Little Dot II++
Dec 3, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #196 of 307
A player may down-mix from SACD to stereo but you will still be relying on the standard stereo output stages which I found not to sound that good on the two DVD/SACD players I owned (thats why I dont have them now). The SACD running through an AV amp was not to my tastes although I can appreciate others enjoying.
In fact I have never been impressed with stereo sound (music cd's) from a DVD player unless used with an external DAC, but I admit the players I had were not high end.
Glad to hear your hum has now gone
600smile.gif
, do you think it may have been caused by that adaptor you had inline?

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #197 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A player may down-mix from SACD to sterio but you will still be relying on the standard sterio output stages which I found not to sound that good on the two DVD/SACD players I owned (thats why I dont have them now). The SACD running through an AV amp was not to my tastes although I can appreciate others enjoying.
In fact I have never been impressed with sterio sound (music cd's) from a DVD player unless used with an external DAC, but I admit the players I had were not high end.
Glad to hear your hum has now gone
600smile.gif
, do you think it may have been caused by that adaptor you had inline?

Part of it was surely caused by that (the inline voltage converter). The hum was still evident after removing the adapter yesterday, just not as bad. It was hardly an objective experiment though, I'm just so sure i heard it. Mabe its that thing 'Jirams' said

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #198 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by apologies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just switched on the LD2++ on today there i no hum on start up. Which is nice, although im starting to question my sanity, as i swear there was hum yesterday. I might be wrong but, I thought with SACD it downmixed to stereo but kept the higher than cd resolution, unless thats not what you meant by 'not an option'.

Sometimes you can get this from the mains. I had a transformer about 8 feet from one wall were my stereo was. It was set on cement because the lines were underground. It was noisy and it caused noise on the line - hum. So I contacted the electric company and told them that it was loud and I could hear it inside the house and I didn't want to hear it. They came out listened and agreed and changed out this large transformer. i got a kick out of it because this was a major operation, the one there they admitted was a transformer that had been reworked and three, the hum went away and my system sounded much better. Sometimes someone can have a piece of equipment on and it will feed through the line and cause hum on your equipment. I built a large line purifier with a special toroid transformer and when the line was junky it would hum but my equipment was fine. You never know what is riding on that AC signal.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #199 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You never know what is riding on that AC signal.

Going way off topic here..but yes totally agree, found this most evident when using ham radio (blame my curiosity) in the past..

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #200 of 307
I just found out that there is 2 jumper in the LD2++ label CN1/CN2 toward the front of the amp.

After some search I found this tread on little-tube.com

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...p?TID=30&TPN=3

It seem that for the LD2+ Jumper On is high impedance headphones mode and Off is low impedance headphones mode.

I just ask on their forums if it's the same for ld2++; it would seem logical since they are label CN1 and CN2

To open the LD2++ you need to unscrew the 2 lower screw on the front plate and the 2 lower screw on the back plate. Then remove the bottom section. The screw underneath are just to hold the rubber feet.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #201 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This part : "This can be a function of Cathode/Heater isolation in Valves (Tubes)."

A Valve (Tube) heater (filament) is supplied with alternating current and by thermal conduction this heats up the cathode which emits electrons which are attracted to the anode and are controlled by the grid. If the electrical insulation between the heater and cathode is not high then some alternating potential can get onto the cathode and modulate the electron beam with altenating current leading to audio hum - a crude but hopefully effective explanation ?

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #202 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Valve (Tube) heater (filament) is supplied with alternating current and by thermal conduction this heats up the cathode which emits electrons which are attracted to the anode and are controlled by the grid. If the electrical insulation between the heater and cathode is not high then some alternating potential can get onto the cathode and modulate the electron beam with altenating current leading to audio hum - a crude but hopefully effective explanation ?

So the little Dot have AC on the filament and are not recitified? I have found that AC on the filament gives a more dynamic sound and better transient response to the music. If done right there would be no hum, if the tubes are good, but sometimes no matter what you get hum induced. I still normally filter and rectify the heater current.

