Little Dot DP_I Unboxing and Initial Impressions (Black Player Pics Added)
Jun 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

HK_sends

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, everyone!  

I recently got a lucky opportunity to obtain one of the (if not the) first Little Dot DP_I's shipped internationally.  I have to thank David ZheZhe and Sword Yang at Little Dot for being willing to part with one so I could do a bit of a preview/review.  Little Dot has been selling these within China for a good month or so, but hadn't started international shipping because the documentation is still being worked on and translated.  As soon as the documents are ready, they will be shipping abroad.  Little Dot was kind enough to send me a unit so I could review it (without documents at first, then following-up as the docs become available).  So this will be broken down into three parts; first, unboxing and initial impressions of the DP_I hardware.  Next, impressions of the sound and functionality as best I can.  Finally, follow-up impressions with the documentation and of any features I couldn't figure out previously.
DISCLAIMER: Please understand that these are all my opinions and impressions, and while Little Dot was kind enough to provide the DP_I earlier than planned, I actually did purchase it with my own funds and am not beholden to LD in any way.  So, I feel I can be honest.

OK, enough of the preamble...

I got a nice little package delivered to me today from China.  In it was a non-descript box, and what was inside?  Well, I'll show you...

Delivered in two days!  Little Dot Rocks!

The start of the goodies...

I do not know if everything here is included in the final shipping package, but based on some Chinese forums I have (attempted to) read,
I believe so.  Please note the paper included is in Chinese.  The documentation is being finalized and translated.  That's all LD needs to do before shipping internationally.

Notice the Optical (yes, optical) Cable plug ends look like 1/8" mini-plugs.  That's because the Line-Out and Headphone-Out sockets also function as Optical Digital S/DPIF In/Out.

Standard USB charger with USB-to-mini USB cable.  Makes life much easier using standard cables for charging and hooking up to your computer.

Ahh, the player box.  Very nice packaging...

...Nice.  Flap is held down by a magnet.

...and finally...

The DP_I.  Well packaged in dense foam, the player is all that's in the box (at least, mine)...

If you have seen the engineering prototype on the LD Web Site, this will look very familiar.  
Don't worry about how the screen looks, I haven't removed the clear vinyl cover yet.

A lot of speculation on different sites suggested the DP_I would be a monster.  With it next to my Cowon J3, reality is a bit kinder.

A little bit taller?  Yes.  Thicker?  Definitely...

Oh yeah!  It's thick!  However...

My Cowon J3 with it's leather case is just about the same size.

Now, to the DP_I itself...

No Serial Number...I guess I'm special...
wink_face.gif

With 8GB of flash memory on-board, you need to have some SD cards available if you have a larger audio library.  The LD_I will support up to 32GB SDHC cards.  SDXC 64GB SD cards are not supported, but with the cost, are you really surprised?  A 32GB SD card is about a third the price of a 64GB SDXC card (at the time of writing).  The hold button will come in handy to prevent accidental pressing of the front buttons.

Headphone Out and Line Out.  Both function as optical digital S/DPIF input/output (Headphone-Out jack as Digital Optical output, Line-Out jack as Digital Optical input).  Oh yeah, for the record, Google Translate sucks for Chinese. 
tongue_smile.gif

And let's not forget the USB port which does reportedly allow you to hook up and play from external storage (oh yeah, I will be testing that one...
biggrin.gif
).

Not content with only checking out the outside...

I do believe there is a battery in that there player!
wink_face.gif
 How long it lasts is the real question...

Sorry, not the best picture, but here is the removable/swappable headphone amp.  I believe the micro switches are for gain settings.

Another fuzzy picture, but I wanted to show you the headphone amp is attached to the main pcb by two 8-pin sockets (like the jumper pins in your computer)

The battery is removable 
L3000.gif
 thus, replaceable.

I wish I had a better camera to get close-ups...but, here's the headphone amp again...

and the back with the pins (One note: it's a bear to figure out which direction to plug the amp back in...very easy to do it backward).  On the front of the amp there are two labels (CON3 and CON4).  The main pcb plugs have the same labels.  Make sure you match them up when re-installing the amp.

The main pcb in all it's glory!  Note the amp sockets on the bottom.

Close-up of the bottom via a crappy camera...
frown.gif

...and of the top...

...and catching the middle as well.

As best as I could make out, all the chips in the player are the same as currently listed on the Little Dot Web Site for the DP_I specs, so there's no surprise there.

