Literature Fi
Apr 18, 2009 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

randerson3024

Owns the ultimate portable rig
How about a thread (if one already does not exist) to address good books recently read? Here is mine:

419J4VKZ56L.jpg

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 17
Martin Amis... isn't he the son of Kingsley Amis? Lucky Jim is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read it for a few years, but really should pull it off the shelf again. Highly recommended and highly funny.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Martin Amis... isn't he the son of Kingsley Amis? Lucky Jim is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read it for a few years, but really should pull it off the shelf again. Highly recommended and highly funny.

You are correct, he is the son of Kingsley Amis.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Over the last few months I've mainly been reading for my degree, one book which is of particular note though, and well merits investigation by those who enjoy self-education or non-fiction is "Art and Agency" by Alfred Gell. He died before he could complete the published draft but it stands well and is a refreshing interpretation of what constitutes the defination of art.

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over the last few months I've mainly been reading for my degree, one book which is of particular note though, and well merits investigation by those who enjoy self-education or non-fiction is "Art and Agency" by Alfred Gell. He died before he could complete the published draft but it stands well and is a refreshing interpretation of what constitutes the defination of art.

The book sounds interesting. I just ordered it.

On another note; and of course, I should know this from being on Head Fi so much, I didn't realize you were in Scotland. I just spent two weeks in Bute on the way home. I may very well be coming back back through and would like to see more of the country. Perhaps we could get together for a pint if your studies permit.

Bob

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 17
Probably the best book I have ever read. I am going through it the 6th time now, and discover new sides to the characters and story each time through. Truly great.
light-in-august.jpg

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 17
I'm reading Guns, Germs, and Steel right now.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Gell book arrived today, and looks very interesting. Just one question; where the hell are all the naked chicks?

beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 17
Am currently reading 'Prometheus Rising' by Robert Anton Wilson (surprisingly missed this one for the longest time).

Also 'Lotus Sutra', a bunch of Chopra recents that really mesh with me (Jesus..., Buddah..., God is laughing...) and my favorite take on reality:

514fzGaoG-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back