Listening room cleaner
Sep 16, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Patrick82

Banned
I will switch from headphones into loudspeakers and I want a device which cleans the dust between drivers and ears with the press of a button. PS Audio has a CleanWave function that cleans the power supply with the press of a button. I would like this for listening rooms too.

I was reading long ago that the air becomes clean after thunder storms? I will put thunder storm inside my listening room? Is there something called a thunder storm generator? Where can I purchase this device?

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 12
subscribed
popcorn.gif

u can try compressed air in a can.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

FWIH, though, Ionization doesn't remove the pollutants by itself. You need something to trap the particles--usually some kind of HEPA filter. There was actually a warning on my GE Small Room air purifier that leaving the Ion generator on without running the filter unit may result in impurities just attaching themselves to wall, carpet (speaker drivers
eek.gif
), etc...

I used a larger Honeywell portable HEPA filter unit for awhile when my allergies were really bad. It worked was really noisy, though--not conducive to a listening room, unless you "cleansed" the room and then turned the unit off while you were listening. The problem with any kind of active filtration is you have to change the air over a large number of times (I think 6x or more per hour is the HEPA standard?) to get the desired result. "Size of room" x "number of room air changes" x "time factor" can result in the need for a lot of air velocity, which is inherently noisy in at least portable designs. Better options might include adding ionization to your existing house central HVAC unit and/or upgrading to HEPA-grade filters.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

I will put thunder storm inside my listening room? Is there something called a thunder storm generator? Where can I purchase this device?

I dont think you people grasp the Epicness of this statement. Its the greatest idea ever.

Maybe you should hire Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters to build you one and finally blow something up.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 12
A Tesla Coil. You absolutely need a Tesla Coil in your room. Some are for sale, but you can also build your own.

If you can get your hands on a neon sign transformer, you could also build a Jacob's Ladder.

Or maybe just build some plasma tweeters - they will be practically self-cleaning.

popcorn.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 12
Hope it's not too gross, but airborne dust is only half the battle. How about the wax and cilia in the ear canal blocking the sound waves from getting to the eardrum?

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 12
here's a thought, Patrick. You don't actually listen to your speakers, perse -- you listen to air moved by your speakers. What if it wasn't "air"? Would pure oxygen sound better? Pure nitrogen? No one has adequately explored the possibility of other gasses as sound transmission mediums, and it is high time. So long as you have tubed oxygen for yourself and a sealed listening room, I should think you could experiment with any number of different gasses in lieu of air

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 12
Seriously dust (not in the air, but on your gear) is a problem. Especially if you have forced-air heat in your house.

Compressed air (in a can) just blows dust into the air and it settles back on the same components, no solution.

Vaccum is too harsh for a lot of equipemnt. I have a DeWalt hand-held which is superb, but I worry around the wiring.

I think the answer is clearly microfiber cloths, since they actually collect dust like a magnet and then you throw them in the washing machine. You can only wash them so many times before they stop working, but they are cheap. Trouble is, flat cloths and mitts don't work well in the rats nest of cables ... so the answer is to get the ones with lots of little "noodles" sticking out. Perfect, I am very happy with the results.

Best I have found is the "fuzzy wuzzy" brand. Some at Amazon. But here they are on sale for a few more days, free shipping if you buy enough of them:

Microfiber Dusting Mitt. Free Shipping. Lifetime Guarantee. Price: $4.95

BUT A DOLLAR CHEAPER if you start at Amazon and click the related item "external link" !!!

Amazon.com: Fuzzy Wuzzy Microfiber Mitt: Health & Personal Care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back