A word about the fit and finish: I believe this will also be available in black in the future (since several sites show it that way), so those allergic to Bare Aluminum Color will not suffer.
wink_face.gif
  The DP_I is not the most stylish DAP I've ever seen, but I am a function over form type person...and it's not butt-ugly either.  (6 Aug 2011 Update: Refer to my comments at the end of the post...let's just say that the player's appearance has grown on me. ...especially in black! 
wink_face.gif
)  Choosing to make the enclosure out of aluminum instead of plastic presents some challenges.  It really is light without the battery, but when installed, the battery gives it some heft.  It's heavier than my Cowon.  Some may be concerned over the size, but I lived in the age when pocket calculators literally stuffed the pocket.  That's what the DP_I strikes me as.  I would consider it portable, but not something I might carry around in a pocket with earbuds.  Durability is another question.  There was initially some concern about the screen...I saw some forum posts that suggested the screen is very delicate (it is not a touch screen) and prone to damage.  The DP_I that I received has protective glass covering the screen.  The enclosure's aluminum feels softer than "aircraft grade" meaning it appears to be easier to scratch and dent (sorry, but I do not intend to test it).  Also, be careful with the backplate when removed, it appears to be easy to bend.  Lastly, the back edges of the enclosure feel a bit unfinished.  After the final machining, somebody needs to go over the edges with a bit of emery cloth to smooth and round them.  To me, these are not deal-breaking criticisms, just suggestions for improving the player. (6 Aug 2011 Update: please see my comments below the newly added Black DP_I pictures as the comments in blue have been addressed)

I have been a customer of Little Dot for some time and I have seen their products develop.  I didn't expect them to deliver the consummate DAP, but I expected exactly what I got as far as the hardware goes; solid build and good quality that will be refined over time into a truly excellent product.  I'm sure Sword Yang at Little Dot has a vision of where he would like to take digital audio (as referenced by the hint of a tabletop DAP in a Chinese forum).  I believe he has made a daring step into the world of digital audio and intends to take Audiophiles and Head-Fi'ers like us along for the ride.  Say what you will about the sudden explosion of Chinese DAP makers, I really think the folks behind them are trying hard to deliver a quality product that appeals to a very demanding crowd.  Time will tell who will succeed.  I hope David, Sword Yang and the folks at Little Dot are in the group that does.
Next up (it's charging as I write this), can I get this to work without documents and if so, how does it sound?...
popcorn.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

The opinions expressed here are HK's only...YMMV...
P.S. - One thing I would like to see made available is a nice leather case for transporting the DP_I.

6 August 2011 Update:  Little Dot was kind enough to allow me to swap my silver DP_I for a Black on and I must admit that it looks WAY cooler! 
biggrin.gif

Presenting:

Conservatively designed and not ostentatious at all...

The Black DP_I shows that two of my critiques were unfounded; the finish on the edges of the enclosure surrounding the rear access plate are much smoother and the screen cover looks to be made of "Gorilla Glass" (based on the logo on the side of the glass).  I discovered the silver player had the same protective glass but I couldn't really see it well.

Bottom line:  Little Dot has produced a fine looking Digital Audio Player!  Please read on as I discover more about its functionality...

beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 43
Ah...well...here we are...

I have to come right out and say this, I am a bit disappointed that the DP_I firmware seems to be as unfinished as it is.  The hardware is solid and it plays music, but that's what a Digital Audio Player (DAP) is supposed to do.  It's got features and versatility that other DAP makers can only dream of (or at least have yet to implement).  But it is let down by some functional glitches that can probably be resolved with more work on the firmware.

Soapbox Time: 

Before you read the above statement and run screaming from this review, please hear me out...  Little Dot is an excellent electronics company that have put out some high-quality Headphone Amps, DACs, and even a Digital CD Transport.  The reason they haven't ended up on the tip of every head-fi'ers tongue is because they are pretty low-key with their marketing.  They consistently strive to release quality products and make design improvements should issues arise.  I have seen the result of their efforts in several of the Little Dot amps I have owned over the years as they dealt with heat issues, resistor burn-outs, etc.  Now they have the Mark I through VIII series that addressed the issues of past amps and are well-liked by their owners.  Little Dot has continued to deliver solid products at an excellent value.

I guess that's why I don't think you should abandon the idea of owning a DP_I.  One: Their customer service is outstanding (we are talking Schiit and Audez'e level).  Two: They have shown dedication to improving their products.  ...and, Three: Once the firmware bugs are worked out, this will be a "kick-ass" DAP. 

