Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Feb 11, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #601 of 3,154
Of the opamps I've tried (Lt1364, Stock, LM4562, and LME49720), I think I've settled on the LME49720. As for those who assume the LM4562 and LME49720 are the same, don't. In my opinion they sound noticeably different. So make sure you try them both if you have them.
I've got a set of Valve Electronics 6AK5W tubes incoming. I'm hoping for a more 'tubey' sound out of them. Fingers crossed.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #602 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotomoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the opamps I've tried (Lt1364, Stock, LM4562, and LME49720), I think I've settled on the LME49720. As for those who assume the LM4562 and LME49720 are the same, don't. In my opinion they sound noticeably different. So make sure you try them both if you have them.
I've got a set of Valve Electronics 6AK5W tubes incoming. I'm hoping for a more 'tubey' sound out of them. Fingers crossed.

Definitely wanna try this LME opa everyone's raving about.

I'm back to the GB408A, LT1364 combo, but I found the missing link. My SR325i + Quarter mod (reversed) comfies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #603 of 3,154
I got the M8161, I was disappointed in them at first because they were less detailed and the soundstage wasn't as wide as the stock tubes but then about 15 hours in something weird happened, out of nowhere they started sounding really warm and bassy, the transition was almost instant, it was the weirdest thing ever, but it only lasted about 30 minutes and then they went back to being plain, boring and undetailed sounding, I've put another 5 hours into them but I have yet to hear anything like that again, is it normal for a tube to break in in such a strange way? will they sound nice and rich again once they've settled down and fully broken in? or am I just nuts?

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #604 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8-bit thief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the M8161, I was disappointed in them at first because they were less detailed and the soundstage wasn't as wide as the stock tubes but then about 15 hours in something weird happened, out of nowhere they started sounding really warm and bassy, the transition was almost instant, it was the weirdest thing ever, but it only lasted about 30 minutes and then they went back to being plain, boring and undetailed sounding, I've put another 5 hours into them but I have yet to hear anything like that again, is it normal for a tube to break in in such a strange way? will they sound nice and rich again once they've settled down and fully broken in? or am I just nuts?

Mine sound warm and bassy. Let 'em run for a bit longer... but who knows with tubes?

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #605 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine sound warm and bassy. Let 'em run for a bit longer... but who knows with tubes?

Well they did sound a tiny bit warmer at first particularly in the lower midrange but nothing like what happened 15 hours in, man I'm just baffled, that sudden change really caught me off guard.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #606 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8-bit thief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they did sound a tiny bit warmer at first particularly in the lower midrange but nothing like what happened 15 hours in, man I'm just baffled, that sudden change really caught me off guard.

I've never experienced what you've described. I've heard tubes stutter very quickly due to my cell phone... but I've never had a tube totally change character. But then again, I got mine after a lot of burn-in, both M8161 and GB408A.

Give it another few sessions!

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #607 of 3,154
I have a question, when I searched for Mullard M8100 tubes on ebay, I end up finding the CV4010. Is there a difference between them? Or are they two seperate tubes but in the same family?

Thanks

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #608 of 3,154
Honestly, my setup sounds so good that I'm not sure if I should try anything else.

Here's what I have:

I have an LT1364 and Mullard CV4010 tubes.

What should I try next?

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #609 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3ng3anc3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question, when I searched for Mullard M8100 tubes on ebay, I end up finding the CV4010. Is there a difference between them? Or are they two seperate tubes but in the same family?

"The CV4010 is the UK Government code for the commercial M8100 which in turn is Mullard's special quality version of the EF95." (CV4010 @ The National Valve Museum)

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #611 of 3,154
I just received my Little Dot1+ from another Head-Fier and I am liking it so far. After reading the thread educating myself on the different tubes and op amps, I wonder how different genre's of music are affecting the choices of these pieces. Would some tubes be better suited to rock, metal, pop, etc. If anyone has info, perhaps they could share it with the rest of us. I am interested in tubes and op amp's best suited to metal and hard rock. If I missed any posts containing this info, I am sorry but it is a long thread. Thanks

ps: using Alessandro MS1's

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #612 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by betweentheears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my Little Dot1+ from another Head-Fier and I am liking it so far. After reading the thread educating myself on the different tubes and op amps, I wonder how different genre's of music are affecting the choices of these pieces. Would some tubes be better suited to rock, metal, pop, etc. If anyone has info, perhaps they could share it with the rest of us. I am interested in tubes and op amp's best suited to metal and hard rock. If I missed any posts containing this info, I am sorry but it is a long thread. Thanks

ps: using Alessandro MS1's

For me, Sylvania GB408A + LT1364CN8 sounds terrible for really heavy guitar (like Korn, Joe Satriani, etc)... it just sounds like one big note with 1/4mod comfies. It's better with bowls, but you lose warmth with this setup.

I won't have time tonite but I'm going to swap in the mullards again tomorrow and see what I think of them with my grado's + flats.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #613 of 3,154
Thanks Aynjell, I just swapped in WE408A and am finding them a little muddy with heavy passages but the accoustic guitar sounds great[Opeth]. I will give them a little longer before putting the stock tubes back in. If any Canadian Head-fiers have a good scource for op amps and tubes could you forward via post or PM.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #614 of 3,154
Quote:

Thanks Aynjell, I just swapped in WE408A and am finding them a little muddy with heavy passages but the accoustic guitar sounds great[Opeth]. I will give them a little longer before putting the stock tubes back in. If any Canadian Head-fiers have a good scource for op amps and tubes could you forward via post or PM.

Yep, guitar will sound great. First time I truly had an eargasm just from an opa or tube change was the LM4526, but I can't use it because of the damned hissing in right channel. Supposedly there are similar that work fine in this amp but...

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #615 of 3,154
Quote:

Make sure you move the jumper back from the 408A position when going back to the stock tubes since the 408A are using 20v for the heaters.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back