Listening in the dark
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

ginetto61

1000+ Head-Fier

Hi !

Some days ago I read an old review of Stax HPs.
Let me quote a passage that struck my imagination very much

I found it disorienting to slip the headsets on and be immediately transported into the acoustic of the chapel—which makes me wonder how the characters on Star Trek can handle transporter beams with such aplomb.... 
It sounds silly, but I'm not kidding.
Putting on the Nova Sigs took me so totally into a different space that it was confusing.

Have you ever experienced this kind of sensation, to be transported in the place where the recording was made ?
With which set up and recording ?
I tried even listening in the dark but I never had the pleasure to feel that way.
It must be amazing I think.  A very demanding but also fascinating goal.

Kind regards,
gino

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 86
I do a lot of my listening whilst in bed (ie in the dark) and do find you can '' get into '' the music a lot easier than in daylight with lots of other activities going on (tv on, radio in the background, kids and wife moving about etc). The mere fact that all around you is dark and silent i do think helps with the overall listening experience.... well for me it does.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 86
I had it happen once with a Behexen(black metal) song on my Sansa Fuze/AKG K81 portable rig. I think the major was that I was in the school library alone, perfect silence. So I'm going to say for this to happen you just need to be in a quiet place, be in the right mood, and then just have the dumb luck of having a song go well with the equipment you're using. I've never been to a concert, but when that song played I felt like I was at one.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 86

Thank you very much for your interesting replies !
Your opinions confirm to me that listening in the dark (or blindfold) could be the best way to assess the overall quality of a set up. No visual distractions.
Kind regards,
gino

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 86
I would say most people who enjoy music with headphones would all agree with you; there is nothing quite like shutting the rest of the world off, in the dark, headphones on, your other senses suppressed. 

I've had many a moment like you speak of (admittedly when I've had a few too many... er sherry's), and thats probably why I prefer hp's to speakers. It's more private, its only you and the music. I would also add that it is a good headphone that can do that.. make you forget that you are listening to them.

Erm.. could I just recommend some Pink Floyd at this point..
etysmile.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 86
While I agree that listening in the dark can offer a distraction free listening experience, in the end it all comes down your mental state when you're listening. Your own thoughts are the biggest distraction from the music. Your ability to let go of them and clear your mind determines how readily you plunge into the trance like state that brings on the "one with the music" experience. I, for one, find myself entranced in the music far more often then I did when I first got into this hobby. Why? Firstly, I stopped caring about my gear and learned to appreciate what I have. Letting go of the analytical mindset many of us have towards our gear is crucial to a great listening experience. Afterall, any member of this site no doubt has decent enough gear to reproduce music without major flaws. However, this is easier said than done, as us head-fiers where drawn here in the first place due to our natural inclination to over-analyse things! This is where my second epiphany comes in: I balanced my life out with proper diet and exercise. A solid regiment will improve your ability to focus and your ability to relax as well. With any exercise, in order to excel/progress, you have to be able to overcome the physical and mental strain. "Break through the wall" if you will. This is where exercise teaches you to focus all of your energy on the task at hand. Effectively inducing yourself in a trance-like state to block out the pain. If you happen to be listening to music when you're in this state, jackpot! I've been around enough drugs to know the similarities in the experience, lol. I'm not saying you have to exercise (or take drugs) to enjoy being in "the zone". It's just a means of training yourself to achieve it. I can slip into this state pretty much at will now. Gotta sweep the floor? Headphones -> Zone -> Holy crap what have I been doing for the last hour? Gotta walk somewhere? Same drill. Put your mind into auto pilot and enjoy the experience uninhibited. It literally is like being in a different dimension. Just be careful not to get too detached and walk out in front of a bus, lol!

gs1000.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 86
Definitely a night time bed listener here

It's very nice to lay your body completely to rest and at the same time listen to good music on good quality headphones. As is said before, no distraction. But also the time of the day, resting state.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 86