If you own a Portable Media Player by that has a A**le, SON*, S*nsa, or other big company name on it, you probably don't concern yourself with firmware updates very much.  However, there is a second-tier media player market that ends to focus on a less mainstream and more enthusiast-level clientele.  DAP manufacturers narrow their focus even more...attempting to cater to the more eclectic audiophile crowd that wants to enjoy music on a different level...you know, the one where people spends hundreds of dollars on high-end sources, IEMs and headphones, and discuss ad nauseum the merits of flac, apple lossless, or monkey audio (ok, Ogg and that "analog" stuff too).  We are a demanding (and very impatient) crowd that look for perfection in every product a company makes, and tend to be unforgiving when it doesn't measure up to "our" standards.

Of course if that were exclusively the case, then Cowon, HiFiMan, Archos, and other companies wouldn't have survived.  But there are users that see the potential of these companies' products and are willing to endure (and even enjoy) their evolution through firmware updates.  Designing solid hardware is apparently a lot easier than designing the "operating system" to make all the features work properly.  If you think Little Dot is behind the power curve in this respect, then consider Cowon; who's J3 is an outstanding and polished product, while the newer D3 is plagued by bugs, lag, and doesn't even support gapless playback (while the J3, S9, and even the D2 do).  However, Cowon is continuing to refine the firmware, squash bugs, and introduce improvements to make the D3 the player it should be.  Based on their past efforts, I expect this from Little Dot as well.

Off the soapbox and on to a disclaimer:

I still do not have the documents yet, so some of the things I consider as bugs, may actually be some yet-to-be-documented "feature".  Fortunately, it wasn't difficult to learn to operate but I will forward this part of the review to Little Dot to get feedback on whether I am highlighting a "glitch" or a "feature".  When I finally receive the documentation, I will address any features the documents show that I may have missed.

And now... 

From the Little Dot Web Site, the DP_I has the following features:

Processor: ARM926EJ
DAC: Wolfson WM8740
Digital Transceiver: Wolfson WM8804
Amplification: AD8397 (with the High-Impedance Drive Module)
SD Card Input (maximum 32GB)
Supported Formats: MP3, WAV, MWA, FLAC, APE, AAC
USB communication port (for firmware upgrade or read music files from external USB disk)
3.5mm headphone output jack
3.5mm LINE OUT
3.5mm optical digital S/PDIF input (line-out jack with integrated DAC)
3.5mm optical digital S/DPIF output (headphone jack and integrated, can drive an external DAC)
digital volume control
Replaceable headphone amp module:
a) High impedance (large headphones) drive module
b) low impedance (IEM) drive module
5-button control panel touch-operation of pure
LCD-screen vertical installation
3600 mA / H 755585 lithium-polymer battery (life 15 hours or more)
CNC machining aluminum alloy casing is made from a single aluminum core
Size: 115 (L) * 60 (W) * 20 (thickness) mm

I received the high impedance (large headphones) drive module installed in my unit.  The OpAmp is the Analog Devices AD8397, which I have had in other amps and am familiar with the sound.
My gear consists of the DP_I, Little Dot (LD) DAC_I, LD MK IV SE, Schiit Lyr, and Audez'e LCD-2s.

To turn on and off the player, press and hold the play/pause button for 5 seconds.  The player boots to the main menu that consists of "Resume Play"; "All Music"; "My Favorites"; "Folders"; and "System Settings".  The Resume Play function is obvious.  All Music shows the tracks in the on-board 8GB of flash memory only (no music from the SD card...not good).  Even when you select and play music from the SD card, none of it shows up in the All Music directory.  Selecting a track in All Music and holding down the Menu key gives the option to add it to My Favorites, which is where you build a playlist (I do not know if the DP_I supports playlists built from computer apps).  The Folders button will allow you to access music from the on-board flash memory and the SD card.  If you select a track and hold the Menu button, it gives you the option to delete the track.  So right now, because the music on the SD card doesn't show up in the All Music directory, there is no way to save a track to your favorites.  Also, the All Music folder is sorted by track number only (that means if you have ten albums, the folder will show ten track 1's, then ten track 2's, etc...) with no way to customize the sort.  Music library management definitely needs to be addressed in the firmware!

System Settings lets you adjust Display Brightness, Backlight Timer, Language, Screen Background, and Auto Shutdown Time.  There are few additional settings you need to be aware of; "Restorable" is a soft reset button that restores defaults.  It's a good thing it prompts a yes or no, because when I said yes, it reset the interface language to Chinese!  I had to hit a few buttons to get it back to English.  In the language section, there is an option for the language of the "Code Page".  I can only assume it has something to do with the firmware.  The problem is, I don't know how to access the firmware version information or update it when a new one is available.  Little Dot will need to make access to firmware a priority if they want to see customers stay with their DAPs.  The last section of System Settings is an option to turn off the incoming optical feed to the player's DAC (that would allow bypassing the audio player apparently).  It's a good measure to save power but doesn't address the annoyance of the optical output (in the headphone jack) being on all the time.  So if you are using the Line-Out to a separate amplifier, you have a little red light glowing in the dark.  The setting needs to be expanded to be able to shut off the optical output as well (which will extend battery life I am sure).  Another issue that I think firmware could fix.

