Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda
Nov 23, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #151 of 206
Drinking an energy drink every day is no more dangerous to your health than drinking a cup of coffee. Although coffee may provide certain health benefits that energy drinks do not. The point is that they are a tool that can be used responsibly or irresponsibly. What business is it of yours if someone had a bad night of sleep and needs a pick me up at work? 

Would you make fun of a person with a heart condition that requires an automatic defibrillator to "keep them going?" Depression and bipolar disorders are serious medical conditions that can be treated successfully with therapy and certain types of medication. I can attest to the success of such treatments. 

Again I ask, what business is it of yours or anyone else what it takes for someone to "keep going" as long as it's not harming you or the user? 

What about such things do you think honestly makes the world "****"? 

It's funny that in tribal cultures where profit-driven economics (and, in the process, marketing) don't exist, depression is basically unheard of.

I'm not arguing about the actual necessity of such things, in this society, everything that I have mentioned has its place. I will argue that the way these things are marketed is detrimental to our psychological well-being. Commercials keep telling us that we need stuff that we might not necessarily have a good use for. There is this constant voice reminding us to buy stuff so that entirely unrelated consequences can occur.

"Choosy moms choose Jif!" "Does this mean that if I choose Skippy, I'm not a choosy parent? Well, I certainly want to be a good parent, so I'll take the Jif."

"Every Kiss begins with Kay." "You're saying that if I buy her jewelry from your store, I'll have a shot at a relationship? Count me in."

"Taco Bell, because sometimes, you have to Live Mas (more)" "Well, living life to the fullest is a good thing. I suppose I'll try Taco Bell."

This style of marketing plays to our personal insecurities (parenting, relationships, and even quality of life) in an attempt to sell a product. Beats does the same thing. The "buy Beats to be cool" narrative plays up to our own personal desires for acceptance and understanding.

In reality, all of this stuff is arbitrary. My mom buys whatever peanut butter is on sale, and she's pretty choosy. My grandfather certainly didn't court my grandmother with a Kay diamond, and they have been together for more than 50 years. I know a lot of people who can't stand Taco Bell, and they seem to be holding up just fine. And a lot of the coolest and most respected people I know do not own Beats.

Want to be a choosy mom? Do research to make informed choices about your children's diet, education, medical care, social activities, and environment. Really want that long-lasting and powerful relationship? It's gonna take a lot more than a diamond. Want to live your life to the fullest? Treat every day as the important gift that it is. Want to be respected and appreciated? Appreciate others and do respectable things.

Buying Jif, Kay, Taco Bell or Beats won't help you reach these goals, though. That one's on you.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #152 of 206
Quote:

Jesus Christ dude. Chill out. 

As an aside, energy drinks, erectile dysfunction pills, antidepressants and interactive touch screen displays in cars all have their place.

Have you ever had to work an 8 hour shift in retail on 4 hours of sleep? An energy drink is like a cup of coffee and some may prefer the taste. 

ED pills? Erectile dysfunction is a recognized medical problem. Sexual health should be important to everyone. So why you're dumping on ED pills is beyond me. 

Do you take antidepressants? I do. And they have helped save my life. So it may be wise to check yourself before you make any more foolish, uneducated claims. 

i do agree with your statement but i do have to say that.... i don't know how beats helps as individuals. but i do think they have affected the industry in a negative and positive way though (tarnishing the industry name but also bringing more consumers into the light of the industry)

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #153 of 206
Quote:
Drinking an energy drink every day is no more dangerous to your health than drinking a cup of coffee. Although coffee may provide certain health benefits that energy drinks do not. The point is that they are a tool that can be used responsibly or irresponsibly. What business is it of yours if someone had a bad night of sleep and needs a pick me up at work? 

Would you make fun of a person with a heart condition that requires an automatic defibrillator to "keep them going?" Depression and bipolar disorders are serious medical conditions that can be treated successfully with therapy and certain types of medication. I can attest to the success of such treatments. 

Again I ask, what business is it of yours or anyone else what it takes for someone to "keep going" as long as it's not harming you or the user? 

What about such things do you think honestly makes the world "****"? 

In forum you share opinions and knowledge. Since i have an opinion, this is certainly of my business, the hole thread is based on, and asks for opinions.
Of course i am talking about irresponsible use of the above, even though i maybe did not point it out. Responsible use is good use, but still preventing is better than curing. When i say 'keep going' it refers to an underlying problem in human nature/society and therefore the need of using medication and etc. Certainly not people who really needs some kind of treatment because of the way they are born etc.

I don't like what the world has evolved into, and i don't like how marketing and the consumer society is making some of us 'sheeps'.

Such 'things' dont make the world ****, but in some cases the use of such things make the world ****, not because of responsible use, but because of irresponsible use and the necessarity of the usage due to marketing and society, and the individuals interaction with before mentioned.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #154 of 206
Just have your brother read this thread and show him how buying stupid rapper headphones leads to erectile dysfunction and caffeine addiction

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #157 of 206
Heya guys! My OLDER brother at 18 years old is in the same boat, planing to buy Beats Solo HD with his own cash? I don't want him to waste his hard earned money on a pair of over-priced (and so and so) headphone for $200. Any good on-ear/IEM headphone that have good sound & stylish(stylish as his 2nd propriety after SQ)at around the same price as Solo HD? He like clear sound & a little boost on bass drivng directly out of his iPhone 4S. He tried Solo HD, AIAIAI Track & the Sony MDR-ZX700. He said he much prefer Solo HD for the sound. ZX700 sound muddy to him? As for AIAIAI Track, he just say "wow!" He didn't respond when I ask him "How it sound compared to Solo HD?"

