Little Dot DP_I Unboxing and Initial Impressions (Black Player Pics Added)
Nov 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #31 of 43
     Quote:
Hmmm....  any more updates?

This looks to be promising.

Little Dot just posted a new firmware update on the web page.  It takes a little finagling to get the update working, but I managed.
I will report my impressions of the update (soon) at the beginning of the thread (not the drastic changes I was hoping for).

Quote:
I'll wait for a Mk II. I think early adopters of any Chinese DAP must be up there with vulcanologists and swingers as folk who like to live dangerously. 
eek.gif

After my experience with the DP_I, I won't disagree.
wink_face.gif
  Also, you need the patience of Job...

Quote:
Hello

There are some better detailed pics outthere of the pcb, i find the soldering very sloppy and the use of smd devices is a fine option, but if there is a point to getting a short signal path, u better have facilities to make this right...

The unit I received has soldering that looks much cleaner and well done than the PCB pics on the site (my camera shots at the beginning of the thread doesn't do the PCB justice).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #32 of 43
HK_Sends, thanks for the work you have put into this, but for ~$500 I have to question whether this thing is a viable option for anyone other than the recipients of Trust Funds and relatives of one Bernard Madoff ?

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #33 of 43
      Quote:
HK_Sends, thanks for the work you have put into this, but for ~$500 I have to question whether this thing is a viable option for anyone other than the recipients of Trust Funds and relatives of one Bernard Madoff ?

Well, Uncle Bernie wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday...
tongue.gif

I have to agree on some points based on my experience.  I have been (and remain) a loyal customer of Little Dot, but I think they really didn't realize what developing a DAP was going to entail.  All of the issues I identified (resolved or yet to be) are things that should have been addressed in development.  I think they also got bitten by development costs which is why it's being advertised for $429.

At the risk of burning bridges, it's an unfinished product (especially with respect to firmware) that really needed to be refined prior to release.  Cowon at least offers more functionality out the gate with its players (except, perhaps the D3) and then refines and adds features (and squashes the occasional bugs).  Unless the next few DP_I firmware changes make significant progress addressing the interface and functionality, I won't be able to recommend it.

Disclaimer:  I pretty much knew what I was getting into...  Sometimes you just have to give things a chance.  I still believe new firmware can make this a great player, but Little Dot better put more effort into it and not take six months for the next update.
The hardware is great...the software is killing it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Still missing gapless flac playback...

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #34 of 43
Those that are following Little Dot developments may be interested to know a couple of things I found on ERJI.net.  One was mention of a replacement enclosure for the DP_I.  I assume it is to address issues with the finish on the original enclosures (the black finish easily comes off the edges).  Little Dot is also going to release a DP_II (it is supposed to available in China now).  The DP_II looks similar in build to the DP_I but doesn't include a DAC or amp section.  It is a pure digital source with optical, small coax and USB ports on it.  It also retains the SD card slot.

pictures courtesy of ERJI.net

Lastly, there is a new amplifier card available for the DP_I that uses the AD8620BR op amp.

If you are interested in any of these, David Zhe Zhe at Little Dot (www.littledot.net) may be able to provide some more info.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:
HK,
you should try the DP II with DAC M and enjoy the balanced cans......

I asked David Zhezhe at Little Dot when they would be available in the U.S. but I hadn't gotten an answer.  How do you like the user interface?  What's the firmware number and date?  Have they figured out gapless flac playback or do I need to rip the CD as a single file to avoid the breaks between songs?  I really am interested how much the DP_II has evolved as a digital source over the DP_I.  I am currently evaluating a iHIFI960 and Dugood HDAP-01 and let's just say...their firmware needs tweaking.

If you could provide some pictures, that would be great!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #42 of 43
I asked David Zhezhe at Little Dot when they would be available in the U.S. but I hadn't gotten an answer.  How do you like the user interface?  What's the firmware number and date?  Have they figured out gapless flac playback or do I need to rip the CD as a single file to avoid the breaks between songs?  I really am interested how much the DP_II has evolved as a digital source over the DP_I.  I am currently evaluating a iHIFI960 and Dugood HDAP-01 and let's just say...their firmware needs tweaking.

If you could provide some pictures, that would be great!

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

I ll check the version number latter for u.
But I always use split flac.
But as I know, the latest firmware support cue of ape so that u can play gapless.
The dpII is simplified dpi. It has no amp(so you have extremely long battery life) but with coax! coax on portable device! Its build to use together with dac m.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #43 of 43
Well folks,

I am moving away from portable audio and will be selling the Black-cased subject of this review for a pretty decent discount.  If you have any interest in Chinese-made DAPs, the Little Dot DP_1 is not a bad one to try.  Just keep hassling the Little Dot folks to release the latest firmware outside China...  TBH, it's not their fault, they have to cater to the whims of the Rockchip software developers.

I'll list it in the for sale section soon...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back