There is an issue with menu settings.  When you try to turn a feature on or off (like turning on and off the optical input), the button doesn't "stick".  If I turn something "off" in a setting and go back to it, it should still show "off".  Right now, you can't tell if the feature is on or off because the button still shows the default setting when you go back to it.

Loading music was easy, I just plugged the DP_I usb cable into my laptop and it identified two external storage devices (on-board flash and SD card).  I copied music in flac format to both so I could test how well the two integrate (they don't right now...firmware fix please!).  No other folders show up in the two directories, so I just copied and pasted several album folders to each.  Once I unplugged and started the DP_I, it built a library of folders and files the other menu buttons could (mostly) access.  Again, there is no integration between the two directories right now, so if you want to access music from the SD card, you need to back out and go to the folders button, then navigate to the tracks you want.  Ideally, the SD card and flash memory should function as a single storage drive. 

Playtime:

I am listening to my Audez'e LCD-2s directly from the Headphone-Out with my LCD-2s and the music sounds great!  I have also run the Line-Out to my Schiit Lyr amp and it sounds even better (being a full-size external amp)!  Music is the DP_I's strength, its reason for being, and it does it well!  Both the Wolfson 8740 DAC and the AD8397 OpAmp are used in a lot of quality players, amps, and DACs so I really shouldn't have to sell you on how good the DP_I sounds.  I am comfortable listening to music from either output (the Line-Out lets my Lyr show its own quality).  The sound quality of the music is excellent, just be aware that the player's EQ settings affect Line-Out as well as Headphone-Out.

One of the issues that needs to be addressed is no gapless playback.  David ZheZhe from Little Dot said it was planned so I can only assume it's in the works.  The gap is very small, but the player also has an annoying tendency to fade out the last tenth of a second or so of a track, then lose the first tenth of a second or so fading in the next track.  I have several albums including ELO's "Time", where the transition from "Prelude" to "Twilight" is totally seamless and the fade-out-gap-fade-in on the DP_I is extremely obvious.  Firmware to the rescue!

There are a couple of other glitches I need to highlight as well.  The first is pause/previous track/next track.  On most players, when I pause a song and press the previous track button once, it moves to the beginning of the same song and stays paused.  A second press should take me to the beginning of the previous track and stay paused.  Right now, the DP_I immediately takes you to the previous track and starts playing.  It's the same with the next track, it automatically starts playing.  It is troublesome because sometimes I just want to pause and go to the beginning of the same track to re-listen, but now I can't.

The other is the EQ settings.  I had some advanced warning that they were twitchy from the Chinese language forums.  There is a definite pattern to adjusting the settings, but I can't fully figure it out.  When you select "Normal", the EQ should be flat with no processing.  If I press it twice, the volume is decreased for some reason.  Press it again and the volume comes back.  Try to adjust the volume manually after adjusting the EQ, the volume will either increase or decrease unexpectedly (It's not ear-blowing but it will wake you up).  There are two EQ categories reached by holding down the menu button when a song is playing; "MSEQ" and "EQ Set".  MSEQ has "3D", "Bass", and "LEQ" settings, while EQ Set has "Normal", "MSEQ", "Rock", Pop", "Classic", "Bass", and "Jazz".  The problem is that "MSEQ" and "EQ Set" appear to affect each other; If your EQ Set is "Normal" and you adjust the MSEQ settings, it still alters the sound.  I would think that the only EQ Setting that MSEQ should affect is "MSEQ" (yes it's confusing because MSEQ is the name of one of the EQ categories AND also a EQ setting).  Lastly, if you choose a EQ preset (except Normal or MSEQ), not only is the sound changed but the volume is reduced significantly.  The documentation will have to be very clear just how to manage your EQ settings, but I think most of these are glitches that need to be addressed in firmware.

Preliminary Findings:

I know I haven't reviewed all the DP_I's features right now (battery life and optical functions), but this seems like a good spot to take a break (and hopefully get some updates).  I know I have been critical of the issues the DP_I has, but I believe they will be addressed.  I mentioned in a post below that I thought the DP_I was a diamond in the rough, and I still do.  If Little Dot would update the firmware to address the following:

1. Music Library and Memory Management for both on-board flash and SD card
2. Stabilize and fix the EQ Settings (maybe add a custom Equalizer)
3. Stabilize the volume issues
4. Pause/Playback Functions
5. Gapless Playback
6. Setting to turn off optical output as well as input (See 6 Aug 2011 Update Below)
7. Firmware version access (and update ability)

Then their diamond can truly shine.