Currently, I'm looking at Kplisch Image One II or the S4I. Any better HP out there? He need isolation since he's using it while studying.

:)

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #158 of 206
Heya guys! My OLDER brother at 18 years old is in the same boat, planing to buy Beats Solo HD with his own cash? I don't want him to waste his hard earned money on a pair of over-priced (and so and so) headphone for $200. Any good on-ear/IEM headphone that have good sound & stylish(stylish as his 2nd propriety after SQ)at around the same price as Solo HD? He like clear sound & a little boost on bass drivng directly out of his iPhone 4S. He tried Solo HD, AIAIAI Track & the Sony MDR-ZX700. He said he much prefer Solo HD for the sound. ZX700 sound muddy to him? As for AIAIAI Track, he just say "wow!" He didn't respond when I ask him "How it sound compared to Solo HD?"
Currently, I'm looking at Kplisch Image One II or the S4I. Any better HP out there? He need isolation since he's using it while studying.
:)

He preferred the solo than the zx700? That's strange... maybe just let him get the solos then? Or the aiaiai track?

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #159 of 206
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

why not Vmoda?

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #161 of 206
So, your brother is smart, that means you can still educate him with headphones and audiophilia. (is that even a word?) Well, my point is that if you buy him the Beats he will probably stick with them for no longer than a year, or maybe he will love them and will not care about SQ as long as they give him "coolness" and "popularity". My advice is to audition headphones with him and make him like them. For example if you show him a Grado he will say they are ugly as hell, but with time he will like them. Same thing happened to me, I thought Grado's were horrible, but now I love their Retro style.

Personally I've always hated Beats's design, their like Alien starship communicators or something.

Lets hope he will not prefer Beats.

Cheers,

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #162 of 206
Beyer Custom One Pro

V-Moda M-100

V-Moda M-80

AKG K267

Logitech UE6000

Phiaton Moderna MS400

Style without compromise in sound. I would not mind wearing any of these out and about. For a 11 years old, it should be good enough. 
wink_face.gif

Btw I hope you'll report back with his impressions on the headphones he tried and his conclusion. I'm really curious.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #163 of 206
Quote:
The JVC HA-S500 might be a good pick too, and it won't lead to thousands of dollars of debt or crippling sadness. xD

Oh yeah, totally.

In my opinion, this is way enough for a 11 years old. It's a reasonable choice, and as much as I'd be comfortable spending on a pair of headphones for a kid. Besides, we all have to start somewhere, no? That looks to me like a very good place to start. It has good reviews, looks decent and seems well built.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #164 of 206
Quote:
It's funny that in tribal cultures where profit-driven economics (and, in the process, marketing) don't exist, depression is basically unheard of.
I'm not arguing about the actual necessity of such things, in this society, everything that I have mentioned has its place. I will argue that the way these things are marketed is detrimental to our psychological well-being. Commercials keep telling us that we need stuff that we might not necessarily have a good use for. There is this constant voice reminding us to buy stuff so that entirely unrelated consequences can occur.
"Choosy moms choose Jif!" "Does this mean that if I choose Skippy, I'm not a choosy parent? Well, I certainly want to be a good parent, so I'll take the Jif."
"Every Kiss begins with Kay." "You're saying that if I buy her jewelry from your store, I'll have a shot at a relationship? Count me in."
"Taco Bell, because sometimes, you have to Live Mas (more)" "Well, living life to the fullest is a good thing. I suppose I'll try Taco Bell."
This style of marketing plays to our personal insecurities (parenting, relationships, and even quality of life) in an attempt to sell a product. Beats does the same thing. The "buy Beats to be cool" narrative plays up to our own personal desires for acceptance and understanding.
In reality, all of this stuff is arbitrary. My mom buys whatever peanut butter is on sale, and she's pretty choosy. My grandfather certainly didn't court my grandmother with a Kay diamond, and they have been together for more than 50 years. I know a lot of people who can't stand Taco Bell, and they seem to be holding up just fine. And a lot of the coolest and most respected people I know do not own Beats.
Want to be a choosy mom? Do research to make informed choices about your children's diet, education, medical care, social activities, and environment. Really want that long-lasting and powerful relationship? It's gonna take a lot more than a diamond. Want to live your life to the fullest? Treat every day as the important gift that it is. Want to be respected and appreciated? Appreciate others and do respectable things.
Buying Jif, Kay, Taco Bell or Beats won't help you reach these goals, though. That one's on you.

I wont reply to all of this - but ill go for your first point:

you're arguing correlation in the tribe example of depression.

The difference between tribes and us can be correlated to a few things. here's one: They eat completely non processed foods. There are actual studies (unlike the few and far between economic depression studies for tribes) which show that diets rich in fresh foods (such as ones tribes consume) improve chemical and biological pathways within the body with increase serotonin and dopamine uptake, which are the two things which control good feelings in your body.

They also regularly exercise MUCH more - as many of their houses, food, etc etc. require labor to obtain. This is a whole 'nother path of reducing depression.

I didn't read the rest of your post, I'm sure it had some good stuff and some bad - but seriously - research before you go posting crap.

(I have a B.Sc. in Exercise Science with a minor in nutrition and was extremely depressed until I fixed my diet and regularly began exercising around when I turned 20, and I actually have bills and a job now which Ive never worried about before when I was depressed.)

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #165 of 206
rofl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back