Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #631 of 3,154
What do those dampners do for you? any noticable difference?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some more op amp suggestions. Ideas, guys?

So far I have:

Mullard EF92 M8161
Mullard EF91
Sylvania 408A
Stock 6JI

for Opa's:

LM4562
LT1364
OPA2132
OPA2227
Stock

I want a few more options, and wanna get a few on my list to order. On the list already is:

LME49720

Any others that are really nuetral, but with a bit of warmth in the middle? I want something that has bass, controlled, but with depth, warm spacious mids with fairly nuetral highs. Also, sound stage would be nice as I'd like to have the same config for gaming as I have for music. Suggestions? Ideas?

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #632 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do those dampners do for you? any noticable difference?

Sound wise, not much. The different too subtle for me to nail down... nothing I've noticed to be honest. One thing though, they look nice.

Downsides: it rubs the markings off the tubes. Short tubes don't notice a change at all (sylvania 408A, stock 6JI)

Upside: tall tubes the microphonics almost disappear (read: mullards).

Anyway, back to my origional question: need some op amp suggestions!

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #634 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3ng3anc3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the EF91? Was waiting for your impression.

Not earth shattering for me. I haven't' had much time with them, but extremely prominent lows. That's all I've got from it thus far.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #635 of 3,154
Quote:

Not earth shattering for me. I haven't' had much time with them, but extremely prominent lows. That's all I've got from it thus far.

That's kind of disappointing to hear considering I bought one myself, though I bought the one that's printed M8083. Please post an update if it turns out sounding better after burn-in, thanks!

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #636 of 3,154
Not earth shattering, but one of the least fatiguing tubes I've heard. That's all I'm noticing for now. I think it's paired poorly. A different and slightly more revealing op amp would do wonders next to this tube I bet.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #637 of 3,154
Quote:

That's kind of disappointing to hear considering I bought one myself, though I bought the one that's printed M8083. Please post an update if it turns out sounding better after burn-in, thanks!

Don't be disappointed in your purchase. I have a boatload of tubes - and can honestly say the EF91s are easily my favorites in both my LD amps with Grados, Denons and AKGs. Great thing about this hobby - we all have different ears and preferences. I'm not always right and you're not always wrong - it's personal.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #638 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be disappointed in your purchase. I have a boatload of tubes - and can honestly say the EF91s are easily my favorites in both my LD amps with Grados, Denons and AKGs. Great thing about this hobby - we all have different ears and preferences. I'm not always right and you're not always wrong - it's personal.

Exactly. I say take a few chances, figure it out for yourself, and find people who like what you like on the forums and follow a few of their buying decisions.

Edit I rescind my last two comments primarily because my sound card was configured poorly. I didn't notice because today and yesterday (when I got the tubes) I was too tired to pay much attention to the idea. Basically... had the gaming related features on my x-fi on and it makes all the difference in the world, I tell you.

I'll offer some insight tommorrow.

I know one thing for a fact though:

Ef91's are the brightest and most beautiful tube I own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #640 of 3,154
Quote:

Another note: Very microphonic, dampers or not, they don't respond to dampers as well as EF92.

Agreed - although microphonic tubes don't bother me as much as it seems to others. Once the music starts flowing I'm all in I guess.

I agree with one other point as made by Aynjell - experimentation is awesome. I've found tubes I didn't quite care for at first have later become top 5s for me. For example - GE 5stars which everyone raves about on the LD MKIII rolling thread quickly were average for me on first listen when I found them. 6 months later, I rolled them back into my amp and now I can't stop listening to them. It's not just "burn-in"...it's mood, source, artist, song - everything. Try them all within your limit!

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #641 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we all have different ears and preferences. I'm not always right and you're not always wrong - it's personal.

True, I don't regret making that purchase at all. Especially if it's at least aesthetically pleasing with the brightest glow.

Quote:

Edit I rescind my last two comments primarily because my sound card was configured poorly. I didn't notice because today and yesterday (when I got the tubes) I was too tired to pay much attention to the idea. Basically... had the gaming related features on my x-fi on and it makes all the difference in the world, I tell you.

That's good to hear. Yeah I remember for my desktop when I had my x-fi on gaming it sounds quite different than when it's on music mode.

Quote:

Another note: Very microphonic, dampers or not, they don't respond to dampers as well as EF92.

Should I even bother getting dampers? I mean even for my other tubes? Or should I just wait and see how bad the microphonics are before I decide.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #642 of 3,154
Should I even bother getting dampers? I mean even for my other tubes? Or should I just wait and see how bad the microphonics are before I decide.[/QUOTE]

I've thought about it but really when the music starts flowing I just don't notice it. Other than the fact they look cool I just don't see why.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #644 of 3,154
Quote:

True, I don't regret making that purchase at all. Especially if it's at least aesthetically pleasing with the brightest glow.

That's good to hear. Yeah I remember for my desktop when I had my x-fi on gaming it sounds quite different than when it's on music mode.

Should I even bother getting dampers? I mean even for my other tubes? Or should I just wait and see how bad the microphonics are before I decide.

Microphonics aren't something terribly intrusive. You hear it when you tap on the tubes or touch the amp or rub your finger on it. If you don't mess with it, it's all fine. Just keep your cell away from it.

That being said:

tube dampers help, but they're a bandaid. They aren't somethign that will improve your hi-fi setup drastically. I got my Peek Halo's for 25$ or so shipped. You can't get 1 at that price anymore... it's a different story when they're twice as much. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy them unless it was proven to really help with a certain type of tube.

Basically: I wouldn't. Go buy those rubber o-rings that work about as well if not better. I forget which part number it is, but most autozone's have them for a small fraction of what a single high end damper might cost.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #645 of 3,154
I think I'll hold off on the dampers unless things go terribly wrong.

Aren't rubber o-rings a bad idea because they might melt from the high temp of the tubes? Reminds me of what happens to the o-rings that I use in rocket motors, they turn into crisps after launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back