Little Dot LD II+ Review and comparison to LD II
Aug 22, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #47 of 426
What company brings these amps. Its about time for mine to be here and I dont know weather to worry about it at the house or the postoffice. I dont have a mailbox at the house and that is the address he asked for, im just hoping it dosent come with USPS.
-greg

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #48 of 426
ooo sorry to tell you then, mine came express mail usps, though it may be different for the east coast.

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #49 of 426
well now, I guess that I'l go ask about it at the post office tom. I have gotton things like this before, where it messes up and i haev to ask about it. I expect that it will be there tom tho, with it being 6 days since shipping... Cant wait.
tongue.gif

PS-thanks

Aug 22, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #51 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
Where can I buy the Little Dot II+ for a decent price (I am in the UK?

I apologise if this question was answered elsewhere.

as far as i know there is only one place to get them, from the manufacure *sp. Email David at: little.tube@gmail.com to see about pricing.

Aug 23, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #52 of 426
The first thing that struck me at first is thesize of this thing, its TINY. I was expecting alot bigger amp, this, in a way, is a plesent suprise. I was also struck by the tinness of the front tubes, about the size of my index finger.But on the the part that matters...

Well I have only been listining to my LD for about 30 min, however the most apparent diffrence is the sound stage, its an AMAZING diffrence in comparison to my Pa2v2. The bass is also deeper, if not alittle more impactful. One thing that is also a BIG step up is the depth of the mid range, it really makes voices sound nice.

Obvisly more to come, but thats all for now.
-greg

More observations:
I dont know if anyone listens to The Used, but on In Love and Death there is alot of background music, with peole talking and other stuff goin on, expecially in Light With a Sharpened Edge, all of this is coming to life like never before, this is my first venture into mid fi" if you want to call it that, and its really impressive.

Aug 23, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #53 of 426
Negatron stated that since this thing is high impedence and that the cables make a lot of difference, how about we share some opinions on the cable/amp/headphone combos eh? I am looking for a cable upgrade anyway suggestions would be helpful!
580smile.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #54 of 426
I've been eyeballing this amp to go with some Grado 325's. It will have to wait a few weeks as I just got the 325's in last night. I'm running them off a Mcoy amp and through a cheap ss receiver right now.

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #55 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
Where can I buy the Little Dot II+ for a decent price (I am in the UK?

I apologise if this question was answered elsewhere.

TO chrisco: find one on ebay.de. Get it and put one review.
600smile.gif

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #56 of 426
I just tested this Little Dot 2+ again for DVD viewing and it works very well.
I put on a Diana Krall Live in Paris DVD and listening with an AKG K701 headphone was nice. I'm using the Philips DVD player 642 model which is a good player and cheap. I find it pretty cool watching a DVD with a vacuum tube amp. Kinda retro chic or cool with the modern DVD combo.

Hopefully soon, I'll test it with a DAC like the micro dac to see if the sound improves even further.

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #57 of 426
How well does anyone think the LDII+ would pair with the Sennheiser HD590's? They are already slightly bright phones so I'm wondering if this would work out or not. Also, they're already extremely easy to drive so would that be an issue with using this amp at all?

Aug 25, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #58 of 426
I use my A250s with the LD2+, which is also a pretty bright can, the LD2+ still smooths off the highs and adds a nice warmth all over the spectrum. The A250s are a 60ohm, so im not sure how low the Senns are, but there is no prob with drivign them on the LD.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #59 of 426
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron
I bought one of these on a whim - it looked neat and was primarily somthing that NOBODY is mentioning. The LD2 is a Directly Heated Triode amp for less money than a pair of 2A3's. DHT's have a magic that can't be measured. Not big on power usually but Sweet doesn't come close to describing them.

Negatron, if I may ask, (and I hope you read this) how can you tell/know? The Mullard driver tubes are definitely in-direct heated Pentodes (perhaps at least running in Triode mode?), and I can't for the life of me find any information on the power tube 4P1S or the direct replacement 4N1N; but then again I hardly know where to look, so...
wink.gif

Anyway, it -would- be kewl if it's a DHT amp. I'm just wondering how you know.

P.S. I have a LDII+ I use @ work, and am trying to figure out what to buy for home. Perhaps LDIII+ ; loads of tube options but few DHT options.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #60 of 426
I just got my LD2+ last week, matched up with the k701 - it sounds great, significant improvment over the pa2v2 i was using. But as others have said, it does get veerrryy hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back