*UPDATE:  I was able to try out the optical ports this evening.  Running the SPDIF out from my Toshiba laptop, I plugged into the DP_I at the Optical-In (Line-Out jack) and plugged my headphones into the headphone out.  I used MediaMonkey to control the music.  All volume and equalization had to be done on the laptop because the player wouldn't let you access the "Resume Play" button (that's where you access the on-board EQ).  It played just fine as a pass-through DAC, but the volume wasn't as strong as if you were using the DAP itself as the source.  I need more time to experiment.

To use the DP_I as a digital source, I took the Optical-Out and plugged it in my LD DAC_I.  I then took the output and plugged it into my Schiit Lyr and everything worked great.  The volume control on the DP_I was disabled so I had to use the Lyr's volume knob (which is what I would do anyway).  The sound quality was considerably better when bringing a full-size DAC and amp into the mix.  The DP_I works just fine as a source.  I did notice that the EQ Presets (except Normal and MSEQ) did affect the sound (including the previously noted decrease in volume).  With the Lyr, I didn't use EQ anyway and the music sounded just fine at the Normal setting.

Optical appears to work well on the DP_I and should make a lot of folks very happy.  While I mentioned the Optical-Out light stays on when not in use, I just noticed my laptop does the same thing even when SPDIF is disabled.  However, there is a flap inside the jack that blocks the light when it's unplugged.  If the folks at Little Dot can't give us the option to disable the output in the settings, can they please use a headphone jack that hides the light when it's unplugged?  Or at least give us some sort of plug cover we can use?  Either solution would be great (at least until I manage to lose the cover).  6 Aug 2011 Update: One of my critiques was the optical-out (in the headphone-out jack) stays lit even if you aren't using it (like when you are listening from the line-out jack).  However, I have discovered an inexpensive solution that will protect all three jacks.  I hope that Little Dot may be able to obtain some and resolve this issue at little cost.  I found mine on ebay...

Headphone Jack Cover: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260740176914&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1888wt_1163

USB Connector Cover:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260813832302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1906wt_1163

More to follow...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 43
Battery life on the little dot website estimates 15 hours. with a 3600mA battery on the engnieering sample
The 4000mA battery in the final run play should bring it up to 16-17. which makes me wonder about the amp used. the Clip lasts 15 hours with a battery 1/8 the size

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:
Battery life on the little dot website estimates 15 hours. with a 3600mA battery on the engnieering sample
The 4000mA battery in the final run play should bring it up to 16-17. which makes me wonder about the amp used. the Clip lasts 15 hours with a battery 1/8 the size

Power management is a big issue.  Sansa has had a lot more experience at it than Little Dot.  But, there are other things to consider as well.  I am finding that the optical out (through the headphone out jack) is always on even when you are using headphones.  I'm pretty sure the player is probably keeping power to the SD card in case it needs to be accessed.  Lastly, Sansa's Clip is pretty small so they may have all the functions (amp, dac, player) integrated on a single chip, where the DP_I is using discreet components, which only adds to the power drain.  All IMHO, of course.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 43
I am almost ready to post part two of my impressions.  I hope to have it posted this weekend.  I am finding the DP_1 a "diamond in the rough" with excellent sound, but a lot of annoying little glitches (let's just say setting the EQ is a real challenge).  I don't think all the problems are due to me not having the documents, because this is a pretty straight forward player.  

The good news is I think most everything can be solved by firmware updates.  It will all depend on how dedicated Little Dot is about fixing the issues.  I know other DAP companies had to work out the bugs in their firmware...it took Cowon several updates before their D2 could support gapless.  Hopefully, Little Dot will be responsive to the feedback their customers provide and make rapid updates because the DP_1 has a lot of potential.  It just needs a bit of refinement...

Time will tell...more to come, soon...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:
WOWW..Fiio X3 alternative!!
biggrin.gif
is there any online website selling this DAP yet? china website maybe?

You can e-mail David ZheZhe at "little.tube@gmail.com" and he should be able to help you.  I saw a Chinese site showing it for sale a few weeks ago, but Google isn't cooperating right now.
If I find the site, I will post it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:
how much is the price estimation?

edit: just found the answer from mp4nation. it's around USD500. Gee..

Little Dot's Web Site lists the DP_I for $429.00.  The price is a bit steep, but how many DAPs support Optical-In/Out in addition to Line-Out and Headphone-Out?
The hardware is very versatile.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back