Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jun 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #796 of 3,154

Quote:
Does anyone know where I could source a pair of Sylvania 408s Gold from? Didn't have any luck on eBay so far.

How do you like your K701 off of your LD I+?  Do you still have the stock OpAmp in there?  I'm thinking of trying a new OpAmp before rolling anymore tubes... to get better synergy with my K702.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #797 of 3,154
You buy some cheap opamps for a couple pennies and sell them for $10? Huge profits.
Exactly of like the "matched pair" on tubes price gouging.
"Well i don't know, i just stick with a 'known good source'" ever see this mentioned anywhere?
Because we "don't know" we buy $40 pairs, when we could get tubes for $4 the pair? If we don't know, then why do we blindly trust the $40 seller?
Buy a matched pair, then buy a cheap pair. Listen to the "good pair". Then have someone switch the tubes without telling you if they really switched to the "unmatched pair" or left them on your matched pair.
I bet if they told you they are the cheap pair, you would hear it, until they told you they tricked you and they actually left the matched pair :p

Tubes and opamps are a very profitable market, faking stuff (like claiming matching when you really did nothing) is big business.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #798 of 3,154

Quote:
How do you like your K701 off of your LD I+?  Do you still have the stock OpAmp in there?  I'm thinking of trying a new OpAmp before rolling anymore tubes... to get better synergy with my K702.

Still the stock opamp, but ordered LT1364 yesterday from a German shop, should be here in a while. Really like the K701 with the LD I+ WE408 tubes, I mainly listen to instrumental, orchestral, live recordings, j-pop and really like the amazing soundstage that the amp delivers. Warm, natural and yet very detailed. I feel like there could be some improvement done in the mid-range though, but then again I'm fairly new to this hobby. Hope I could provide some feedback.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #799 of 3,154
Hmmm, my personal K702 should be here in a day or so for me to continue testing.  I borrowed a friend's for the weekend and I have the same setup (W.E. 408A w/LT1364 OpAmp).  I used the K702 with stock cable, a gaming cable that I build (OFC cable), and an OCC Copper Cable (believe it was DHC).  The stock was ok, but nothing special.  The Gaming Cable was nice and reduced some of the harshness and boosted mids and bass.  The OCC cable did the same as the Gaming cable, but it also increased the detail and bright highs were very evident.  I didn't like it all that much, but I did like the headphones more with the stock 6J1 tubes and the after market cables.  I'm going to get my music together and give them a thorough listen before the K702 arrive and that way I can listen to them and find my sweet spot.  Hopefully, it doesn't mess up the synergy the amp has with my Grados (LOVE THEM as they are right now).

Quote:
Still the stock opamp, but ordered LT1364 yesterday from a German shop, should be here in a while. Really like the K701 with the LD I+ WE408 tubes, I mainly listen to instrumental, orchestral, live recordings, j-pop and really like the amazing soundstage that the amp delivers. Warm, natural and yet very detailed. I feel like there could be some improvement done in the mid-range though, but then again I'm fairly new to this hobby. Hope I could provide some feedback.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #801 of 3,154
Got it in. The volume knob needs a lot more. The gain on this thing is really low. The sound stage is absolutely humongous! I intend to roll a few tubes through it tonite. Sticking with my tried and true M8083's. Will try the M8161's tonite for sure since I don't have to jumper at all. :)

And to think it was only 5$ for me. Goodbuy711 I believe is who I bought it from.

Got some more listening to do, but really satisfied so far. :)

Nothing, and I mean nothing sticks out enough to bother me. If I buy an Little Dot DAC two of these WILL go into the DAC. They're so nuetral and under amping that they're bound to be perfect for the pre out section of a DAC. Sound stage is phenominal. Almost wish I had ordered 3 for the future. :)

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #802 of 3,154
My pair of NOS CV4010s were in the mail today, didn't hesitate any second and rolled them in. I just burned in my WE408s and really liked the combination with the LT1364 since it provides such a nice wide soundstage while not being harsh. Now for the Mullards, they sure are interesting. Comparing them 1:1, there's only a very little bit of soundstage detail lost, though the overall sound is much warmer, smoother, intimated and they do provide some nice bass. I never thought that my K701 were on the bass less side, but the extra bit of bass sure is welcome. I can't wait what they sound like once burned in.

I should get some CV4014s in the mail tomorrow as well, though they'll have to wait.

@Aynjell
Interesting read, might order one as well if it's just five bucks.

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #803 of 3,154
Well, to be honest.  When I received my own K702, I tried the exact same combo as the ones that I borrowed... and I liked mine better for some reason (probably because they're mine).  I then built a new Mogami W2893 based gaming cable, and it worked much better than I thought.  I think OFC with the LD I+ (LT1364 and WE408E) are a pretty good combo.  UPOCC based cable is too detailed and the highs are too much for my taste.

Quote:
My pair of NOS CV4010s were in the mail today, didn't hesitate any second and rolled them in. I just burned in my WE408s and really liked the combination with the LT1364 since it provides such a nice wide soundstage while not being harsh. Now for the Mullards, they sure are interesting. Comparing them 1:1, there's only a very little bit of soundstage detail lost, though the overall sound is much warmer, smoother, intimated and they do provide some nice bass. I never thought that my K701 were on the bass less side, but the extra bit of bass sure is welcome. I can't wait what they sound like once burned in.

