Little announcement - FrontPanelExpress is coming out with Front Panel Designer 4.0!
Mar 22, 2010 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Little email I just got that made me very happy.
smily_headphones1.gif
Looking forward to the new tool, and much more so to the reduced standard lead time.

Front Panel Designer New Version 4.0

Dear Front Panel Express Customer,

We are excited to announce the release
of the new version of our free design software Front Panel Designer
on April 12.Front Panel Designer 4.0 will

- offer you even more design flexibility
- allow you to import dxf contours for inner and outer shapes
- reduce our standard lead time to 5 business days
- be compatible with Mac OS X.

These are just some highlights. Stay tuned. We will be sending you a more detailed announcement of what the new version can do when the software is available for downloading.

Best Regards,

Diane Haensel
CEO

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 13
That's cool, I'll be using them if I ever finish my B22. It would be nice if there was some way you could test the layout though. I'm afraid of spending over $400 on panels, then having something not fit, or not be positioned correctly. I shudder at the thought of taking a file, hacksaw or my $40 drill press to brand new FPE panels....

Jeff

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I still have some completed-but-not-yet-sent designs. I wonder if they'll still accept them or if they want them re-created with the updated version... Wel, I'll stay tuned.

Thanks for the info, FA!

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 13
Well, measure and confirm 10 times before ordering the panel. Then again, I've certainly taken a file to my panels before when the size on the IEC and XLR connectors was on the "larger" side of the datasheet tolerance. Sometimes it's better to get all parts and measure using a pair of calipers before designing panels.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtostenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice if there was some way you could test the layout though. I'm afraid of spending over $400 on panels, then having something not fit, or not be positioned correctly.

This may be a stupid question (I've only used FPE once), but can you print a 100% scale printout directly from the program? That would be useful.

Also, hooray for Mac compatibility!

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 13
Yup, I got the email today =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may be a stupid question (I've only used FPE once), but can you print a 100% scale printout directly from the program? That would be useful.

yup. I often lay stuff out in fpe to use as a drilling template.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Really great news.
This part alone make it great news to many around here - "be compatible with Mac OS X".
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back