Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Feb 25, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,986 of 3,154
What do you two think the most musical or "tubey" sounding tubes are, from your experience?

I like the 6HM5 best within the PnP tubes.  It gives a good balance between clarity, warmth and airiness (tubey) sound I like.
The M8100 is actually more tubey, and a bit more bassy. I prefer the airiness of the 6HM5 though.
The JAN 5654 are not bad at all.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #2,987 of 3,154
Well as mentioned im really liking the 6hm5 tubes but any of the tubes mentioned are a great starting point since sound is subjective.

How would you compare the 6HM5 to the M8100? I have a few pairs of the M8100, should probably sell one and try something else too.

Edit: Should have went to the last page, as you answered. :)

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,989 of 3,154
Hmm well dont have the m8100s, how much would you sell a set for?

Ooh probably in the realm of $30 usd all in, I'm in Canada and haven't shipped much more than RMA's before so not totally sure on shipping cost for such a small item, but that's me assuming shipping would be $10

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,991 of 3,154
Ill probably hold off for now, im selling off a few thing to save for a new video card for my computer.

All good! I'm in no rush. Heck, maybe they will be worth something in several years.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,992 of 3,154
My 6HM5 tubes just arrived, and it's not looking too good already.

First, one of the tubes do not have the "flare up" glow when turned on. However, it does work so I'm not sure whether it's something I should be worried about. The other one that flares up however sounds slightly sharper in the highs (both have sharp highs). These tubes also ring very badly when accidentally touched, like ear piercing ringing.

Initial impressions aren't that great, although they haven't had nearly enough time to burn in. While I have to agree on some tracks they have amazing airy soundstage, metal instruments (e.g. cymbals) sound extremely sparkly, other tracks just sound plain grainy. Vocals sounds not juicy at all, not intimate at all (both male and female). I read somewhere that these tubes require a bit of burn in, so I'll wait and see how it goes.

TL;DR 6HM5 arrived, one doesn't have cool startup glow and worried if defective, initial sound impressions not too good.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,993 of 3,154
I have EI 6hm5 that ring badly as well. I also got some Sylvania 6hm5 that don't have that problem. They've been in for the last few months and i've not felt the urge to roll them despite having many other tubes that haven't had a lot of listening time.

Had delivery of a Burson v5 today so looking forward to that going in the LD. Unfortunately they didn't send the extension lead so that it will lay flat inside the LD. Will have to place the ends of the LD on books and leave the base off until I get one i suppose.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,994 of 3,154
I have EI 6hm5 that ring badly as well. I also got some Sylvania 6hm5 that don't have that problem. They've been in for the last few months and i've not felt the urge to roll them despite having many other tubes that haven't had a lot of listening time.

Had delivery of a Burson v5 today so looking forward to that going in the LD. Unfortunately they didn't send the extension lead so that it will lay flat inside the LD. Will have to place the ends of the LD on books and leave the base off until I get one i suppose.

How do the Sylvania version compare to the El's? If they sound similar I might just get one of those and return my EI 6HM5. I can literally hear the ringing when volume exceeds a certain amount in songs (and it doesn't need to be loud). Whenever the piano has a heavy note it rings once, and gets annoying rather quick.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #2,995 of 3,154
How do the Sylvania version compare to the El's? If they sound similar I might just get one of those and return my EI 6HM5. I can literally hear the ringing when volume exceeds a certain amount in songs (and it doesn't need to be loud). Whenever the piano has a heavy note it rings once, and gets annoying rather quick.

If I recall correctly, it's been a few months now, then sounded very similar and any differences were subtle.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,997 of 3,154
Hey

Won a bid on ebay yesterday for a LD with standard tubes plus a pair of Mullards 8100.

Should I get anything else to really match up K7xx?

Cheers

I have the LD1+ with the m8100 tubes as well, with a k712. Love it, it's my go to for music - I did swap op-amps though so that could be an option if you wanted to squeeze a little more out.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #2,998 of 3,154
Just ordered a 1+ and a matched pair of mullard m8100 tubes. First entry in the tube world and I'm excited!

From my understanding the m8100 is the same tube family as the stock 6j1 tubes? So I just swap them out?

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2,999 of 3,154
Just ordered a 1+ and a matched pair of mullard m8100 tubes. First entry in the tube world and I'm excited!

From my understanding the m8100 is the same tube family as the stock 6j1 tubes? So I just swap them out?

Yup, both are the E95 configuration if I am not mistaken.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #3,000 of 3,154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back