Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Oct 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #47 of 3,154
Oct 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #48 of 3,154
Be aware that these look like the small shield tubes, not the big shield variety which are better in SQ. By how much I can't say since all I have is one pair of large shield 8161's (Thanks Ethebull for the trade !!!).

DOA can explain these differences better since he has experienced these tubes in far greater depth than I have. I'm sure these are good tubes though....FWIW. Just something to think about.

Peete.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #49 of 3,154
Drat? Well, lesson learned.

I am curious enough to see what differences there might be among 4 tubes of the same manufacture and matched to boot. Given the potentially large number of folks getting the LD1+, there might be someone interested in hearing them and given what I paid, probably I can let 2 of the 4 go for the price of postage.

But it's another week at least before I have the amp in hand, so probably I should just stop buying tubes until at least I have heard the Ediswans...

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #50 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am curious enough to see what differences there might be among 4 tubes of the same manufacture and matched to boot. Given the potentially large number of folks getting the LD1+, there might be someone interested in hearing them and given what I paid, probably I can let 2 of the 4 go for the price of postage.

But it's another week at least before I have the amp in hand, so probably I should just stop buying tubes until at least I have heard the Ediswans...

I bought a quad from triodeel about a month ago and they sound great. You will get them sooner than 2-3 weeks. Mine took about a week.
I think if you buy in bulk it's 2-3 weeks.

The Ediswans are good too. Mullard EF91 excellent. Those are my go to tubes. There are so many possibilities with this little amp, it's hard to just have a couple of pairs...

Happy rolling
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #51 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh don't get me wrong...I'm sure these are good tubes, it's just the large shield versions are the most sought after from what I understand. 2 matched pairs of genuine Mullards at that price is always a good deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy them regardless
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #52 of 3,154
Well now that my OPA-Earth came in for my Zero DAC, I threw the OPA627 in the I+. Things I could detect:
-I find myself turning the volume up louder.
-A little more bass presence.
-Much, much better channel seperation.

It's staying in for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #54 of 3,154
^ It is changed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Just by eye, I'd have to say that without some kind of modification the HDAM will not fit in the I+
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #56 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thoughts:

Anyone have/try this this opamp yet?

I'm guessing no one has, so if I ever get this amp I'll try this, unless anyone has negative experiences with it.

My Thoughts:

Verify if your amp has (originally) an MC33078 as stated by some users in the original LD 1+ thread.

The MC33078 is a dual op amp and the AD797 is a single (according to the link you provided).

If so, it won't work. The pin-outs are different (amongst other things).

I'd verify whether the MC33078 is the stock op-amp myself, except my LD 1+ somehow got sent to an address in California instead of my home in Chicago.
frown.gif

Edit: Oops...of course a pair of 'em COULD work with the proper adapter (Brown Dog, etc.)...hope I didn't insult your intelligence.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #58 of 3,154
It would be interesting to try a pair of AD797's in the proper adapter of course.

The big question to me is using an HDAM module ....with an extension lead it may be possible to use one. I don't have the amp to try so it's just a guess by looking at pics of the internals.

Peete.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #59 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... D'oh.

Thats what happens when you don't know what you're doing.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for answering my novice question, and pointing me the right way.

NP.

But as Peete also pointed out: There are adaptors to install 2 single op-amps into a dual application, if one really wanted to try a specific op-amp. This has been done quite a bit recently using the BB OP627's by the guys in the ZERO thread (in my sig), so much so, that sellers are now offering this two-op-amps-plus-adaptor as a standard upgrade option when purchasing a ZERO.

BTW, the stock op-amp variants can go for less than 30 cents, at consumer retail individual item pricing, when I did a quickie check at Newark Electronics! That is a pretty inexpensive op-amp WRT some of the the op-amps were often playing around with in here (4-5 bux and up). No poor reflection on LD, per se, since it may very well be suited perfectly for it's intended use (I have no 1+ yet, nor any schematic).

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #60 of 3,154
Did anyone try the Sylvania Gold Brand 408a tubes yet? I've ordered a pair, but haven't received them yet. I'm curious as to how they might sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back