I should get some CV4014s in the mail tomorrow as well, though they'll have to wait.

@Aynjell

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #804 of 3,154

Quote:

@Aynjell

I got mine at 10$ for two. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #805 of 3,154
My initial (but less initial than earlier) impressions of the OPA 2107:

1. This op amp doesn't amplify as much, or doesn't seem to. I have to add about 25% of what I already have to the volume to get to listening levels. This is awesome for me, because coming out of my X-Fi, the signal is already seemingly pre-amped, so the LD amp doesn't get much play. This op amp would be brilliant in a DAC if not for point number 2.

2. It loses track of details pretty quickly. In fact, it's veiled and a bit muddy. I've tried it with every tube in my possession aside from my chinese 6JI's, with no luck in increasing the resolution. Some things, that are already incredibly detailed and could use some toning down are turned into beautiful pieces of music to my ears. Last night I listened to A Perfect Circle's Noose, Lullabye, and Counting Body Like Sheep To The Rhythm of a War Drum. The first track seemed to be hurt by this op amp, losing some of it's already scant detail, but the second and third were very simple sonuds, and the sounds benefitted from a bit of smoothing.

3. You can really crank it up. I think I listened to the third track a bit too loudly last night. The fact that I can turn it up so high and still enjoy it screams balanced.

4. Like the LT1364, the sound stage is huge. When I listen, I get all the best parts of listening to speakers, with all the best of headphones. With combinations like this, I can't fathom listening to speakers.

I think this is a great op amp that needs a good tube combo, but up til now every op amp has sounded best next to the M8083's I got.

All my impressions were made with the Shure SRH840 (A brilliant closed can, and one anybody should have if they need a closed can). Good sound stage, great balance, etc. At 200$ a pop, they're hard to justify, but they really are amazing.

I will try to listen some more tonite, but I'm going to a MTG draft, so we'll see how late that runs. :)

((Pair this op amp with some already detailed tubes that provide good sound stage and more bass if you need that, and with detailed cans, less detailed cans will lose too much. I imagine my Grado SR325i's would sound absolutely brilliant with this setup, though!))

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #806 of 3,154

Quote:
My initial (but less initial than earlier) impressions of the OPA 2107:

1. This op amp doesn't amplify as much, or doesn't seem to. I have to add about 25% of what I already have to the volume to get to listening levels. This is awesome for me, because coming out of my X-Fi, the signal is already seemingly pre-amped, so the LD amp doesn't get much play. This op amp would be brilliant in a DAC if not for point number 2.

2. It loses track of details pretty quickly. In fact, it's veiled and a bit muddy. I've tried it with every tube in my possession aside from my chinese 6JI's, with no luck in increasing the resolution. Some things, that are already incredibly detailed and could use some toning down are turned into beautiful pieces of music to my ears. Last night I listened to A Perfect Circle's Noose, Lullabye, and Counting Body Like Sheep To The Rhythm of a War Drum. The first track seemed to be hurt by this op amp, losing some of it's already scant detail, but the second and third were very simple sonuds, and the sounds benefitted from a bit of smoothing.

3. You can really crank it up. I think I listened to the third track a bit too loudly last night. The fact that I can turn it up so high and still enjoy it screams balanced.

4. Like the LT1364, the sound stage is huge. When I listen, I get all the best parts of listening to speakers, with all the best of headphones. With combinations like this, I can't fathom listening to speakers.

I think this is a great op amp that needs a good tube combo, but up til now every op amp has sounded best next to the M8083's I got.

All my impressions were made with the Shure SRH840 (A brilliant closed can, and one anybody should have if they need a closed can). Good sound stage, great balance, etc. At 200$ a pop, they're hard to justify, but they really are amazing.

I will try to listen some more tonite, but I'm going to a MTG draft, so we'll see how late that runs. :)

((Pair this op amp with some already detailed tubes that provide good sound stage and more bass if you need that, and with detailed cans, less detailed cans will lose too much. I imagine my Grado SR325i's would sound absolutely brilliant with this setup, though!))

You don't happen to have Sylvania GB408s, do you? It certainly would be interesting to see how well they manage in your combination. To be honest, I don't really like how fast the OPA 2107 loses track of details, so I guess I'll skip that one.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #808 of 3,154
So far, the OPA2107 is the best op amp and with the M8083 tubes I have, is the best combination. no fatigue, and wonderful sound. the lack of detail is actually just a wider sound stage, I misjudged it at first. I reccomend it to all.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #809 of 3,154
Hello,

Just became a Little I+ owner, i have a LT1364 opamp ordered. I would like to ask in combination of my K701 i feel the power is lacking (the volum pot is at the end) and i feel still lack the punch. Feel like my 701 is kinda death. Is this cause of the standaart opamp?

Also any one can give me hints on Tube for the LT1364+701 Combo? Mostly listen to old classic.

Any help is much apreciated.

Best Regards

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #810 of 3,154
Sounds like your source isn't feeding the LD properly.   Try turning it up if you can.  You shouldn't be able to use more than 40 % of your volume pot without serious hearing damage.  

I liked the Tung-sol 6ak5w with my k702 but liked the 2107 opamp better than the 1364.  Any of the Mullard family (8100, 8161, 8083) would probably mesh well too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back