Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Oct 6, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #31 of 3,154
If you don't already have WE480 tubes, I recommend looking for some Sylvania 408A's instead.. hard to find but I like them a lot better than the Western Electrics. I felt the WE's were missing something in the midrange. I got some Sylvania Gold Brand ones on eBay but they appear to be very rare.. Well anyway, hope others explore other 408A rolling options!

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #34 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would grab the Sylvania Gold Brands if I see them. They're always amazing sounding and very difficult to find.

X2

Peete.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #35 of 3,154
I put in the Philips NOS 408a tubes (thanks to Mapstec) yesterday instead of the WE 408a tubes. It's quite a difference. The tubes have been burning in for 10+ hours now and the sound is significantly warmer than before. I'm not sure, but I think I lost some detail, but the K701 likes these tubes a lot more than the Western Electric ones. The huge soundstage of the WE 408a has shrunk just a wee bit, making it a more intimate listening experience. Not sure which I like better, but I'm liking the variation very much.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #39 of 3,154
Not many impressions of the tubes yet...digging some impressions out of LD MKII and III tube rolling threads...

Dept_of_Alchemy on 6AK5 variants

ethebull on Stock GE's vs. Mullard M8100 vs. Amperex 5654

Penchum on Russian NOS 6Zh1P-EV EF95 Compatible Driver Tubes

ethebull's Big Ass Tube Review Part I

ethebull's Big Ass Tube Review Part II

ciphercomplete on the VOSHODs, Tung Sol/National 403B, Mullard 8161, Mullard 6AM6

Penchum on EF92 and EF95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "Mullard" flavor is a favorite with many tube freaks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dept_of_Alchemy on EF92 and EF95

JimSmiley on M8161 and CV131

more as I find them...

some nice gleanings

Glowing Tube Thread

Looks like a great tube source

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #40 of 3,154
Just ordered my I+ last night! I can't wait to start rolling tubes. I've found tubes on ebay, and I'll probably order some. But, there's a great store where I live that has tons of tubes, so I'll check that out first. Which leads to my next question: How do I test the tubes to match them? I have a multimeter(not a great one), do I use it?

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #41 of 3,154
Easiest would be to get a matched pair on eBay from a reliable seller like yen1233 who use tube testers. If you're going to a store with tubes maybe they can check for you if the pair is matched? Also if you're going there make sure you write down all the tube-rolling options and take them with you so you know what you can pick from.

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #43 of 3,154
There's been some talk of rolling op-ampss in this thread as well. Anybody have any more experience with this, or is the main concentration on tubes.
I've go t couple op-amps around I want to try(OPA2132 + OPA2227). Will the difference be as noticable as the tubes?

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #44 of 3,154
I've only tried WE and Sylvania 408A's and did notice a difference and the difference was about the same as rolling opamps. If you have a screw driver swapping opamps is very easy, just carefully unscrew the front and back bottom chassis screws (not the ones for the rubber feet), note where the wedge is on the opamp (I believe it faces the front of the chassis, don't take my word for it though), and just swap them. Again, be careful with the screws as I stripped one because it was on so tight. I would invite you to try whatever opamps you have, I tried everything but OPA627 which is going in the I+ as soon as my OPA-Earth for my Zero comes in tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #45 of 3,154
Right, just a few thoughts on the (original) Ediswan EF92 and my recently-purchased Mullard M8161.

Initial impressions of the Ediswan: wide open soundstage and incredible detail. 'Cooler' and less tube-like than you'd (i'd) imagine. Detail in the bass and vocal that amazed me. An overall sound that made it difficult to change amp, or even contemplate rolling the I+, but (eventually) roll I did.

The M8161. Really quite different than the Ediswan. Initial impressions: the retention of that incredible detail, but far more 'intimate'. I use intimate rather than a reduction or change of soundtstage because the effect is wholly positive (particularly with the right music) - and also note REB's use of the word, which I find sums the response perfectly. Warmer and more tube-like than the Ediswan, but oh that intimacy, it's actually difficult to put into words. Suffice to say i've got Eva Cassidy playing right now. She isn't simply singing, she's on the chair opposite, singing to me
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back