List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #168 of 281
Digital front end is Gentoo linux computer server running a LVM2 Raid 6 array. All cds ripped to flac.There is not currently a CD transport in the system as it was never used so removed to recover rack space. The server is 10 feet away from the audio rack in a closet.

RME HD9632 soundcard connected by AES/EBU cabling to Electrocompaniet ECD1 DAC.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #170 of 281
Well I ordered a Bel Canto DAC3 today so I'll be joining the ranks soon (since it was my comment that started this, but I couldn't turn down a DAC that Stereophile says has the best digital performance they have ever measured). I'll be comparing to the DAC1 and selling whichever one I prefer.

Also it looks like you may need to lower your limit by $5 since the Bryston BDA-1 ($1995) looks like it's going to be an amazing DAC and perform better than a lot of the "big dogs".

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #171 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I ordered a Bel Canto DAC3 today so I'll be joining the ranks soon (since it was my comment that started this, but I couldn't turn down a DAC that Stereophile says has the best digital performance they have ever measured). I'll be comparing to the DAC1 and selling whichever one I prefer.

Also it looks like you may need to lower your limit by $5 since the Bryston BDA-1 ($1995) looks like it's going to be an amazing DAC and perform better than a lot of the "big dogs".

I wouldn't really look at what they say as anything more than an opinion. If you really wantto do that, you might as well include all the people who own the Cambridge 840c which is a so called "giant killer", in addition to others who own other sources. But then again, that defeats the purpose of this list
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #172 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't really look at what they say as anything more than an opinion. If you really wantto do that, you might as well include all the people who own the Cambridge 840c which is a so called "giant killer", in addition to others who own other sources. But then again, that defeats the purpose of this list
wink.gif

My second DAC3 arrived today. I have it nestled into my home headphone rig right beside the other one. It replaced a Benchmark, which is although a good unit, not quite up to the DAC 3 for my taste. And yes, that's mostly a matter of taste. I'm a big fan and think that even at $2000 ish, the Bel Canto is great value.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #173 of 281
I was minding my own business listening to an Esoteric DV-50 for the last four years when..........I turned it on and the display said "PGM Error" and the machine would do nothing.

It was sent to Esoteric in California for repairs $863
mad.gif
, then to Reference Audio Mods for extensive modification $3690
cool.gif
and after being without it for almost 3 months it arrived today!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I'm crazy, Sorry for the long story so....DV50 $5500 (list) + $3690 Mods = $9190
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #174 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asr,

Sorry that I did not update my profile soon enough. My Musical Fidelity kW SACD was gone 2 weeks ago.

Now, my main source is a 2008 version of EMM Labs CDSA SE (US$11,500), and my secondary source is a Bel-Canto CD-2 & DAC3 (L2 mod by Underwood HiFi) combo (US$7,000).

My profile have been updated.

F. Lo

Time to update again. Just committed my purchase of a Nagra CDP which would be in the house in a few days time. Just can resist the temptation of this compact US$13,495 red book CD Player. Size is a key consideration for me. This will be added to my source array ( all is going to stay).

F. Lo

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #177 of 281
nope, the pro version is like the 306 SACD V4. The V3 consists of a servo board change, new software, and a new sony chip that works at higher temps. I wish you could upgrade the V3 to the pro but alas you can't
frown.gif
We'll see, I was thinking to myself that this would be it for me in terms of upgrades but you can never permanently kill that bug that bites everyone so hard. Who knows, might end up selling this and getting the Pro
tongue.gif

The "v4" version or Pro costs $8000 and has the following from a snippet from another forum:
"The new CD 306 SACD Professional Version features a new servo board design with internal components tested to 105° C. The PMD-200 filter has now been replaced with a high quality Burr Brown filter chip set. HDCD decoding is accomplished with the absolute latest software available. The power supply has been beefed up with larger, multiple power transformers and higher current regulators. The internal wordclock frequency has been raised from 11.2896 MHz to 22.5792 MHz. A new aluminum loader tray that provides greater disc handling care completes the upgrade package. When I saw the vented top of the Pro version, I thought it might run hot, but according to Cary, the unit only gets warm in operation, similar to the 306 version 3."

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #178 of 281
I ordered Weiss Minerva for ultimate PC transport source, will join soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back