. I thought it was nothing at first, but then I chained my airhead to the headphone out (What was I doing
confused.gif
) and turned on the ld2+, it KILLED the left channel on my total airhead !!!
eek.gif
!!! I dont know if it is normal for phones to be plugged in when turning an amp on, even when I have the volumes all the way down... Sigh the poor airhead isnt even burned in yet.. now its Literally Burned in... forever.. warranty repair time..
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #64 of 426
Hello ladies, i'm back
rs1smile.gif

Been away from head-fi for a number of months, and was coming back trying to consider if a ppx-slam was worth buying. But being a student i am not willing to spend over £500 on an amp.... Well yet anyway
biggrin.gif

Im considering a little dot 2+ to go with my HF-1s and modified marantx cd-63, but was wondering if they will match up well. At the moment im using the headphone output from my Arcam integrated amp........ will there be a big difference between that and the little dot 2+ ??

thanks

Sep 11, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #65 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Do you guys turn on the amp with phones plugged in? Every time I do, i see the left power tube flash blue and a loud pop on the left side of my cans. I thought it was nothing at first, but then I chained my airhead to the headphone out (What was I doing
confused.gif
) and turned on the ld2+, it KILLED the left channel on my total airhead !!!
eek.gif
!!! I dont know if it is normal for phones to be plugged in when turning an amp on, even when I have the volumes all the way down... Sigh the poor airhead isnt even burned in yet.. now its Literally Burned in... forever.. warranty repair time..
frown.gif

I usually leave my DT770's plugged in when I turn it on or off, but when I have it hooked up to my amp I always have my amp off first. I have heard a pop from my headphones when it first turns on, but I don't recall ever seeing a flash from any of the tubes, they just slowly begin to glow after 4 or 5 seconds.

Sep 12, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #67 of 426
wow strange.. i must be the unfortunate one to sample the strong inconsistencies of small scale handbuilt stuff. Good thing that headroom was extrememly understanding and sent replacement out and will be shipped within one day.. Im gonna email davidzhezhe about this issue and ill post what he has to say about it..

Sep 12, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #68 of 426
Quote:

wow strange.. i must be the unfortunate one to sample the strong inconsistencies of small scale handbuilt stuff. Good thing that headroom was extrememly understanding and sent replacement out and will be shipped within one day.. Im gonna email davidzhezhe about this issue and ill post what he has to say about it..

Deff dont use the amp till you get if figgured out. Prob a tube problem.

Sep 12, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #69 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni

Im considering a little dot 2+ to go with my HF-1s and modified marantx cd-63, but was wondering if they will match up well. At the moment im using the headphone output from my Arcam integrated amp........ will there be a big difference between that and the little dot 2+ ??

thanks

The synergy between the HF-1 and LD2+ is excellent. I'm listening as i'm typing this reply. I prefer this setup to the HD650 and LD2+. For some reason, the soundstaging on the HF-1 is better. The HD650 sounds a little mushy with the LD2+. Overall, the HF-1 sounds smoother, a little more bass and with an expanded soundstage.

Sep 12, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #70 of 426
received my LD2+ about 2 weeks ago....
recognized an immediate upgrade in SOUND
was using HP jack from a Panasonic CD player (compact system)
the Tubes sounded better at 1st
now after about 25hrs Burn-In SQ has really Improved
i use the system solely for DVD movie/concert playback

Quote:

Do you guys turn on the amp with phones plugged in? Every time I do, i see the left power tube flash blue and a loud pop on the left side of my cans.

NO Flashes here....
(suggest U Flip/Flop the tubes and see in Flash goes with it)
i leave my cans plugged in....
BUT i always Turn-Down the volume B4 switching ON/OFF the Amp

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #71 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
The synergy between the HF-1 and LD2+ is excellent. I'm listening as i'm typing this reply. I prefer this setup to the HD650 and LD2+. For some reason, the soundstaging on the HF-1 is better. The HD650 sounds a little mushy with the LD2+. Overall, the HF-1 sounds smoother, a little more bass and with an expanded soundstage.

Well that's just bloody great
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
Now im gonna have to get one
biggrin.gif

I was speaking to david last night via email and he was very quick and helpful answerign all questions. Plus he realised that shipping to europe was $45 not $50. You all owe me europeans
biggrin.gif

excuse my speiing, ive been 'ont lash' tonight so i cant type or see very well. xxx

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #72 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni
Well that's just bloody great
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
Now im gonna have to get one
biggrin.gif

I was speaking to david last night via email and he was very quick and helpful answerign all questions. Plus he realised that shipping to europe was $45 not $50. You all owe me europeans
biggrin.gif

excuse my speiing, ive been 'ont lash' tonight so i cant type or see very well. xxx

Awesome! Looking forward to your impressions too.

Sep 13, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #73 of 426
I might have to wait a few weeks to get one, as i need to go to see the doctor about my hearing, as one ear is still painful, and feels/sounds blocked. So before spending money on more stuff i wana check my hearing isn't damaged.

On the upside, i had an audiogram, and my hearing is apparently perfect, and i can hear up to 20khz. But still my right is is partially blocked even after medication. Silly body
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #74 of 426
Read an earlier post about left chanel poping. I use my ld2+ at work and love it. The headphones I use at the office are Senn 590's. Anyhow, remove my jack from the amp at end of day and dont plug it in until I power up because I got the left chanel pop that killed my Senn's. They are in for repair.

Another thing. there are two jumpers on the front of the board, 1 left 1 right. Manual in chinese translated says to remove jumpers for low impedance headphones and leave them on for high impeance headphones. Jumpered is default.

TW

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #75 of 426
OMG Its a virus!!!!
That blue arc of lightning is spreading!! I swapped the bad tube to the other channel, hoping to see the arc go with it, but it seems the unit is the problem (oh noes.. ship back to china??ARRGG). Now when I turn it on while having cans plugged in (the sacrificial ksc75s), even at low volume i see the lightning arc on BOTH tubes now and a GIANT ARC between the two KSC75 sides!!! if that thing was on my head the almost 8 inch arc of lightning woulda hit me pretty bad
mad.gif

Well Im still hoping its a tube problem as david already shipped replacement tube, but if it doesnt fix the problem ill have to ship this thing back to china for like 20 days of ampless home listening
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I think ill use my dads digicam movie mode to record you all some Lightning-fi action
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back