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #203 of 307
How hot is too hot, as since i have stopped using the voltage converter to change my 240v mains into the 120v little dot, it is alot hotter, before it was standard temperature for most electrical equipment like my solid state speaker amp, although the tubes them self were too hot to touch. Now without voltage conversion, it seems worryingly hot, as you can only touch the body of the amp itself for a short while before it comes too hot. I was told it didnt matter about converting the voltage.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #204 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by apologies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hot is too hot, as since i have stopped using the voltage converter to change my 240v mains into the 120v little dot, it is alot hotter, before it was standard temperature for most electrical equipment like my solid state speaker amp, although the tubes them self were too hot to touch. Now without voltage conversion, it seems worryingly hot, as you can only touch the body of the amp itself for a short while before it comes too hot. I was told it didnt matter about converting the voltage.

Yea, the LD2+ is very hot too, but i think the design can withstand that heat.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #205 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, the LD2+ is very hot too, but i think the design can withstand that heat.

agreed..PD

AP, yes the LD2++ does get very hot, but from what I recall my LD2 was hotter..so a move in the right direction at least

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #206 of 307
This doesn't compute. You can't just double the voltage into the amp if the winding on the transformer is set up for 120. You hare going to increase everything. if the filaments are on a winding then they are going to double. Your amp will not last very long as you are doubling everything. Am I missing something here? The amp will burn out and even the caps are going to have too much voltage on them and they could blow.

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #208 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This doesn't compute. You can't just double the voltage into the amp if the winding on the transformer is set up for 120. You hare going to increase everything. if the filaments are on a winding then they are going to double. Your amp will not last very long as you are doubling everything. Am I missing something here? The amp will burn out and even the caps are going to have too much voltage on them and they could blow.

Thats what i thought... Well i think i must of been given a 240v (with the new temperature info from rain uk) , i just presumed, as i read 120v in the manual, and it came with a 2 pin plug (also presumed the worst as it was from an unauthorised dealer), so i played it safe, used a V converter, as i thought this wouldnt do any long term harm, and contacted the guy i got it from to ask him what the voltage was, as i recieved a 2 pin plug etc. Quite unhelpfully he replied "dont worry about the voltage", so he didnt really answer me, and ive been worried ever since
rs1smile.gif
Although i was stupid enough to try it at 240V without knowing for sure, and it seems the high temp. is ok. Anyone know how to check the V to be certain? Theres no information itself on the exterior, would i have joy inside?

P.S HAHA this is such a newbie mess! please dont be too hard on me.
redface.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #209 of 307
DAMMIT!!! I got home to find one of the notes that USPS leaves if youre not home to accept a package. I have to wait till 2morrow now. Im calling in sick.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #210 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAMMIT!!! I got home to find one of the notes that USPS leaves if youre not home to accept a package. I have to wait till 2morrow now. Im calling in sick.

They just say 2h tomorrow because they give your package to the post office at the end of their runs, so it's may be late.

I also receive a slip saying 2h tomorrow I went to the post office at 8:00PM the same day mine close at 9:00PM and it's there.

and according to the tracking it was there since 6:30 PM the same day but since the tracking here is canada is delay so it won't on their website show before the day after so you can't rely on tracking to know where the package is. (maybe even as early as 1:30PM there is some weir notation on the tracking: at 1:30 PM it supposed to be transfered then at 6:30 received. Both with refecence to the small postal outlet near my house)

So unless it's very different with USPS you don't really have to wait till 2h tomorrow. They just put a late time to be sure it's at the post office and there isn't anybody going there and come back empty.

My guess is if you go there early tomorrow it's going to be there waiting for you. But then It's base on my experience with Canada Post no idea if they like to make you wait for nothing down south
icon10.gif

EDIT: This is assuming you where ask pick up tommorow at 2h that what happen for me, obviously if you have a second delivery attempt (ie the truck will come back to your house) then it doesn't apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back