Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda
Nov 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #166 of 206
I say buy the kid beats, sure they aren't the best but they are what he wants for xmas. Getting what you've always wanted for xmas is such an amazing feeling as a kid, life's too short to tell your kid what type of headphones he should be listening to. Maybe in a few years he will ask to listen to some of your stuff.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #168 of 206
He's 11. Peer pressure is massive to kids, so he'll probably agree that HD600s or whatever are better, and then still want Beats. Besides, who at that age, who wants to be the dork with an amp strapped to their iPhone? Unless ofc you can convince him that's cool.

But then again, peer pressure.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #169 of 206
Quote:
He's 11. Peer pressure is massive to kids, so he'll probably agree that HD600s or whatever are better, and then still want Beats. Besides, who at that age, who wants to be the dork with an amp strapped to their iPhone? Unless ofc you can convince him that's cool.
But then again, peer pressure.

Forget OFC, the only way to be cool is to use 7N UP-OCC SPC Litz braided in XLCPE.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #172 of 206
Quote:
LOL!

But in all seriousness, I agree with Parall3l. I don't see beats around that much anymore - I think the hype around them is dying down?

Don't count on it.  I still see quite a lot of them around here.  I though people were joking about them being fashion accessories until I've seen them worn without the cables in, and in every position but on the ears.  Granted other brands have been making headway. 

If OP will be buying his offspring a Beats headphones... for the love of god... NOT a Solo.  Had the dubious honor of comparing them to my Sennheiser Amperiors... Let's say that the Amperiors do sound twice as expensive as the solos. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #173 of 206
It's amazing how you can take something butt ugly and just talk about it until people are paying $300 to strap it to their face

Remember that Ren and Stimpy skit where they'd advertise "log" and show all the awesome ways buying a log would change your life?

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #174 of 206
Quote:

Don't count on it.  I still see quite a lot of them around here.  I though people were joking about them being fashion accessories until I've seen them worn without the cables in, and in every position but on the ears.  Granted other brands have been making headway. 

If OP will be buying his offspring a Beats headphones... for the love of god... NOT a Solo.  Had the dubious honor of comparing them to my Sennheiser Amperiors... Let's say that the Amperiors do sound twice as expensive as the solos. 

only twice? the Solo even sounds worse than the HD202 
its absolute garbage

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #175 of 206
Quote:
only twice? the Solo even sounds worse than the HD202 
its absolute garbage

The solo are about on par with the really cheap no name IEMs that look like knock off Senn CX300s. Bassy, with no mids or highs and really badly constructed. If you must buy him beats, get him the studios.
If he must have style, get him something like the B&W P5, something with a big, expensive and well known brand name. The Skullcandy Aviators are pretty good as well. Worth the £90 I see them selling for.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #180 of 206
Quote:
Just have your brother read this thread and show him how buying stupid rapper headphones leads to erectile dysfunction and caffeine addiction

I genuinely laughed at this!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And on a better note guys, the decision has been made, and it's a relief!

Here's what I got him to try, all in one go, about an hour listening time:

AKG Q701, k550, k495 NC, Grado sr60i, Sennheiser HD25/Amperior, Momentum, Denon AH-D110, AH-D2000, Beats (solo/HD, studio, mixr, pro), Monster (diesel, inspiration, and the infamous Diamond Tears -_-), HiFiMAN HE-300, HE-400, Koss Portapro, Marshall Major, Focal Spirit One, B&W P5/P3, Shure SRH-440/840/940/750DJ, and PSB M4U 2.

Things he has yet to hear that I would have liked him to hear:
V-Moda m80, m100, audio technica m50, esw9, beyerdynamic DT770/custom ones, the new Ultimate Ears (ue600?), and Ultrasone Pro 550.

Out of all the headphones he tried, his absolute favorite in terms of sound were, to my surprise, the Amperior. He also really liked both Hifiman's, the AKG k550, the momentums, the D2000's and the PSB. Everything in this selection is bass tilted, besides the AKG and the HE-300's to a certain extent.

Now comes in the looks factor. The diamond tears still tempted him a lot, as were the mixr. But I told him: "What are headphones for?". I told him if the amperiors to him were what he liked most, that's fine by me. The blue amperiors look cools imo. Unfortunately, the clamp really hurt his head, so I told him it won't be worth it in the long run. His second choice in terms of SQ was the HE-400, but they're too bulky and he wants to drive straight from the ipod, and be able to bring it to school and in the bus. The PSB's came after that, but again comfort was an issue and it's a heavy headphone for a young kid. Same for the Denons; inconvenient and bulky.

So it comes down to the K550 and Momentums; two comfortable and good sounding phones in regards to their competitors. No Monster, nor Beats! He has a week to make a decision between both of them, he can factor the looks all he wants between these two.. I don't mind. If he doesn't make the decision, he's leaving it up to me to decide as it's his christmas gift, I guess he trusts me to make a good choice
tongue.gif

What's ironic, is that knowing my brother, I had a premonition that if he didn't choose beats, the momentum or k550 would be his choices in regards to style. I'm glad my wishful thinking came true!

So that's that, he's getting one of either the AKG K550 or the Senn Momentums. I'll let you guys know which of the two it will be next week!

Thanks for all for the advices, opinions, critiques, etc ... and the humor!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back