Quote:
While I agree that listening in the dark can offer a distraction free listening experience, in the end it all comes down your mental state when you're listening. Your own thoughts are the biggest distraction from the music. Your ability to let go of them and clear your mind determines how readily you plunge into the trance like state that brings on the "one with the music" experience. I, for one, find myself entranced in the music far more often then I did when I first got into this hobby. Why? Firstly, I stopped caring about my gear and learned to appreciate what I have. Letting go of the analytical mindset many of us have towards our gear is crucial to a great listening experience. Afterall, any member of this site no doubt has decent enough gear to reproduce music without major flaws. However, this is easier said than done, as us head-fiers where drawn here in the first place due to our natural inclination to over-analyse things! This is where my second epiphany comes in: I balanced my life out with proper diet and exercise. A solid regiment will improve your ability to focus and your ability to relax as well. With any exercise, in order to excel/progress, you have to be able to overcome the physical and mental strain. "Break through the wall" if you will. This is where exercise teaches you to focus all of your energy on the task at hand. Effectively inducing yourself in a trance-like state to block out the pain. If you happen to be listening to music when you're in this state, jackpot! I've been around enough drugs to know the similarities in the experience, lol. I'm not saying you have to exercise (or take drugs) to enjoy being in "the zone". It's just a means of training yourself to achieve it. I can slip into this state pretty much at will now. Gotta sweep the floor? Headphones -> Zone -> Holy crap what have I been doing for the last hour? Gotta walk somewhere? Same drill. Put your mind into auto pilot and enjoy the experience uninhibited. It literally is like being in a different dimension. Just be careful not to get too detached and walk out in front of a bus, lol!

gs1000.gif

Thats some good advise kids, seriously!

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 86
I listen to my music in three ways: background, casual and analytical. Casual listening is just about enjoying the music as a whole, getting into the lyrics, the "hooks" and catchy-ness of the song. My "analytical" listening, if I had to explain is listening to each instrument, visualizing them being played, listening how the different instruments blend to contribute to the song, and most importantly listening to how each note is expressed emotionally. Its not really analytical listening. I don't truly listen analytically often because I get detached and only do It when comparing equipment/headphones.

I almost always listen "analytically" with my eyes closed. I helps me visualize the instruments and get into the music. Every listening session, my heart races and I get a rush of endorphins. Although it sounds easy, it takes a lot of focus to try to concentrate on the different instruments, visualize and get emotionally invested in each note. But every time I do this, I get a rush of visuals and memories (for example ffx soundtrack is amazing).

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 86
Best listening experience of my life - woke up at like 4:30am and couldn't get back to sleep, so threw some music on. I think the combination of darkness, total and utter silence in the house, and well-rested ears made for a borderline spiritual experience. Highly recommended next time you're having trouble sleeping.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 86

Quote:
Best listening experience of my life - woke up at like 4:30am and couldn't get back to sleep, so threw some music on. I think the combination of darkness, total and utter silence in the house, and well-rested ears made for a borderline spiritual experience. Highly recommended next time you're having trouble sleeping.

I battle insomnia so I'll give this a go. Thanks very much for the post!

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 86
Listening at night is probably when I listen to 95% of my music. Not in complete darkness, but in very low light.

When one of your senses is impaired, you other senses benefit greatly. In other words, if there is low light or complete darkness, your vision takes a hit, yet your hearing improves. Not saying you'll hear stuff a mile away, but your brain can interpret stuff you hear a lot better when your vision is slightly or all the way impaired. I've heard countless stories of the extraordinary hearing of blind people, just because their brain doesn't have to process vision, so it focuses on the other senses. I find the same can be true if you do something as little as close your eyes while you listen, or listen at night and in darkness. Your vision becomes second in priority to your hearing, enabling a better listening experience.

The exact reason I find listing MUCH more enjoyable at night. And that is the time all my comparisons or just general listening takes place.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 86
i find this to, music is so much more amazing in the dark. heck i am in the dark right now.
gs1000.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 86

Quote:

gs1000.gif

Totally agree. Thankfully I don't suffer from this. I made it my priority to upgrade my headphones to further enjoy my music. I never analyze, and that's why I hate neutral cans. I love engaging, joyful, FUN sound in headphones that gets me into Metal even more. My first audiophile can, the D2000, was a revelation and one that I can still enjoy, but the money I spent on the D7000 simply increases my enjoyment as music is even more fun to listen to. If it ever got to the point where I start to  sit back and analyze music (as with the T1s I have) rather than truly enjoy it, I'd quit the hobby immediately. Even owning some of the best cans in the world, I can still enjoy music through anything, just less. I've heard people who have stopped listening to entire genres because of recording flaws, and that to me is just
frown.gif
The money spent on audio gear should be to enhance your enjoyment of music and nothing else, unless it is your JOB to analyze audio. As for getting lost in music, I don't even have to try most of the time. Especially when combined with some gaming, I can kill an entire day if I'm not careful
redface.gif

Also, I'm actually listening to Across The Dark right now
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back