Listening fatigue
Oct 27, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #76 of 86
"Noise" begins somewhere.  

Apparently, enough people are listening to the point of getting Neil Young involved.  No matter what we may think of his product, profiting, (or music), we should not despise small beginnings.  

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #77 of 86
  Just wanna ask you guys, do you experience this?

Over a listening session, if I listen to the song (at moderately loud volume) for more than 30 mins, I'll experience something like my ears ain't capturing the details anymore. I will have to put more effort to notice the song itself. It happens faster if I'm listening to rock/louder songs.

How about you? I guess it's called listening fatigue right?

well, you need to stop listening to cds and listen to vinyl.

the reason why commercial cds are too loud is that the record companies got together and mastered the tracks to 110% meaning the mastering engineers clipped the signal about 10%.The SACD masters are not driven this way so they will actually represent the mix. And you won't get listening fatigue

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #78 of 86
  well, you need to stop listening to cds and listen to vinyl.

the reason why commercial cds are too loud is that the record companies got together and mastered the tracks to 110% meaning the mastering engineers clipped the signal about 10%.The SACD masters are not driven this way so they will actually represent the mix. And you won't get listening fatigue

While of course listening to a lower resolution media like vinyl can be less fatiguing, much as why watching a vhs video to some can be less fatiguing on the eyes than blu ray, it is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  You may as well recommend listening to cassette tapes or the AM radio.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #79 of 86
  While of course listening to a lower resolution media like vinyl can be less fatiguing, much as why watching a vhs video to some can be less fatiguing on the eyes than blu ray, it is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  You may as well recommend listening to cassette tapes or the AM radio.

well there is a little bit more to it.

you see, the dynamic range reduction that is going on in commercial mastered cd's is very low. So your ears don't get to exactly rest like they should. The more limited the signal is, the more the tympanic membrane pressure is in the middle ear. Now its not to the extremes as Tympanic membrane retraction, but it does lead to tinnitus over time. This is why everyone needs to be mindful when listening to headphones for extended period of times.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #80 of 86
O
[/quote

Are you serious?

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #81 of 86
O
[/quote

Are you serious?

What's there not to be serious about? It is basic human physiology. All of human senses experience fatigue the greater the stimulus and the longer the exposure, hearing, eyesight, touch, smell and taste.  You agree that loud music is more fatiguing than quiet music?  Do you agree that taking in between breaks from listening to your stereo (regardless of volume) is beneficial to critical listening? All things equal higher resolution music or video is also more fatiguing than lower resolution (eg AM radio vs FM or DAB or vinyl/cassettes vs CD/hi res).

Of course individual differences apply, some get fatigued more than others. Why do you think some TVs have a "night" function which lowers the resolution (softens) the picture for more relaxed late night viewing? Myself I often prefer playing a record when listening late at night as it can be more relaxing than a focused CD or hi res (assuming comparable masterings of course).

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #82 of 86
  What's there not to be serious about? It is basic human physiology. All of human senses experience fatigue the greater the stimulus and the longer the exposure, hearing, eyesight, touch, smell and taste.  You agree that loud music is more fatiguing than quiet music?  Do you agree that taking in between breaks from listening to your stereo (regardless of volume) is beneficial to critical listening? All things equal higher resolution music or video is also more fatiguing than lower resolution (eg AM radio vs FM or DAB or vinyl/cassettes vs CD/hi res).

Of course individual differences apply, some get fatigued more than others. Why do you think some TVs have a "night" function which lowers the resolution (softens) the picture for more relaxed late night viewing? Myself I often prefer playing a record when listening late at night as it can be more relaxing than a focused CD or hi res (assuming comparable masterings of course).

Night mode doesn't "soften the resolution",  it lowers the brightness.  Brightness is what causes visual fatigue just as volume is what cases audio fatigue.  It has nothing to do with resolution.  Lower resolution may actually cause more fatigue, though in a different way, for psychological rather than physiological reasons as your brain must 'strain' to fix the signal.  Poor CD mastering is the equivalent of cranking up the contrast and brightness on a TV which would certainly be more straining.  

Nov 19, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #83 of 86
can i ask between ba drivers and dynamic driver iems and their negative impact on ears

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #84 of 86
  can i ask between ba drivers and dynamic driver iems and their negative impact on ears

it would be hard to weight the global pros and cons because BA drivers will usually be used in a sealed design while dynamic drivers usually work better with some venting.
that has an impact on signature, frequencies extension, isolation, and potentially how loud you'll listen to cover external noises. 
so it can be tricky to find only one answer.
you can read a lot on the ADEL topic in this section about why they feel a sealed design is bad. they have posted many relevant infos and I for one learned a lot. obviously they benefit from reaching a certain conclusion so it's good to look for other sources of information and focus on facts alone.

personally I feel that a great isolation is key because we want to listen to music that is a good deal above background noises, so loud noises mean louder music. nothing will be as bad as loudness at a physiological level. so I mostly use BA drivers inside very isolating IEMs as a way to keep my music at low levels. but I really don't know if that's better or worst than a little less isolation and some matter of venting, or a particular signature. in a perfect world where external noise didn't exist, then earbuds would probably be the best choice. nothing blocking the ear, no extra heat, humidity, wax pushed back into the canal...   so dynamic driver into an earbud into an anechoic chamber would be my first choice. but in a noisy town, earbuds are probably the most damaging of all. that's why I personally focus mainly on external noise and how to remove it.

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #85 of 86
one issue I have with iems in general is that I feel my ears clicking and popping when I insert them, and the sound becomes louder, so I have to hold my nose and breath in, b but if I drink something or talk the click and popping starts again, I do not know if this is normal or what, and I was wondering if I should see and ear doctor, and I noticed this with BA iems more than dynamic ones. Its becoming really annoying this clicking and popping

any idea about this issue?

also can i ask would full size headphones cause more fatigue than iems in general or its the opposite way?

thanks

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #86 of 86
one issue I have with iems in general is that I feel my ears clicking and popping when I insert them, and the sound becomes louder, so I have to hold my nose and breath in, b but if I drink something or talk the click and popping starts again, I do not know if this is normal or what, and I was wondering if I should see and ear doctor, and I noticed this with BA iems more than dynamic ones. Its becoming really annoying this clicking and popping

any idea about this issue?

also can i ask would full size headphones cause more fatigue than iems in general or its the opposite way?

thanks
That sounds like driver flex. It means you have a good seal and pressure differences cause the driver, especially BA's to move back and forth. You could try pulling up on the top of your ear during insertion to reduce trapped air, or try foam tips or some other sizes/styles.

I find full sized cans to be more fatiguing, probably because I push them louder than I do IEMs,but the sound signature could be contributing to it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back