Little Dot I+ w/ DAC or HiFiMan EF2 for SRH840?
Jan 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

renniche

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Shure SRH840s last week and now I'm trying to decide on amplification and perhaps a DAC.

I've done some research on here and it looks like the Little Dot I+ and the HiFiMan EF2 are good choices for relatively cheap amplification. Are these good for the SRH840s? Which works better for these set of cans?

I know that the EF2 has a built-in DAC, but apparently it's not the greatest, although as a whole the EF2 is still a steal, especially as I'm still brand new to this stuff. If the Little Dot I+ amp is a better choice, what DAC should I go with? My source will be my desktop computer.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Seems like you'd want a higher quality standalone amp and a higher quality standalone dac to begin with, but that will most likely put you over the EF2's price point.  I've read reviews of the EF2 back when I was looking for an amp, and it had mixed reviews, though I'm sure it will have no problem driving the 840.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 5
The EF2A's DAC is quite good really, I didn't notice much of an improvement going from the EF2A's DAC to the MSII (with the HD 650's), in fact I prefer the EF2A's DAC for soundsignature reasons. If you do get the EF2A tho, replace the Chinese tubes with better ones - it's a must. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back