Little Dot 2++ Tube Rolling
Apr 11, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #451 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by BombayTheIndian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered more than one pair, so I have extras... Anyone want to trade for some Brimar 9D6 tubes? Come on, don't hold out now!

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of budget tube-fi. I definitely agree that this thread has been quite an education!

Secondly, I don't have any Brimar 9D6s, but if any of your extra pairs of 6c19s are hum free, I'll gladly pay for em! I've gone through 3 pairs, two of which had nasty hum that was just waaay too loud, and the last one has noticeable hum when nothing's playing and in really quiet passages, so I can live with it, but it still bugs me. Although I may just buy one of those sets of 8 on eBay, there's bound to be at least 2 hum-free tubes in there!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #452 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by BombayTheIndian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Furthermore, I want to say great job to everyone who's been tube rolling with the LD2++. I've been studying (aka stalking) this thread for a couple of weeks now, and I'm proud to say that I learned more from this single thread than I've learned from college.

I am very pleased you have found this thread so helpful, and made a post! That's one less lurker! LOL. It does seem like there is much love for this little amp, me included. Also I believe this has now become the official 'Welcome to Little Dot 2++!' thread, so Welcome! I was going to say sorry about the wallet but I see by your signature it's to late for that!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #453 of 658
Still burning in my Uly 6c19n-b. Now have about 10 hours on them, mostly movies - watching thru the Superman series on HD-DVD.
Crackling is gone, so that good. The bad is I relocated my projector and somehow got a cable around me generic cv4015 drivers. Bent one pretty bad. But it still works.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #454 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to say sorry about the wallet but I see by your signature it's to late for that!
600smile.gif

The best part of owning LD2-series is that you don't have to be
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #455 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best part of owning LD2-series is that you don't have to be
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL! You're in fine form, tonight, Gaso.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #456 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Secondly, I don't have any Brimar 9D6s, but if any of your extra pairs of 6c19s are hum free, I'll gladly pay for em! I've gone through 3 pairs, two of which had nasty hum that was just waaay too loud, and the last one has noticeable hum when nothing's playing and in really quiet passages, so I can live with it, but it still bugs me. Although I may just buy one of those sets of 8 on eBay, there's bound to be at least 2 hum-free tubes in there!
biggrin.gif

Uh oh, I hope I don't have any problem with my pairs. The seller said that they're NOS and he tested them, so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
I'll let you (and everyone) know how they sound, though, and if they're both good, I'll gladly sell it to you! I think all of the 8-10 sets on ebay right now are Uly's or 6c19s v series, though.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #457 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to say sorry about the wallet but I see by your signature it's to late for that!
600smile.gif

rain_uk, thanks for your concern in regards to my wallet! I'm trying to keep all of the costs down by doing thorough research on everything, I feel like I've made some sound decisions so far

Ex: Purchasing the LD2++ over other amps in the $500 range.
Score: My Wallet-1, Sadness over being broke-0

I think it also helps that I work at *unnamed electronics retailer*, and receive employee accommodations on certain items. I got my Denon cd transport for over $150 off retail price, get all my interconnects for roughly 1/3 the ticket prices, etc.
Score: My Wallet-2, Sadness over being broke-0

Final result, though: After purchasing everything that I have now;
My Wallet-2, Sadness over being (overall) broke-1

Damn it. At least my wallet's still in the lead.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #458 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this sucks. Received a pair of Russian 6c19pi power tubes today. One of them is bad. Not totally dead, but there's a really annoying hum/buzz that pretty much ruins the experience. Maybe I'll try some of these eBay tubes (mine came from www.thetubestore.com).

On the plus side, I felt that the sound with the new Mullards was maybe a bit too warm and bloomy in the midrange (though the extra detail and clarity is simply fantastic), so I took off the jumpers to see if the perceived dryness I had heard before would balance things out. Bingo!
biggrin.gif
Gone is the bloat, but not that liquidity. Add in the extra control in the bass, and barring any drastic changes from tube burn in, I think I'm set!

email them and they'll replace it. I had the same exact problem and they sent me a new tube right away.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #460 of 658
Hmmmmm, I decided to let my friend use my LD2++ for a while, and after a few days he started reporting that there was a weird humming noise. I had him swap the svet 6c19-b's with the Chinese stock tubes and he said the problem went away. I wish this had happened while I had it so I knew exactly what was going on.

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #462 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by grinchy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't had any humming with my Uly -b's but I've only tried two of the six still with me. RIght now I'm so happy with the amp, it is totally quiet (and has been).

x 2.

Never had any hum, pop or hiss issues with this little amp. Tried it on stock tubes plus generic CV4015 and Svetlana 6C19P.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #465 of 658

Users who are viewing this thread

Back