Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Aug 5, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #2,356 of 3,154

The pin-out for the C3m is different than the C3g, and thus, a different adapter would be necessary. So yes, the C3m will work using the 408A heater settings, but you can't use the C3g adapters. However you can always ask one of the eBay vendors to build adapters for you, or if you are handy, perhaps you could build your own.

I tried some C3ms. They sounded good but not as good as the C3Gs IMHO. The real problem was it made the 10ohm (ver 2.0) or 20ohm resistors (ver 3.0) way too hot. They would get to scalding temperatures in around 15 seconds. With the 408A tubes, the resistors get hot but not scalding hot.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #2,359 of 3,154
  I tried some C3ms. They sounded good but not as good as the C3Gs IMHO. The real problem was it made the 10ohm (ver 2.0) or 20ohm resistors (ver 3.0) way too hot. They would get to scalding temperatures in around 15 seconds. With the 408A tubes, the resistors get hot but not scalding hot.

For sure, the C3m draws significantly more heater current than the 408A. However, controlling for the difference in voltage (volt-amperes), it is equivalent to the C3g and less than the 6AH6, so the C3m should be OK.

But since you found that the C3g sounds better, and further, C3g adapters are readily available on eBay, it would seem that the C3m isn't worth the extra effort.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #2,360 of 3,154
Just received my Muses02 opamp, now paired with my 6hm5 tubes using my Astell & Kern AK100 as a source...WOW! Not night and day difference from the Muses01, but definately an improvement for me...more fluid, tighter, and airier presentation...sounds fantastic to me through my AKG K550.

Now I want a pair of AKG K7XX so I can experience some fine open headphones...oh the upgraiditis it'll slaughter my wallet.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #2,364 of 3,154
Hi guys, i read a lot about the C3G and I want to give them a try.
Do you have any reliable and cheap sellers that sells them? Same goes for the adapters and spacers.
Please note that I will need an international shipping.
Thanks.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2,365 of 3,154
  Hi guys, i read a lot about the C3G and I want to give them a try.
Do you have any reliable and cheap sellers that sells them? Same goes for the adapters and spacers.
Please note that I will need an international shipping.
Thanks.

The current best price I have seen for C3g are these Lorenz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lorenz-C3G-tube-/252051478955

The Siemens are very similar, but a bit brighter.

The info on adapters and spacers in the following post is still valid:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/6000#post_10512665

Cheers

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,366 of 3,154
Where you at g-man?!?

I know you guys gave up on the 6AK5s and usually put different brand pairs of other tubes in the amp etc...

Going through my inventory of various lots I purchased throught the years and trying to match some up.

Have these TSs, both 6AK5s, one is shorter than the other and they look a little different.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,367 of 3,154
  Going through my inventory of various lots I purchased throught the years and trying to match some up.

Have these TSs, both 6AK5s, one is shorter than the other and they look a little different.

Even though they appear to be slightly different, they are both TS and there is no reason not to try them as a pair. And in fact, I know of some folks who have found that the best sound for them is a mismatched pair, one from manufacturer A and the other from manufacturer B. lol.

Cheers,

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,368 of 3,154

Even though they appear to be slightly different, they are both TS and there is no reason not to try them as a pair. And in fact, I know of some folks who have found that the best sound for them is a mismatched pair, one from manufacturer A and the other from manufacturer B. lol.

Cheers,

Thanks g,

They've been in a drawer for years with other strays.  Will fire them up.  Going to try and match some others too:

This was a random lot I picked up.  All tested good

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #2,370 of 3,154
  I was considering buying a LD1+ for some Beyer DT990 (250ohm). What tubes should I look for ? If the LD1+ is even worth buying for those cans.

I am currently using both. Biggest upgrade for me was replacing the opamp in the LD1+ to a Muses02. I'm using some milspec NOS mullards for tubes, but still waiting for some new ones to come in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back